Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Nationwide/Nationwise Rod Shop????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill23t, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Bill23t

Bill23t

This is my first time to ask a question. I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on the old Nationwide/Nationwise (?) Auto Parts Stores? I'm looking for some information on valve covers that I have, they have NRS stamped into them. Told that it means Nationwide Rod Shop, from the late 60's early 70's. Wondering how to find out how old that they really are? I've had them for almost 20 years now. Was it actually a rod shop, or parts store. Heard that there used to be one in Columbus, Ohio. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Bill
    <!-- / message -->

2. It is Nationwise Auto Parts. I worked there in the 80's and still have some Rod Shop stuff (posters, handouts, etc).

"The Rod Shop" was a actual race team out of Ohio and Nationwise Auto Parts was a sponsor. Natinwise got to use the cars for promotions and to help sell speed equipment. We had a wall in the store with various speed and chrome parts for customers to dream on. It had a banner above it that said "The Rod Shop" hence the tie in to to the actual race team.

I have seen the valve covers in both SBC (staggered and straight hole) and BBC. They must be from the late 60's to early 70's just by the style of the NRS logo on the top.

Nationwise also sponsored some NASCAR teams in the early 80's. I still have a model kit somewhere in the closet.

Here is a pic of one of the last cars to carry the Rod Shop / Nationwise logos.

[​IMG]

and one from the early 70's

[​IMG]

3. Rodshop57

Rodshop57
    from Berry Ky

Bill, The valve covers that you have were sold through the Nationwise Auto Parts stores in 1975-76. They were produced for Chevy's, Ford's, Pontiacs, and about every other V8 engine. The Chevy's and Fords are the most common these days. I've got a set for the Small Block and Big Block Chevy and a buddy of mine has a set for a Small Block Ford. Nationwise and The Rod Shop joined together around 1974 and parted ways around 1987. Hope this helps some, Steve

Attached Files:

4. Rodshop57

Rodshop57
    from Berry Ky

Bill, The Rod Shop and the Nationwise Auto Parts Headquarters were both located in Columbus Ohio. Ohio had the most stores and all stores were on the East Coast. There were quite a few in Columbus, Dayton, Heath, Delaware, and Cincinnati Ohio. Nationwise was founded in (I believe) 1964 and closed all stores at 3:00 PM, Sunday October 15, 1995.

5. Bill23t

Bill23t

Thanks for the information to both of you, it's been alot of help and very interesting also. I remember the Nationwise Auto Parts, we had 2 here in Zanesville. The buddy of mine that I bought them off of remembers buying them in Columbus and he thinks that they had a shop out back that actually installed parts.(?). Kinda like a small Jeggs. After I bought them I thought that I was the only one in this area that had a set of them, until another buddy liked mine and found a set for a small block Ford that he put on his 302 in his 1970 Ford F100. Steve: I really liked your decal behind your valve cover picture and the way that you put it on your car, all of my windows in my garage are covered with decals. Thanks again, Bill Any more info is appreciated, I like the history of it all.

6. Badhabit

Badhabit

Bill, by your hamb name, it may interset you to know that they (Rod Shop) also campaigned a 23T with a Hemi in it. In reality, it was a pro stock 23T roadster. I actually owned the car for a year or two around 1978-79? I sold it to someone who I believe was from Houston or Dallas. I'd like to know what happened to it.

Good info rodshop57, nice car also!

7. earon1964

earon1964

Anymore info on the roadster?? Any pics???

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Man, THAT is an old pic of Bandimere's...what...??? Late '70's...???

R-

9. For some reason I'm flashing on some names like DeSantis and Krider for this car when it was run under the NRS banner. Car was candy apple red??? Maybe run as an A/SR???

Think NRS also had a hand in a Tommy Ivo T/F and/or F/C.

10. earon1964

earon1964

11. earon1964

earon1964

12. earon1964

earon1964

this is all i have of the roadster. Anyone have anymore of it?? who it is??

13. Couple more shots of Ivo's Rod Shop cars. Thought I remembered both T/f and F/C.

113_0110_ivo_20_k_z.jpg

113_0110_ivohr_cov_z.jpg

113_0110_ivo_7_k_z.jpg

TV7601.jpg

whbq_ihra_1977_tommy_ivo_fc.jpg

14. earon1964

earon1964

anyone??

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a Hot Rod article on the roadster, I will dig it out tonight and post it. P/S hemi and lenco IIRC.

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I watched that 23T with the Hemi run at one of the Ohio tracks back then. When that thing left the line it made you feel real "funny" about 10" below your bellybutton.:eek::cool::D

Frank

17. Badhabit

Badhabit

18. Badhabit

Badhabit

Yep, that's the roadster I owned for a year or two. I painted it candy apple green with panels/striping. I do have pictures of when I owned it but I will have to dust off my scanner and see what I can do to get them on here. The hemi and Lenco were long gone by the time I got it and the previous owner ran a 277 or 331 Booth Arons engine with a 'glide.

19. earon1964

earon1964

so this is the roadster?

Attached Files:

20. Ohio Rodder

Ohio Rodder

Wasn't the jingle something like "Nationwise, you low price, good advice auto parts store"?

21. Badhabit

Badhabit

Yes it is. The bump in the hood on the passenger side is to clear the hemi distributor. By the time I got the car it had more of a funny car cage to it and was difficult for me to fit into because I'm 6'3".

22. don's48

don's48

Don't know if you give a rats butt or not but I still have a couple of decals from the local Nationwise Auto Store that we had here. It is a wheelstanding drag car. A Chrysler, I think. I'll have to drag them out and look at them.

23. earon1964

earon1964

thats cool. post some pics

24. Dianne Metz

Dianne Metz
    from Zanesville

there's a page on Facebook for former Nationwise Auto Parts employees - just found it today. Somebody there posted Rod Shop also has a FB page. I'm sure some of the guys on there can answer your question. The Rod Shop was owned by Gil (Gilman) Kirk of New Albany, Ohio and was located in a rear shop at Livingston Avenue and I-70 on the east side of Columbus. Nationwise was the main sponsor of the race team.

25. earon1964

earon1964

26. Deuces

Deuces

I built one er two of the model kits back in them dayz!.... I think one of those kits was a Dodge Charger.. I don't remember the model year though.. :(

27. earon1964

earon1964

i think 71

28. Rose Racing

Rose Racing

does anyone have anymore pictures of the rod shop cars some of the greatest drivers in history have raced for them from Ronnie Sox to Mike Fons to Gene Dunlap to Don Carlton

29. earon1964

earon1964

i Have tons for pics. If your on facebook i made a Rod Shop page on there..

http://www.facebook.com/groups/104532049634533/

30. Thumper

Thumper

We had Nationwise auto parts here in Ga. I think they were bought out by one of the big chains.