Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures National Championship Drag Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

What an amazing contrast there is between the cars that ran in '55, '56 and '57 and those that ran just 10 years later, especially the dragsters.

3. pcterm2

pcterm2

things were sure a lot simpler back then,thanks for the video,it sure brings back a lot of good memories.thanks again

4. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Terry Cook is lately known mostly for his custom car involvement, but in the 60's he was a columnist for the legendary weekly publication, Drag News and in the 70's was editor of Hot Rod.

5. Great Ryan, reminds me of Half Moon Bay in the late 50's and Eagle field today.......................

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Perfect..yea.....Modern drag racing blows..... hard.

7. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Great Video. I was struck by how much the crowds had grown from 1955 to 1957.

8. Nostalgia (Bowling Green, CHRR) drag racing is still cool.

Modern Big Show NHRA, is nice and loud but the rest of their show...definitely losing its appeal.

Maybe if they ran nitro in EVERYTHING! Pro Stock, all the Comp classes, bring back Pro Stock trucks running nitro....make the rivers run with NITRO!!!!

www.highspeedmotorsports.com

9. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

My late older brother went to the Nats in 56 and I still have his program from the event.
    I was never able to pin down wether he ran his '32 Vicky there or just drove it up and back

10. sololobo

sololobo

Outstanding stuff! I see a few cars I think I recognize, Art Arfons jet dragster, possible Scorpion dragster, Gene Kidder of Omaha's red/white rpu. My hero George Roseland raced at the first Nats in Great Bend with a 40 coupe, and is still at it today with his teams 41 Stude coupe which will soon be on the salt flats breaking a goal of 200 mph. Thanx for the great memories. ~sololobo~

Attached Files:

11. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

Very cool video, love seeing the '50's stuff run.
    Some recognizable cars in the mix too (good music choice also) .
    Thanks for sharing that.
    Ken

12. terrydactile & Ryan -

Cool video ... Thanks for sharing!

Any video from the '58 OKC Nats?

13. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

It took me a little while to locate more info on it, but one of the more interesting cars in the video is Lloyd Scott's creation known as the Bustle Bomb.

[​IMG]

It first turns up at about the video's 44 second mark. It was a truly weird creation that had a 348ci Oldsmobile engine in the conventional location, but also a 391ci Cadillac engine dangling out beyond the rear axle. The result was the odd looking thing seen in the image above.

You can see some more images and read more about it HERE.

It's also been discussed in messages here from time to time (of course) and a search on "Bustle Bomb" will turn up a bunch of discussions where it was at least mentioned.

:cool:

14. autobilly

autobilly

Well filmed, if a little blown out in many places. Really captures the "relaxed and doin' it for fun" feeling of the times. Thanks Terry and Ryan.

15. flamingokid

flamingokid

That's someting I've always strived for:Simplicity and fun...if it ain't got both,it don't got me.

16. The Bean Bandits yellow dragster at 1:57 during the Great Bend portion.

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And in color, too! Love the old footage, great post.

18. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

The thing that ruined drag was racing was green and smells a bit like swass, yup, money. If money got a toe in the HAMB drags it would do the same thing, thank god it's held at bay. About the only big event that did not get ruined is B- Ville. This is a great video, and I always enjoy the music, you should have been a Music choreographer, Gershwin has got nothin' on you. Thanks

19. That video was great!
    And shmoozo,thanks for the link to the additional info on the Bustle Bomb.My grampa(Toby Cagle) worked alongside Noel Timney in machining/fabricating the dog style clutch set up on that thing.
    Also mentioned in the link was the use of disc brakes on that car.My grampa also designed & built the brakes for it.
    Thanks again for the video & yes the music fit right in.

20. 66cayne

66cayne

Yeah, many of the dragsters look like modified circle track cars. Some resemble cars I have built for pine wood derby..

Just Gary likes this.
  21. Thank you may i please have another

the cameo p/u at 448 is dreamy

22. autobilly

autobilly

Yeah, it really gets goin'!

23. Very cool to see old Great Bend. I love running there.

24. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

Cool footage!

Man, I think we have pretty similar music tastes. It's a shame not too many people know of that Doug Martsch solo album....

25. Half the reason why I like watching these video posts is for the music you put to them Ryan

26. There was music??? I was caught up in the cars.

WOW! I love the Masters Dragliner at 5:40 followed by the Arfons Green Monster.

27. christmas tree

christmas tree

Someone mentioned the Bustle Bomb with a Olds up front and a Caddy in the rear. The car is in the Garlits Museum and was the first car to break 150 in the Q mile It was in I think Aug. 1954 at Lawrenceville Ill. at the A.T.A.A. World Series of Drag Racing. Drag racing first nat. event pre dating the N.H.R.A. Nats. by a few weeks. Xmas tree

28. EPP

EPP
    from Oklahoma

love it. I enjoy seeing the clips from Great Bend. Grew up north of there and Dad dragged back in the day there. tnx for sharing

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've always like the pics of the drags with a COP on site. It always seemed, to me anyway, they were there in SUPPORT, more than in just a law enforcement capacity. I remember it being like this at Bremerton Raceway when I first started going there in the 70's. This thread, with a cop on the starting line, and him watching, seems to support that belief. Butch/56sedandelivery.

30. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks very much like how it was at Madera in 59/60--The Clutchers ran it and they had Nat'l Record runs there as well--Richard Brown (the barefoot flagman) was the flagger for a time as I recall