Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Spurgin/Giovanine inspired 1925 Chev roadster build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jimmy B, May 2, 2010.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The first time I went to Vietnam, we made a side trip to see Ankor Watt and Ankor Thom. On the way there, we stopped at this roadside restaurant on the Vietnam/Cambodia border. The bathrooms were in this separate little building about 100' behind the restaurant in the bush. On my way back from the john, I spotted a 4 quart mason jar on a shelf, with this BIG black scorpion in it. The scorpion was so big it was STUFFED into the jar, and just barely fit. It was about the size of a football. So I come back to the table, and ask my wife to ask the proprietor where they found it. She said something to my wife in Vietnamese, and pointed to the bathrooms. My said "she says out back, by the bathroom".:eek: My brother-in-law is a bioligist and works for the Vietnamese government. He tells me they are still discovering new, unknown venomous species there on a regular basis.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

got plenty of beer...I can wait.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. 63Compact

63Compact

Come on Jimmy its only a month till the reliability run!

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Is the starfire 4 related to the Chevy II 153c.i. engine, or the Pontiac Iron Duke 151c.i. engine?

5. I have Beer and Rum. oh wait, I need to get a move on. :)

Not this run unfortunately. I should have it rolling in the next couple of weeks.

No relation other than it is GM. The Holden 179ci 6 was cut down to a 4 and had a stock Hp rating of 76hp.

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stout tranny x-member, nice work!

7. Thanks :) I over built it so after a few years of driving with the 4 banger I can shoehorn a SBC without doing a complete rebuild.

8. I was cleaning the stub axles and pulled the inner bearing and got a nasty surprise seems the right stub has a gouge, seems at one point the inner bearing seized and started rotating on the axle :(:(:(:(:(:( So I will be on the hunt for a replacement stub at Toowoomba Swap, I'm not willing to take the risk of running it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I painted the axle
    [​IMG]

Got the rear suspension aligned & square I want to get it rolling than I can double check everything is as it should be with the wheelbase. I have to set up the cross steer than pull the chassis down and weld it back to the fixture & do final welding.

[​IMG]

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

With all the old parts we use there are bound to be surprises. That could probably be fixed as far as the bearing bearing area is concerned but it looks like it has been subject to a lot of heat. It may be weak. It's not like it's the only Ford spindle left. The frame looks good and plenty strong. Have you taken any gas from the "traditional" police for your triangulated four link? I can never tell what will set them off. I hope to do the initial mock up of my '26 in the next few weeks. I have lots of vise-grips. :D

11. That is why I don't want to use it, to many unknowns. Finding RHD spindles are a bit harder to come by but we'll see. A LHD right spindle will work, just need to cut off the steering link hole.

I have had no hassles yet, I have two builds on this thread so hopefully it slides. I am concentrating on this build so I can get it done. By mid year the other roadster will be the main focus of this thread. Keeping it all in one thread helps tell the story of the build.

12. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I've just had a look, I've got a spare lh spindle, the rh one failed the crack check, very small crack near one of the king pin lugs. Thought I may have solved your quest for parts, but to no avail....
    It's all looking good Jimmy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Glenn, sorry I didn't reply sooner the whole buying new spindles bummed me out. I appreciate you looking to see if you had what I needed. I think I will cough up the $$ for new spindles and steering arms.

On a better note I got the body on the chassis and I am redoing some things

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

& I am going to have doors. When I started I was 75kg (165lbs) now I am 86kg (190lbs) & can't jump in as easily.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started making new hinges
    [​IMG]

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That looks good Jimmy. Functioning doors this time around? I'll be watching that closely. Do you have stock hinges?

Been making progress in small ways. I have the tranny ready to put back together, have the steel and a template made for the trans adapter, one more hole to drill and I can assemble the distributor. Waiting for my tubing bender to arrive.

15. Can't wait to see what happens next! Thanks for including us in the journey!!

16. Kume

Kume

Great to see some progress Jimmy
    The inspiration continues.
    I have some spare door hinges if you are going stock - send me a pm. Although I do like following your fabrications.
    Kume

17. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

No stress Jimmy!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Got back from Toowoomba Swap Meet, sold some stuff and bought some stuff.

[​IMG]

Got spares for my '41 ute
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The items in following photos I paid $5ea part
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Update on hinges later

[​IMG]

20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Nice work big boy.

Somewhere in all the mess I call a garage I have an original Chev hinge. You've made a good copy.

21. Yeah I need the doors, beer gut is starting to protrude :rolleyes::( I don't have the stock hinges so I have fabricated new ones.

Are you steeling out your body?

Thanks for watching.

Thank you for the offer, I have one side almost done. If you don't use them I maybe interested for my next project.

:)

Hey that is Fat Boy! oh wait that is a HD trademark. Big boy will do. :D

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yes, I'm really lucky to have most of the wood. A lot of it is in good shape and will make great patterns. I'd like to leave some of it that could show maybe the doors and deck lid. But it needs to be strong or my road will shake it to pieces. I will try to bend 1" square tube to match the contour of the wood. I'll build the rest from whatever it takes. This is the only part that has me worried. I'll be relying on your pictures a lot. :cool:

Wow. Those hinges look great.

23. Kume

Kume

very nice work Jimmy

24. autobilly

autobilly

Looks like Toowoomba went well.:)

Jimmy B likes this.
  25. Not much happening on the roadster just doing some more chassis work.

1925 Chev Roadster or Gow Job

With all the gow jobs being built of late I thought I may as well start planning the build of a Chev based gow job or roadster. My '25 roadster has become OT due to a change in drivetrain, which I have done to make it more an everyday driver.

So I purchased some '25 Chev parts (6 ute loads) 2 weeks ago from a farm sale. The seller said he had an offer of $1000 over the phone, for whatever reason the person didn’t front with the cash so I went out the following week and offered $600 and got the lot. I am in the middle of sorting everything out, it may take a while but I will get a pile of needed parts together to have them sandblasted. With what I have now I have enough parts to build 3 other Chevs, 4 including my current roadster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is just some of it.

First up is to build a tourer (ing) like this

[​IMG]

Jim Faunuzeta 1935

[​IMG]

and/or a roadster like the Spurgin 1947 (minus Chrysler axle and aftermarket wires) after the above

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy, Outback, autobilly and 2 others like this.
  26. That's a lot of iron there Jim...good score. Hope there's a lot of useful stuff in the mix. Perhaps fill a swimming pool with molasses and throw the lot in for a couple of weeks!

27. Don't tell anyone I said this, but I kinda like the proportions of these mid-20's Chevys better than Fords of the same vintage.

Oops, too late :eek:

Can't wait to see what's next @Jimmy B!

Jimmy B likes this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Wow! What a stash of Chevy stuff! I could go for a gow job.
    OT? Yes the new forum has me confused as to my '26 build. I am almost ready to start a build thread but I don't know if it fits here any more.