Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Sep 26, 2013.

1. aldixie

aldixie

Just a couple of the car in the Salvage yard. I had been watching it for about 3 years as it was in a fenced off area that you couldn't get to. Engine turns over by hand which is good. Missing a couple of pieces of trim and has a dent lower drivers side fender. Single 4 barrel but still has the Batwing air cleaner.
    Looked at the floors and they look good same as the rocker panels. Body shop owned it before the salvage yard.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. chstitans42

chstitans42

Awesome, any pics of the engine and interior?

3. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong... if you need to weld around something that may catch fire, I'm to understand... heavy canvas... may be a suitable barrier or shield for welding. I took a community college adult night class welding course eight years ago, and I thought I remember the instructor saying that. Enjoy the updates to this thread and the '56 Chev thread.

Scott/Gotta56forme

4. aldixie

aldixie

Have one of the interior. Didn't take any if the engine. I was too excited and trying to put on a Poker face at the same time. It was too damn hot as well, mid afternoon in Houston is not the best time to look at a car.
    image.jpg

5. txturbo

txturbo

looks good Al....which trim pieces is it missing? I probably have them.

6. aldixie

aldixie

One of the vertical pieces on the rear fender is broken in half and the rear fender spear drivers side is in the car but looks like it was run over. Also drivers side lower fender trim has a curve to it where the dent is.

7. txturbo

txturbo

I should have that stuff

8. aldixie

aldixie

I'll PM you when the car is delivered. There may be other little bits I need. Don't want to hijack this cool thread.

9. chstitans42

chstitans42

Too excited and trying to put on a poker face huh? Sounds like someone got a great deal! Your interior is the same as mine. Want to sell your back seat anytime soon?

10. aldixie

aldixie

Yeah I saw what happened that's a bummer. Same nearly happened to me, I had some carpet on the garage floor but it was well away from where I was working. Some sparks had landed on it, I packed up what I was doing for the day and closed the garage an went back into the house. Luckily I had forgotten to switch out the light. Went back and the garage was full of smoke. The carpet had been smoldering for a couple of hours. I don't have any carpet in the garage now and now use a welding blanket.

11. chstitans42

chstitans42

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  12. aldixie

aldixie

What happened to the video?

13. aldixie

aldixie

Question for you, what size whitewalls did you use?

14. I tried watching the video earlier but was afraid I'd gone deaf. Now it turns out I might be going blind too! :mad:

15. chstitans42

chstitans42

Video fixed. I got my tires from Coker, I bought the P235/75R15 COKER 3 1/8 WW tires

16. aldixie

aldixie

That's the same size that I have been looking at as it's closest to the original tire size.

17. txturbo

txturbo

That's what I'm going to put on mine as soon as it's more road worthy. I got it on the lift this morning so now I can tear into and see where my big Tammy leak is coming from.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  18. chstitans42

chstitans42

Do you have a resto thread on yours? Id love to see pics of the progress!

19. aldixie

aldixie

I have found the company that does the correct woven material. Company is called SMS, they also can redo the door cards. They supply yardage but do not do seat covers. A ompany called Jenkins will recover seats but way out of my price range as they do interiors on Barrett Jackson grade cars.

20. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Here's their website: http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ If they don't have the material you need in stock they can weave it from scratch, but I would assume they would have the proper stuff for a Cadillac on hand. Be warned they do have a reputation for being very slow to respond to orders (particularly for door cards, it took them forever to get mine done), but if you're simply buying raw material by the yard they're reasonably quick in my experience. They will deliver the goods, you just need to be prepared to wait.

loudbang likes this.
  21. txturbo

txturbo

No....to busy driving it as is.....until a couple weekends ago. Got it on the lift. Got a transmission leak to fix.

22. txturbo

txturbo

They have some Cadillac stuff but not all of it. They didn't have the fabric for mine.

23. chstitans42

chstitans42

I have heard them taking a YEAR to do peoples door panels etc. That is crazy! I Bet they are good though

24. aldixie

aldixie

I got some pictures up of mine on a new thread. Spent most of the afternoon trying to find a tire for the rear and then didn't realize the lug nuts were reverse thread. Broke two studs, doh.

25. chstitans42

chstitans42

26. chstitans42

chstitans42

27. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

28. chstitans42

chstitans42

Which one?

29. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair