Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My new Banger, part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodz, Nov 4, 2012.

1. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys,
    After searching the internet for the last six months for the perfect candidate for my 40s style banger build, I stumbled upon an add in Seattle Craigslist for a 1930 Model A Tudor Sedan with an asking price of $7995. Pictures looked great so my buddy and I cruised down from Langley B.C. to check it out on Thursday night. Well, this thing is better than it looked in the pics. It had a frame off resto done by the father and son in 1970 and has only had 1986 Miles put on it since. It has been stored in their garage and only ever taken out for short summer cruises in the last 40 years. The father isnt well and passed the car onto his son (now 53 years old) who helped build it with him. The son kept it at his parents place and cruised it around when he could. A few months ago the son had some complications with his Diebetes and the Docs had to take his left leg Just above the Knee. Needless to say he could not drive the car and regretably decided to sell it. They were very nice people and we struck a deal for $7400. I went back down on Sat and trailered the car up to Everson WA. where it is sitting in my buddys shop while I wait for the paperwork to clear the boarder and I can import it into Canada.
    I am not going to start a build thread on this yet as I am going to have to sell my other car before I can afford to tear into it. I was just eager to share it with everyone. This is a pic of my son and I after we loaded it on the trailer.

Attached Files:

car doctor, 1stGrumpy, bct and 2 others like this.
  2. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Sweet little ride....

3. A Rodder

A Rodder

I KNEW that one was a deal. I seen it when it first hit but I was to damned if I was going back to Seattle for another car.

You did good buddy, it was any closer I would have snagged it up.

Can't wait for the progress to start.

4. kennkat

kennkat

Very Sweet Little "A"!! That was a super buy, in my opinion... what kind of "build" you have in mind??:):):)

5. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Nice ride... Now lets start cutting !!

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys,
    Plans are for removing the fenders and splash aprons, Juice brakes, mild chop (2.5-3"), solid wheels with bigs and littles, deuce grill and a one piece hood with open sides, lowered a couple inches, and a few go fast goodies for now. :)

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. A Rodder

A Rodder

........you know, on a tudor 2.5-3" is only like 1.5-2" on a coupe :)))))

8. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didnt realize there was a difference in the roof heights between the coupes and tudors. Maybe Ill have to rethink that, Ill start measuring when I get it home this week.

9. I was watching that one....I only had $6500 in my pocket...Glad it found a good home.

10. A Rodder

A Rodder

well?........

11. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

12. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I got it across the boarder and in my garage with out any problems. Sold my other car so I can start working on the Ford. Going to be a slow go. Trying to keep my kids involved as much as possible so not a ton of time to work on it yet. We got the bumpers and brackets off and started to remove the fenders and splash aprons today. Found some piss poor work under the rear fender mount bolts that will need repaired, but no big deal. Sorry, kind of a weak update. Cant upload pics right now either. Ill try again tomorrow.

13. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

okay, I think Ive figured out how to post some pics. The kids helping me get started taking it apart. :) Ive been sick so not much else has happened. Hoping to get some more done this weekend.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. A Rodder

A Rodder

Awesome, I went and looked at a roadster and another coupe yesterday.

I have been waiting for an update on yours

15. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joe, are you starting a collection? :) Good on ya.
    I found a 1940 Banjo diff on Craigslist with an open conversion already done. Drove down to Graham WA to pick it up yesterday. Pretty happy about the score.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. A Rodder

A Rodder

That is a score for sure!

17. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, its been a slow go. Got the fenders and aprons off. Ordered some posie super slides front and rear and got them in last weekend. That brought it down 1.5". Looks better but needs to come down another inch or so. Been working on my taillight mount and mounting the headlights.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

Ive been collecting 16 inch solids for the car, Ive got two good 16x4.5s that I am going to use for the back, and one good 16X5 ( Iam not going to use so it will be up for sale). Ive also got two 16x4s that I will run in the front. One is date stamped 1940 with the square inner drop center and the other is date stamped 1947 with the tapered inner drop center. I need one more 16x4 to match either one to make my set.
    A friend of mine lent me his solids with 16x7.00 firestones and 16x6.00 firestones to mount and see if they are the sizes I want to run.
    [​IMG][​IMG][/URL]/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I like the tires sizes but I am having a hard time deciding on rim colour and whether or not to go white walls or black walls. I want to run black walls but the wife and kids realy want white walls. Dark rims and black walls seem to make the car to dark. I was thinking of painting the solids the same colour as the stock wires and black wall tires. What do you guys think?
    I was thinking of posting it on the photoshop thread and seeing if anyone can put some colour on the rims so I can see what they will look like.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  18. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

My vote is; wheel color the same as the yellow spokes...with black walls. However, a happy wife is a happy life, if she and the kids want to go with whitewalls.... Nice to see your kids are taking an interest.

19. A Rodder

A Rodder

How are you mounting the solids to the stock drums that are made for the wire wheels?

20. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wheels are just bolted on right now to see how it looks, car is only sitting in the garage and not going anywhere. 40 juice brakes will be going on the car. Still searching for some parts.

21. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

I really like the look with the dark wheels and blackwalls.

22. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LN7 NUT "Installed" some wide whites for me, painted the rims black and popped on the hub caps in the photoshop thread. What do you think? I would still like to see it with the black walls and factory coloured rims.
    [​IMG][/IMG[​IMG]

23. SJR

SJR

Nice little car got a update?

24. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

I would definetly go with 750's on the rear and 550's on the front. The 750's look way better and with 550's on the front you'll have a perfect rubber rake. Plus the taller the rear tire the more speed you'l get out of her. Every bit helps with those bangers.

Rims I would paint black or body colour with white or black walls. The straw colour suits a wire wheel. but if you put it on a steelie it will be too much and over powering.

Good luck

25. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been working hard on the car the last month. I ve had problems posting pics so kind of stopped with the updates. Sorry, I went a different route with the rims, I bought a set of wide five rims and some killer set of mint wide five spider hub caps. So Ive been hunting down some good wide five drums with not much luck.
    I went with Firestone wide white 7.50s on the rear and 6.00s on the front. Pick them up tomorrow. I bought a set of Lincoln style hydrolic brakes from Richard from The Early V8 Garage and have been working on getting them installed. Hoping to get in on the road for Duece Days, might be a little ambitious.
    I will try and post some pics tomorrow.

26. A Rodder

A Rodder

Still need drums?

I got some....
    PM me

27. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG][​IMG][/URL]/IMG]
    A friend of mine gave me this rear view mirror for my car, he found it back in the 80s under the back seat of a 32 Vicky he had bought and never used it. I dont know if its original or not but its cool and I have put it int he car.

28. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]/IMG]
    This what I made for my rear tail light mount and to cover the ugliness that remained after I removed the spare tire mount.

29. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG][​IMG][/URL]/IMG]
    Started the juice brake conversion, I bought a set of lincoln style bendix brakes front and rear from EarlyV8 Garage. This is what I started to make for my M/C mount. It ended up working very well.

30. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG][​IMG][/URL]IMG]
    I found two mint rear wide five drums that measured up at 12.011" and 12.012" . I machined off the 3/16" to clear the backing plates and got them all together. The front drums I found are not great but will do for this summer. It was a hard week, working on the car till 1am every morning to try and get it together to drive to Duece Days. This pic was taken at 9 am on the friday morning that we were to leave. I had worked till 3:30am and slept till 6:30 and then back at it. Got it together at 11:30, did a lap around the block and brought it back in the garage to check for fluid leaks and re adj the brakes. Packed some tools and went to get insurance while the wife and kids washed the blue off the WHite Walls. We had a 3:00 ferry to catch and I had no idea what this was going to be like to drive.

volvobrynk likes this.