Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration My high school sweet heart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drove a 1964 Olds Holiday Coupe all through high school. Not a hot rod by any means, I was usually the guy that got tapped to drive when there were a few of us that needed to get somewhere.

I'm pretty thankful my high school sweetheart and I went separate directions after high school. She's a nasty looking ol' broad nowadays, all wrinkled up from smoking for too many years, and when she quit smoking she must have taken up eating lots of bacon and potato chips.

2. HA HA That's funny. I dodged some big ones too. pun intended.lol

kbgreen and volvobrynk like this.
  3. No rod- 53 Ford 2-door Customline- did not marry any of the girls I dated in HS-

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. Sweet 16 at Daytona Beach

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Look out, 16 will get ya 20 in most states, lol. I noticed that they put the stickers on the front plate?

Ron Funkhouser and volvobrynk like this.
  6. I was the first in our group to get a license to drive back in '62. Poorer than a church mouse so the fella that let us hang around his garage to help pump gas and do windows gave me a '51 Olds 4 dr sd with no engine/tranny. It was a start. He let us use the back of the garage to work on our wrecks. Another family friend who owned a junk yard gave me a '50 convertible which had a good 303/hydramatic that became the power for the '51. Drove that for a month until at dusk one night a tractor decided to drive on my side of the road. Bought a 47 Ford coupe for $5 from a neighbor at the garage and we put the 303 with a '37 Lincoln trans in it. Drove that for two years thru school without a starter as I couldn't afford the crossover. It was a ball as long as you had some passengers to help push to start! Fortunately, I lived in the country and on a hill so getting going was never an issue. Then I met my wife and her dad would not let me park that wreck in his front yard so it went away, replaced by a 58 Dodge hardtop.
    As they say those were the good years.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Funny I had a dad not let their daughter go in the Rod. So I had to take my dads wagon. lol

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

nope, it was a 261.

9. verde742

verde742

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Feel free to straighten me out, but I thought it was 181, 194, 207,
    Second gen. 216, 235, 261.
    Third gen. 194, 230, 250 and 292.
    And then there was a Jimmy 275 (?) And 302.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    49ratfink likes this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My high school sweetheart was perfect;
    flathead,
    blower,
    single exhaust,
    hairpins,
    quick change,
    suede,
    skirts,
    slammed,
    big headlights,
    no brakes,
    loose in front,
    tight rear,

Never owned a car, rode the bus... miss that girl though.

12. She was 16 but we were on our honeymoon . Had to put her threw high school . THE sign at Days Inn said kids stay for free . I asked if that included my wife ha ha

gotta56forme and czuch like this.
  13. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

55 Nomad lowered so low I kept bangin the headers on railroad tracks if going to fast.

14. I have 56 nomad and have same problem .Some of us never learn . ha ha

15. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a 66 caddy convertible , black , white top , big back seat.....Cathy fit just right.....we had make out fests back there......

16. verde742

verde742

THE DAY WE TOOK SPRINGS OUT TO SEE HOW IT WOULD LOOK.....:rolleyes: FullSizeRender(28).jpg FullSizeRender(27).jpg

enloe, clem, Ron Brown and 2 others like this.
  17. My 1st car was a 55 chevy with a 283 bored out 30 over with a 4 speed trans.We had state inspections back in N.J. then so I packed the glass packs with steel wool. When I got to the inspection station the guy got in and reved the daylights out it blowing out the steel wool. Well the 4 speed trans had a 3 speed shifter handle on it so when the guy tried to drive it up to the brake inspection pads he kept throwing it in to reverse. The guy was yelling at me WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH CAR???I was laughing my ass off. The car never did pass inspection but I drove it for over a year and had a lot of fun with it and tickets. with it.I wish I would of stayed with my 1 st girl friend then.Bruce. P.S. Sorry I don't have any pictures of it.

volvobrynk and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. That's kool I do that kind of stuff all the time , just for fun. Were you cutting your springs or just playing. Made some great photos !!!

19. Tickets are just reseats for having FUN ha ha enjoyed your story THANKS !!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I built my hotrod 28 roadster for highschool ,I got it running first 1959,worked on some parts in highschool metal shop to make changes like adding drilled holes in things{thought that looked racy. Had to buy a beater Henry J also,so that I'd have a car with a top for rainyday vs the hotrod fair weather only . I build a lot of hotrods ,customs and racecars over the years,but kepted my first rod. Got to go back to my highschool reunion this passed year an take a photo of my rod n me in front of my old highschool. The rod looks better now with added chrome headers and a folding top updates,but both me an the gals I dated in school are a tiny bit less pretty then we were in the very early 1960s. There's a thread on my last rebuild I posted a few years ago;http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ng-on-my-hotrod-28a-from-1959-rebuild.793393/
    MiamiHighSchool1963\'2015.jpg

21. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DAMN...this car is exactly the same color as the one I had, one of the many cars I wish I still had. Went to many outdoor movies parked backwards and watched from the backend with tailgate open

Ron Funkhouser and dana barlow like this.
  22. verde742

verde742

one of three I had,, this one cost $600 in 1963, Less than a year sold it to a friend for a $1000, after I put 2"blocks in the back and cut a coil and 1/2 in the front.

23. That's cool ROD AND A NEAT STORY. I had a 38 coupe and vette in high school. I had to sell the coupe to build a 34 Dodge sedan delivery, It was a child hood dream ROD, that got me loving hot rods as a kid. You never forget your first LOVE . If it is a Car or a GIRL !I drove the vette to my class reunion also. CLASS OF 72 . MY best friend and I were the only ones to still have our cars. He has a 58 Chevy 2 door Biscayne . Thanks for your story I love reading this type story, such good memories !!!!.

dana barlow likes this.
  24. mkebaird

mkebaird

My '56 Merc in 1965. 312ci, 3speed, 4:11. Quick between stop lights! DaMerc.jpg

Dig the high water pants!
    56Merc.jpg

25. You WON! the FUNNYEST post award! I laughed myself silly. lol

dana barlow likes this.
  26. Ron , its a good thing I knew most of the cops over in the next town where I would drive it{to see my girl friend} 1 night the red lights came on behind me and {Jerry the cop} came up holding a long piece of my straight pipe exhaust .He said you lose something ? Then saw the red inspection sticker {failed inspection} and said Bruce are you ever going to get this thing through inspection? I said I am REALLY trying to. He just shook his head and walked back to his car.Those were the GOOD days. Bruce.

clem, Ron Funkhouser and volvobrynk like this.
  27. Nice Merc has the gasser look. Did you run slicks? I see the cool radius.

28. That's too funny. I left my girlfriends house one night dumped the clutch right beside the town cop ,I was looking in the mirror at my girlfriend and did' nt see him parked there. So just pulled on over before he could even start his car. He ask what I was thinking. I told him I had a problem with my clutch ,He was nice guy,and liked old cars. He just told me to get it fixed . A few days later I saw him at the local store. HE ask if I got that car fixed. I said not yet , It still spins the wheels .He just laughed. He later had to give me a few tickets. I dissevered . My recites for playing. ha ha

AHotRod, Bruce Fischer and volvobrynk like this.
  29. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

My high school days were a lot less exciting then most of yours sound like they were. I have a sister that is a year and 4 days older then me. The first ride for both of us was a 64 Olds dad kept when they wouldn't give him what he thought it was worth for a trade in. Sis drove it a year before I got to "share it" with her. Sis didn't drive well, she hit a lot of stuff with the Olds, it was pretty beat up before I started driving it. Fortunately, she had boy friends that had cars, so usually the Olds was available for me. The girls I dated in high school were not the girls I would have wanted as a wife, which is OK, because they didn't want me as a husband either. They were just dates.

I was the youngest of the 4 guys I hung around with most of the time, and all of them had newer (and much nicer) cars then the 64 I was driving, so I rode with them a lot. Driving to school was not something we got to do around our house, the big yellow bus stopped right in front of our house every day, dad determined it was perfect transportation for us to use to get to school. Sis and I often arranged for friends to pick us up at home so we could be with the cool kids and arrive in a car with friends rather then have to get off that bus. Both of us got involved with after school activities or we got jobs after work so the school bus didn't work so well for daily transportation. Dad finally let me drive to school about mid way through my junior year.

The only saving grace with the Olds was that we discovered that 394 4 barrel could run pretty hard! We could cruise around at night with my 3 buddies causing trouble, then we would pick up the parked Olds, all pile in, and go hunting. Even with 4 of us in the car, it was pretty strong stop light to stop light. We put a whooping to a bunch of guys that thought their stuff was so hot. Getting beat by a 4 door, beat up, daddy's ride, with 4 guys in it, was a bit of a sting. It was a lot of fun, until I broke it one night.
    I had to buy the replacement for the Olds. It was a 69 Buick 2 door hard top (about 1/2 way through my senior year). It may have been good car for someone else, but I seemed to break something about every other week. I traded that off the first week after I made that last car payment, but that was past the high school years.
    The Buick was a great cruiser (when it wasn't broke), and my current wife (40 years in May) and I had our first date in it. Gene

volvobrynk likes this.