Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my first hot rod...'30 ford sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 2345.coupe, May 27, 2013.

1. well, I'm out of my "comfort zone" with this build. I've learned a lot on the HAMB and have tons more to learn. I've always wanted a hot rod so here I go.......
    copied the step by step directions for the chop from a thread on the HAMB.....thanks fellow HAMBer......
    like you all say, measure,measure,measure,measure,measure...cut.......5 1/2"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. turdytoo

turdytoo

You are off to a good start. Remember though, build it to please yourself.

FlatJan likes this.
  3. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

^^what he said X2~ looking great!

4. Nice slice !!!!!!!!!!

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Chop is looking good...

6. kennb

kennb

Chop looks good. 5 1/2" is a big chunk. Have you ever sat in a chopped top ford. I'm not knocking your project but you don't want to build something that looks cool but is uncomfortable or hard to drive. Ken

7. zjerry

zjerry

Nice Job on the Chop , Looking Nice .

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nice chop!
    But, hey, you're supposed to do all the dirty work of building a chassis, etc. first. No fair jumping straight to fun stuff like chopping tops ;)!

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you're having a great Memorial Day weekend! I love the hard chop...imo, it's so much of what makes a hot rod a hot rod. As far as comfort, at least a sedan allows the seats to be mounted rearward for good leg room. So what that ya can't see...lol.

10. yea, for me it's not about comfort ...it's about "how it looks" and "sound mechanics"..plus how fast and how loud.......

yea, I've put a lot of thought into the chassis part of the build. That's the part that puts me out of "my confort zone"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    it's not that much IMO.........!
    thanks guys.........

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  11. well, back on her.......got the top all welded in place and secure....first layer of metal on metal filler applied and sanded down...ready for another layer...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Nice start, keep the pics coming

13. thanks for the encouragement.......by posting on my build thread I got the opportunity to read your build thread...man what a cool sedan....lots of great ideas for me to consider incorporating into my build. Lots of "answers" to a lots of "how do I do this" questions I have.
    thanks again man...........

14. brady1929

brady1929

15. thanks man, I saw it done this way on the H.A.M.B. and copied it.......

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

Kool project! Sir, My hats off to you.You have some skills. Chop looks perfect to me, I'm sure the rest will be as good as the start , its going to a "bitchin" rod. John

17. thanks John......

18. Like you I did mine by myself so if you have any questions shoot me an email. You look like an ol pro so doubt I'll hear a peep.

19. Christom

Christom

Woooow - that's a kick-ass chop alright! That'll make for one sure as hell bad-ass looking rod! Can't wait to see how this one comes together. Would look real mean with early mags and ww cheaters! Low 'n loud!!

20. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Awesome chop, your off to a really good start, wish I was that far along so far my build thread consists mainly of the parts I've collected

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Man that is a great looking chop alright, Im right into my tudor now and I'll be watching with interest how yours is progressing.
    Keep up the great work. Jason..

22. thanks man, I'm happy with the "look".

23. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

I know exactly what you mean, I have found two of the biggest things I need for my project and I'm to broke to get them lol

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

your chop is gorgeous! Save the pieces you cut out. Someone else can use them

25. thanks man,......I always save everything.....

26. got the filler sanded. It was suggested that I do the rest of the bodywork AFTER the body gets bolted to the frame. The body will probably flex a considerable amount and cause problems in filler work that's already been done. So, I think it's a good suggestion that I'm going to follow.
    Also epoxy primed the bare metal and bodywork.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. WTF......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ok...here's the deal.....I have a '54, 331 chrysler new yorker hemi at Quinton Bros. Racing in Vt. that they rebuilt,etc.,still needs pulleys etc.plus I need to start giving some more cash to get it done.Hopefully in the spring I can pick the hemi up. So, personally I can't see continuing this build until I have the motor to mock up,maybe I'm wrong but that's the plan........So I'm back on my original project I started years ago, this time I'm gonna see it through till finished (registered and drives)...'30 ford coupe
    [​IMG]
    http://bulk-
    [URL=http://www.slickpic.com/s/NuE11MMNGuMlED/30ModelACoupeBuild/photo?view=6187253#6187253][IMG]http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/photo/share/NuE11MMNGuMlED/700/p/6187253.jpg

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813232
    also, so I don't get too bored, I working on a '40 ford modified truck, aka, tire burner.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

uve chopped it too much ruined the car

29. thanks for your feedback

30. Icufltrn

Icufltrn

Damn man you don't waste anytime getting into another project..