Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My shoebox build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nevrDUN51', Feb 9, 2016.

1. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

Seriously Wizz, look what I chose for a name on here.

2. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

Is there a "stock while I enjoy it and get my ducks in a row" section that I should be posting in until my car is custom? I'm just a little lost on where you're coming from Wizz. It was my first post.

3. NevrDun: Your fine right where you are. Keep on keepin on. You'll pick up on who to pay attention to and vice versa. Tim

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Ok,, If it's not a Traditional Custom or Traditional Hot Rod things just go on the Hokey Ass Message Board. That makes it Non descript or general Car chat I guess. Then there is a Intro Board for first time postings. So, sorry if it felt like I jumped on ya, like I said "A good place to start" and I was looking for the Kustom part. So here ya go, have a run at me if ya like. This is what I call Very mild Kustom. I got big shoulders as well as a sense or Humor. Bout Time 002.jpg Under the Hood 001.jpg P1010187.JPG P1010188.JPG 51 Upholstery 002.jpg
    The Wizzard

volvobrynk and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  5. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

I don't take runs on people's rides. I just don't ride with them.

6. Pete

Pete

Unfortunately you'll also have to deal with many folks here just like the WIZZARD who always seem to find the downside or think they're the HAMB police.... They know everything about everything and will certainly let you know....

But don't fret because there's plenty of folks here that will appreciate your love for the automobile..... And don't be fooled, most of the Police who preach "traditional" or "period correct" are running non tradition parts.

All in all, you'll like it here.

I'm not going to sign off because you already know who I am thru my avitar.

7. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Nice car! Welcome to the board.

8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Nevrdun51
    Excellent responses to an unwelcome critic

9. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Cut the roof off that toilet already!

10. 1940 coupe

1940 coupe
    from nj

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of things worth mentioning. First, you said that the 3 deuces came off a '32. If that car had a later (8BA type) engine, you're fine. If they are for a '48 or earlier engine, there will be problems with the oil fill and road draft tube. If you're going to do any mods on the engine beyond the carbs, adding a PCV system will solve most of those problems. Second, you mentioned dropped spindles. If you would be satisfied with a moderate lowering (2 to 3 inches), later model Ford Aerostar front springs are a drop in replacement and work great.

Your car looks great! I have a visor on mine, because it came that way. I'm not sure I really like the looks of it, but they are very practical if you do any driving into the sun.
    reunion 010.JPG

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  12. Channel49

Channel49

So far so good!
    I already bought mine 'custom' but I'm in the same boat as you - looking for some parts to make the car safe, reliable and, well, nicer in every way. I have a ways to go but it's the journey I'm excited about as much as the ending of the project...which will probably never happen! Always tinkering!

13. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

RAY! Holy crap, I was hoping you'd find my post on here. Your roadster is looking all sorts of bad*ss. Can you believe I finally got an old car??

14. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

Thanks for the advice man. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge and combined number of years experience you guys all have. As far as the carbs, it's just the carbs. I don't have the manifold or linkage. I plan on using either a Navarro dual racing style or trip intake, because being someone who has built quite a few performance motors, I'd have a hard time seeping at night with 2 carbs over the middle and rear intake ports but the front being left all alone! Anyway, that's down the road so I'll keep looking at options and everything.

Also, thanks for the windstar spring advice, although I don't usually lower A-arm style suspensions with springs. I like to maintain and sometimes even upgrade the geometry between the upper and lower arms and things like swaybar position and caster. Simply lowering a car with a camber kit, however acceptable for most, is not acceptable to me. It puts the ride height in a different arc of the suspension travel and can cause all sorts of weirdness. You guys will find I'm a bit particular when it comes to brakes, steering, and suspension.

I will never have something like my buddies 53 Chevy 3100 hot rod. It's got a 400 horse 383 with full manual juice drums and factory suspension and REAR END. It's been driven less than 1000 miles in the 4 years since he put the motor in, because it doesn't stop, turn, or handle the bumps worth a crap!

15. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Nice car! Love the color. I'm only a couple of hours away from you heading south. Welcome to the HAMB.

16. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

Whereabouts are you? I purchased the car in Ware, MA

17. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

So East area between the Cape and New Bedford.

18. Tricky53

Tricky53
    from Bend, OR

Welcome! Nice car! I like what your plans are for it. Your car, your vision, your life! Have fun and thats going to be a really nice car for ya.

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Neat car. I think three weeks is plenty long enough to put a car together though.:D:p

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a note. After installing my Aerostar springs, I took my car to the local alignment shop. They had no problem getting it back to factory specs. I am totally satisfied with the results I obtained. I too, am a bit leery of changes to suspensions, especially altered major components.

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

Nice Ride ! Welcome !

22. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

Just a bit of knowledge here:

As far as suspension function goes, initial alignment at ride height is not actually the major important factor. It's the sweep or arc in which the suspension functions and how it effects all of the geometry. Basically, the angle of the spring and shock absorber at intended ride height is chosen for a specific reason. Since progressive rate springs weren't commonly used back then, the angle of the shock was chosen so that as the suspension was compressed it moved through an arc and it would change the effective rate of the spring. Therefore, if you lower a car with shorter springs, although you may be able to correct the negatively effected camber, your effective spring rate starting point and change curve will be completely different than your stock setup was, most likely ending up some amount stiffer with an unknown rising rate. Also, as a suspension is lowered, all the angles of the steering linkage are changed. Tie rods that were once pitched down from the centerlink are now level with it, causing all sorts of unique and potentially unwanted results.

I hope I'm not sounding rude, just wanted to explain my thought.

Anyway, so basically, I like to learn the geometry of my suspension, decide what they did right and what they did wrong from the factory (as far as my needs and desires are concerned) and then either change or maintain the factory geometry, albeit intentionally. As a mechanic that dealt primarily with straight axle and a-arm suspension combo's, I've found certain geometries that I like.

Thanks so much for your input and compliments folks. It's truly appreciated.

23. Good look'in car, welcome.

24. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

Update: So, lost the motor just beyond 80,000. I guess after 65 years it retired. Ha. Ha. Ha. Anyway, I yanked it out and assessed the carnage which was minimal, just lost the rings on the rear two cylinders. Not a huge deal. I think it was even possible that the rings were already gone on one and went on the other after a spirited jaunt down the highway. Bloody 3.91 gears. SO, I called around and every machine shop quotes 12 weeks to get it done. At LEAST 12 weeks. I figured at this point that I would call around and see if I could find a motor. Well I ended up having a gentleman whom I found through a connection here on the H.A.M.B. build me a motor. He's 72 and has been building flatheads for around 50 years.

I decided on a 4" Merc crank with stock type pistons, bored .080 over netting a 266c.i., out of what he had to pick from. I'm having him install hardened valve seats with all new stock style valvetrain, Zephyr springs, hollow Johnsons, a Schneider 260F cam, and headers from Reds down into 30" magnaflow glasspacks. For now, due mostly to my wallet developing a serious cramp from overuse without proper warm up, I'll be running a stock intake with a single 2 barrel, and stock heads. My plans are for this fall to install a 3 deuce intake and either Navarro or Edelbrock heads, I haven't decided which. A good friend of mine gave me 3 deuces off of a friends 51 that the guy literally labeled f, m, and r. Its cool. Aaaaanywho, So the motor is going to be headed my way in the next few days from SLC, so I should have it in the car by the season opener of my buddies car club, May 1st. Here are some pics of the engine parts that I've painted. I'm using a copper color rather than the factory bronze for the intake and heads, black for the block and accessory bodies. I'm a really big fan of the high dollar cars from the turn of the century when under the hood was impeccably detailed with polished metals and colors abound. Hopefully my colors don't offend anyone.

As soon as the motor is in and running good. I've purchased a cool unique visor that is a cool blue color and I plan to paisley lace my roof in a complementing navyish blue. I think the blue and bronze will be a cool contrast. The blue color is the color from an old Harley that I wrecked, so I kind of like the idea of carrying it on to my new toy.

I've also done a ton of maintenance including ANOTHER rear diff, this time with 3.31 gears to get the RPMS down, rear wheel bearings, new clutch and machined flywheel, motor mounts, waterpumps, and a whole bunch of other BS.

Believe it or not, I plan to DD this all year as long as I can till it snows. She's my babe and I love her even though like most women, as soon as I got to know her, she kicked me in the chest and then grabbed for my wallet.

25. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

26. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Welcome, nice car and from what I've read from you it sounds like you will have a lot to offer with your suspension knowledge. Looking forward to your build here.

27. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car. welcome

28. Now those are two fine looking Fords!

29. Thanks bobg1951chevy, they're just for fun.

30. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

image.jpeg image.jpeg Motor is going in today! Will post video when it's running. Headed over to lay the final coats of paint and drop it in.