Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

My first build; 1955 First Series Panel Truck.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jun 27, 2011.

?

As it is right now, what do you think this hunk of junk it worth?

1. $0 - $500

21 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. $500 - $1000

23 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. $1000 - $1500

25 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. $1500 - $2000

35 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. $2000 - $2500

23 vote(s)
    12.8%
  6. $2500 - $3000

17 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. $3000 +

35 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Check out post #117 for my epiphany.

1955 First Series Chevy Panel Truck

I have been working on this truck for a few years now, but the sites that I have been using so far either provide me very little feedback or the feedback I get is useless because I know more than everyone else on that particular site. Truth be told, I don't know jack. This is my first build; I've never done anything this extreme. I have made a million mistakes already and have a few million more to make.

The reason I am posting here is because I want ideas, suggestions, and even warnings. I'm posting what I have done so far and I'll keep posting on this thread as I keep working on the truck.

I'll post pictures in order if at all possible. Other pictures are at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3145561/1955-chevrolet-panel-van/page-3

Feel free to ask questions and throw advice at me!

The day I "found" it. Paid $500.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I knew I wanted it bagged but I had very little money to spend. So, I decided to use an S10 frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I laid the frame out as far as it would go. I didn't use drop spindles.
    [​IMG]

Then I tore the truck to hell:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. Strangers29

Strangers29 Member

Awsome build dude, i got word on where a nice chevy panel truck is sitting. Had been rebuilt 20 years ago and has sat since then. Seeing your build here kind of makes me want one now!
  3. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Then the frame swap from hell:

[​IMG]

Got the truck on top of the frame and lined everything up before making mounts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I eventually got an engine out of an 86 Chevy (turned out it was worthless), but it let me cut up the floor and firewall and put a new one in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I cut out the flooring that was no good anymore. Here's what I had left:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the start of a new floor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Thanks man! It's been a lot of fun so far. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it!
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Almost finished firewall:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't want a super pretty firewall. I plan on this being my daily driver, and I'm sure the engine will get pulled at least 20 more times before I'm happy with it, so I decided to go with a Gator Guard II coat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8 Member

looks good to me. What are you using to weld the frame?
  7. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

The engine out of the 86 had bad crank bearings and want worth the rebuild. I got an 89 TBI 350 from a friend of mine for $300. Came with computer, harness, all accessories, fuel tank, and fuel pump. He's a good friend.
    [​IMG]

I got the swap done in about 4 hours. That's old engine out, disconnect the tranny, attaching tranny to new engine, and back in the truck. I was pretty happy with that time considering I still don't really know what I'm doing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The gas tank I got was way too big, so I had to chop it up a little. Thanks to the H.A.M.B. I was able to get some advice on how to take care of that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes I know my welding sucks. They may not be pretty, but they'll hold. I'm working on making it pretty now.
  8. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Thanks! I'm using a Lincoln Electric 175 HD 240V Mig. I was told when I bought the truck that the one tool I could not cheap out on was a welder.
  9. OneFineComet

OneFineComet Member

So far so good! doing something like this is how you build up your experience and it makes it that much more fun.
  10. lucky ink

lucky ink Member

looks great ..you gonna leave the patina ??
  11. shadams

shadams Member

Did I ever tell you how much I hate you? Ok, not really, dont even know you, but that is a serious score for $500. I got butt raped on my Chevy when I bought it!! Anyway, looking good already, how is the rust situation? Doesnt look like there is anything serious from the pics of the truck with the nose off. Nice how those Sierra wheels fit the original bolt pattern, at first I was thinking, uhh, that isnt an s-10 frame dude.

Cant think of anything off the top of my head, I am building mine this moment as well so will be watching.
  12. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Thanks man, and you said it! I knew next to nothing about the mechanical side of automotive when I bought the truck 3 years go; I've only been doing electronics. Experience as been a brutal but effective teacher.
  13. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Thanks! I love the way the truck looks right now and I don't plan to change it any time soon. I do plan to paint it eventually, but I have a few other things to worry about first, like... actually having it running.
  14. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Haha, I was pretty happy with my 500 bones find too. The rust was actually a lot worse than it looked at first glance. That's why I had to replace the whole floor pan, it was worthless. Even some of the body mounts were shot. The original front and rear suspension were boned too, that's why I decided to go with the s10 frame (and it was cheap).

I liked the way the Sierra wheels looked at first until I realized the truck couldn't roll with them on... They were rubbing against the steering on the original frame. So I sold them off and got s10 wheels for the "new" frame.

How much did you pay for your truck? (if you don't mind me asking) I'll have to take a look at your build here in a bit.
  15. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Ok, here I ran into a problem with the new engine. The position on the power steering pump majorly interfered with the lines coming from the steering box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again to the H.A.M.B. some friends that work at O'Reilly's, and a lot of research, I found a smaller pulley that worked perfect. If anyone else needs to know, it's for a 91 Grand Prix 3.1 engine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all I have for right now. I may not get to work on the truck again for a few weeks, but I'll post pictures when I get more done. Fuel tank mounts are almost done and I just finished running fuel lines last week. Hoping to fire up that engine soon!

I have a few videos I'd like to post too, they're on youtube- Can I link them here?
  16. Big Nick

Big Nick Member

Im diggin it
  17. cederholm

cederholm Member

I like it! Keep us posted as you procede.
  18. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

19. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Just a quick walk around.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vPs__u95Cxw?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>
  20. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

I would highly recommend muting this video. It's me playing the guitar because YouTube wanted to advertise on my video because I used their music. Anyway, this is something I put together a while back, it's pretty much what I've already posted on this thread, just a few more pictures and a little more video.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hmNlg-8wMgg?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>
  21. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Ok, here's the latest problem, and I could use some help.

The exhaust manifold that came on the new engine is directly in the way of my steering shaft (that I have yet to make). The old exhaust manifold was a good fit and wasn't in the way. So now to my question, are my 350 blocks/heads pretty much the same? The old one is an 86 and the new one is a 90. The old manifold seems to bolt up to the heads just fine, but should I expect leaks or am I just lucking out?

The manifolds (old on top, new on bottom):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the old block/head:
    [​IMG]

And the new one:
    [​IMG]

And now the new block, with old manifold:
    [​IMG]

Does anyone see a problem with me doing this?
  22. hotdamn

hotdamn Member

I cant see anything wrong with it, I say run the hell out of it!!!

oh and if you find another one of those for 5 beans give ya boy a holla:D

keep it up!!!
  23. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

That's sort of what I'm thinking. I'd eventually like to make my own headers for it, well, at least try anyway. I think this should work for now though. I figure worst case scenario is an exhaust leak.
  24. LabRat

LabRat Member

Great progress ! From what I can see you have welded the body to the frame , I would have spent the time to mount it on rubber disc's ....
    Keep at it ...
  25. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Thanks! My body mounts are actually another subject I need to take up. I did weld the body directly to the frame, no rubber mounts in between. How bad is this? Is that sort of like directly welding an exhaust system and expecting to see cracking? Or is it more for the comfort of the ride?

If I keep asking questions like this, everyone will soon realize that I really and truly have no idea what I'm doing.
  26. kkustomz

kkustomz Member

All sbc exhaust manifolds will enterchange
  27. LabRat

LabRat Member

Nothing wrong with asking questions and having a go !
    With the wealth of info here you would be silly not to ...
    And yes such a large body welded directly to the frame is eventually produce cracks squeaks and rattles that will drive you nuts .
  28. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Cool man, I'll keep that in mind. Once I get the rest of the flooring back in, I'll probably go through and rebuild all of the body mounts. Hell, right now the front is just being held with angle iron- that I've been planning to refinish since I did it. Everything was just too rusted out at the time.
  29. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk Member

Fuel tank is sealed and in place. I'm going in town in a little while to get some straps for it. Fuel lines are almost run all the way, just a little more to go.
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking about doing a flush fuel door here, but I'm not sure if I need a flat door or a curved door. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now to show off even more of my ignorance:
    My fill hose for the fuel tank is not long enough, is there a specific hose for fuel I need? Or can I just use a radiator hose?

If you guys see problems, please let me know! All I ask is that you not treat me like a complete moron, I already know I am, no need to rub it in.
  30. Keep

Keep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THey make a special hose for fuel filler necks. Most part stores will carry it, be prepared for a little sticker shock.