Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Fiat Topolino is a Flip Top now

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiat gasser, Nov 26, 2009.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It means anywhere in the fuel system from tank to carb(s).
    I've got the cheap Summit $25 10 micron filter and it's been leak free for over 4 yrs. now.

2. captmullette

captmullette

1. I thought so ...
    2. me too....no problems

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Mine started leaking while the car was in the garage about 20' away from the natural gas fired water heater in the garage. I woke up in the morning went into the garage, smelled gasoline, and very, very quickly shut of the gas to the water heater. I just don't want any other person to have a similar experience! For those that have them, I'd suggest to keep an eye on them just in case.

4. captmullette

captmullette

whoa !!! scary.......

5. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Just got off the phone with Russell Products and they said that the fuel line and fittings that I am using are NHRA legal. I do need to shield the line were the flex-plate is but other than that it should be o.k. Now I have address the fuel filter and make sure the one I bought is going to be safe.
    Thanks everybody for your input, it's always good to look at things from other points of view.

6. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG]
    I worked on the radiator this week. installed the electric fans and shroud that came with the fans. Unfortunately the fans are narrower than the radiator. So what I did was make a shroud out of .040 aluminum that steps out away from the radiator but also gives me a place to mount the electric fans and plastic shroud to.

7. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG]
    Here is another view of the shroud and fans. It is hard to see the aluminum work because I painted it black and it blends in with the rest of the radiator parts.

8. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG]
    Picked up a air scoop from a fellow HAMBER for a real fair price. spent a little time today and cut the hole in the hood for it.

9. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

10. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG]
    should work good. Not to high so it shouldn't obstruct vision. But still give it the look I'm looking for.

11. I like it!!!

12. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Thanks TFoch, It's just one more piece of the puzzle.:D:)

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great scoop choice! Did you notice the front metal having any more flex after cutting the hole? When I cut the hole in my Austin's hood for the Hilborn scoop it really flexed a lot more. Had to add more support to stop the flexing.

14. captmullette

captmullette

damn good lookin scoop.......sticks out just right....

15. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Yes, the hood is a little more flexible on the top on each side of the opening. My plans next are to use an English wheel to take the flat areas an slightly round the top where the metal sucked in when I welded it. Next I am going to add louvers up each side of the opening. One row or two if there is room. After that I will bead roll the edges to make the whole top more rigged. If it need to be stronger after all that then I will add bracing on the inside, but I don't think it will need much if I do.

16. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Thanks Capt. I don't think I could have made out better. The scoop changes the whole look of the car.

17. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The scoop looks good, it sticks out just about perfect.

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I had a friend at who owns a sheet metal shop make me a piece of 20 ga. edging for my opening. It gave the hood opening a raised lip, plus it strengthened the hood once I had it welded in place. I added some lightweight box tubing to the inside also to strengthen it further.
    [​IMG]

19. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

The raised lip looks really good. I may consider trying that. Have to see how things go as I get into it more.
    Thanks for the input.
    Bob

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's a 70 degree return that's about 1/4". After I finished the welding, and hit it with a roloc disc, I finished it off with a small amount of Duraglass and it came out nice. Still working on my finish body work all over on the car though.

21. captmullette

captmullette

that raised lip looks real good......great idea

22. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG]
    Had the Fiat outside today to enjoy some long awaited spring sunshine.:)

23. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

24. Bob. Got love a hilborn scoop, ,,,looks real mean from the rear,,,wheelie bars help out too,,,,attitude!!

25. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Thanks Mark. I do love the view from the rear also and I couldn't be happier with the scoop. Well maybe a little happier if the scoop was sitting on top of a 6-71 blower with fuel injection.:eek: I think I'll try and stay focused on getting it running first.:D

26. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Sorry for the lack of updates on the Fiat recently but, work has been real busy since the snow left and the nice weather arrived. Hope to be back at it soon once the shop settles down a little.:)

27. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

photofiat.jpg
    Here are a coupleshots of the Fiat most recently. Found a little time to mess around with it. ATTACH=full]2639791[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  28. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

29. WOW!! I love this machine! Looks bad ass!!!!

30. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Thanks Mikey. The Fiat gets a lot of attention and I still have a lot to do before it is finished. Glad you like it.