Register now to get rid of these ads!

My fiancés new 1936 Buick 3 window coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LiveActionMotorsports, May 1, 2016.

1. So my fiancé has been really itching to have a car of her own and being the buick lover I am and she has become I was able to trade an old 65 c10
    [​IMG]
    I had for this awesome 36.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's all original were the 3rd owners runs like a top! It's nice to take a little break from my 52 ( http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1952-buick-pearl-a-factory-custom-my-first-chop.967980/ ) and have a cruiser again!

I went and traded it and surprised her at work with it she had no clue and she was stoked! I don't have an complete game plan as of yet but I plan to go through it a little bit and make sure everything is ready to rock, the motor was supposed to only have 2k on a rebuild and there is an old tag on the side of the block but the starter is in the way of it.[​IMG]

The paint is peeling on the back as u can see so I'm not sure how I will try to preserve that. The only Rot on the whole car is in the bottom of both doors where the wood has gave way, besides that it's a solid old girl. [​IMG] were thinkin of a mild chop, skirts, and hubcaps. Everything period correct and I plan to build some speed parts for the straight 8. 2x2 intake and a split header. The only thing that doesn't currently work is the horn. And the heat control valve and chock aren't working properly. It's been sitting a little while and just started weekly so it's time for a few seals and love. Let the fun begin. Here's a photoshop for shits and giggles.[​IMG]

reagen, OzMerc39, hfh and 20 others like this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The chop with full dress hubcaps and rear spats make the car

3. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Thats a cool truck!

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like an 8 window to me...just counting. Great start!

5. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

I second that

6. moefuzz

moefuzz

I can dig it!

?
    Is the grille cast on the 36 or pressed/bars???

7. Imo, you got the better deal, but maybe not all will agree.
    The Photoshop version is awesome.

8. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

You done good!3W's are so cool,imo,Taildragers are the way to go,good luck!

9. prpmmp

prpmmp

What a Beauty!! Cars nice too:)!! Pete

10. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

That is so cool....what an epic surprise to your fiance at work!....the car is excellent!:)

11. FortMoe

FortMoe

Love them Buicks! As far as seals on them old Buicks go..... "They are always leaking. If they're not its because they're out of oil."

12. Awww man, thats a sweet buick. I think you got the better deal:)

13. shadams

shadams

Oh yea, I mean 65's and trucks in general are a dime a dozen. Not many of those left and that chop is the shit. Good trade if you ask me....

14. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

So, was it a straight across trade? That's an amazing looking car. Good luck with the "resto" of the parts that are rusty. I'd probably peel back the paint until you hit fresh metal and spray with a clear coat to keep it from rusting and keep it "vintage looking". Fix the rust and you're good to go. I bet she was ecstatic!

15. Tho straight across trade! Haven't had much time to tinker on her, but can't wait!

graveyardsledder likes this.
  16. Love the car, great score, good luck on your project, sure you'll do fine!

17. Squablow

Squablow

I love the car, and I think you made a fantastic trade. It's really great to be with a girl who likes this stuff.

As for your plans, I love the skirts and the wheelcovers and the speed parts for the engine. As for the chop, the car seems to have a really nice overall roof and windshield height, but the side windows seem to dip down into the doors awfully far and don't line up with the top of the cowl or trunk.

I did a quick Photoshop to show what it would look like if all you did was make a cut across the door just below the window and raised that area up a few inches to match the trunk and cowl lines. No cutting of the roof necessary and I think it gives the look of a great chop without all the work. A guy of your talents could knock that out in an afternoon.

This is the before picture, just to compare, I cropped it down some.

36buickchopbefore.jpg
    And here's the "chopped" version, which has no cuts on the roof at all, just raised the bottom of the window opening.

36buickchop.jpg
    I think it's something worth considering. It could even be raised a bit more, for more effect. Either way, be sure to post updates!

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  18. Squablow

Squablow

Here's a crudely lowered version just for a perspective.

36buickchoplow.jpg

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great trade and you guys are lucky to have each other. Congrats!

I'd add to the photoshop with a 39 Lasalle grille, smooth hood sides, louvered hood top, 37 Desoto bumpers, lowered headlights to complete the taildragger look.
    Maybe someone can photoshop those components in for a look-see.

20. Squablow

Squablow

Here it is raised up even more, I think I like this one best. It would even save most of your paint, just have to blend in one strip on top of the doors.

36buickmorechoplow.jpg

21. belair

belair

I would do that trade all day long. Great car. Keep the girl. Tail-dragger with skirts will kill. I wouldn't chop it, but its not my car. You win either way.

22. Squablow,
    I really like your idea.....That is thinking out of the box and makes it look chopped plus give the roof line a great look.

23. Wow man what a great idea!! You've got the vision that's for sure!! I love this idea! I really dig the renderings u did. The only problem I would see is it might make it weird for stickin your arm out of the window of the window is real high. I will have to find an even medium

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Anybody have a good idea on how to blend the paint to keep it looking original and old? I would love to keep it looking old and original ..

25. Nice trade, I always liked those GM 3W style coupes. Your chop and the Squablow suggestions both help the looks a lot. The rear of the roof seems too square, reduce the crown and having that slope more and down into the tail would improve a lot.

26. 'Mo

'Mo

There is a small section on hopping the Buick 8 in California Bill's Speed Manual (c.1954), widely available in reprint.
    (If you decide on a reground cam, I would check with Delta Cams. I know they use some of Howard's old grinds among their Chevy six cams.)

[​IMG]

Also, here's a short online article on hopping the Buick straight 8.
    http://www.buicks.net/racing/l8_performance.html

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Cool article I haven't read that before! I own bills book I bought it when I just recently rebuilt the motor for my 52 Buick. Nothing quite like the old straight 8!

28. Thinking about running these plates I got a matching set [​IMG]

reagen, OzMerc39, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  29. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

do it man..please do. looks bitching!
    A LaSalle grilll being more narrow would look interesting. How bout white running boards?? Keeping her 6v?

30. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Want a lil HP? Dual exhaust, port and polish exhaust. Cut down sbc valves, they are bigger but not enormous..improved air flow. Those intake ports kill it. ROSS pistons can make a set for optimal high compression. Ive been meaning to experiment with the 30's roller lifters and have a cam made for it.
    They're roller rockers for these beautiful mills being made but they run a penny. A DuCoil will also make a difference. The odds of finding a Mallory dual point for them is pretty slim..not many made since it was considered a boat anchor. Here's my way of dealing with the lack of super ignitions.
    An early Pontiac v8 dizzy of your choice is the way to go. Be it a DuCoil,Mallory Magspark, Spalding.
    You have to options in converting them. The easiest being to reduce the wide base on the unit down to 1/8. use 1/4 steel to make the base and leave a gap so when you install it,it can be clamp around the base with a screw and nut of proper diameter. You'll have to weld something near the end so the screw can slide thru and the nut installed on the opposite end. I have a NOS Mallory Magspark in box I can snap shots and see what im talking bout. There's is an easy bracket with the tabs being folded in a circle for screw to slide in. The only problem with the poncho dizzy that it's longer so the 1/4" base compensates for that.
    The other method is to machine the base down to proper length and weld some ears as the original. The wide base won't need any machining, it's perfect.