Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. I'll second EMS, and agree with what Antti said about everything will need some modification no matter where you get it from. Bradley floorpans are supposed to be good too (no experience with them, just what I've read), but floors aren't too hard to make from scratch.

Here's a couple hundred shoebox build threads and lots of info for you to wade through, StatikPulse...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/post-shoebox-build-threads-here.908390/

2. Thanks man. Been following your thread too for a long time. Thanks for the link, but it's not working for me. Says I don't have permissions.

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That link is in the shoebox social forum.You have to join in that forum and you are able to see the threads.Its a quieter forum than the main forums on hamb,but there is a lot of good info in there.

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Okey,the frame is rolling again:

[​IMG]

As you can see,it rolls with the old crappy axles.I have set of powdercoated A-arms with a drop uprights,new shocks,the Maverick rear axle etc.I guess its not the easiest way to build a car.Its more like climbing to tree backwards,i have to replace all the suspension stuff again.It could be cool to bolt on all the new stuff with a freshly rebuilt motor and tranny,but i dont have a space for storing the body for a winter.
    So i have to drop the body back on the frame asap.
    Just for a shit&giggles,i bolted the old A-arms back with the Aerostar coils.
    I think the front height(without the motor) will be same.The lower A-arms are lowered with a square tubes,i think the height will be same with the non modified A-arms and the drop uprights.
    I managed to broke one upper rear shock mounting stud,if someone has non fubar stud for sale,hit me with a PM.

farmer12 and Eric H like this.
  5. 4rod

4rod

Hey Finn
    So did you lower the rear with blocks? Or does the Mavericks setup lower it. Also do you know when using lowering blocks can u run stock shocks or do u need shorties? I have 3 inch blocks in mine with a few leafs taken out, also instead of Aerostar springs I cut an 1 3/4 inch out of the stock ones. I'm wondering if it will ride lower and better if I use shortie gas shocks.
    -D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,there was a 4" lowering blocks under the rear axle when i bought the car.I think 4" blocks are just too high,the rear shocks were in weird angle because of them.I dont think that the Maverick rear will lower the car,its just a basic Ford 8" rear axle.
    I bought a pair of 4" drop leafsprings from St.Louis spring company.They asked only 220 bucks a pair,i think its pretty cheap price for US made leafs.If the stance looks like awful when everything is on the frame again,i guess i have to get a 2" blocks.
    I havent figured it out yet what to use as rear shocks,i have to buy a new ones because the another one i have is shot.
    I bought a Monroe 5821 shocks to front,those are used with the Aerostar coils.
    I think your ride could be smoother with the Aerostar coils,but thats just my opinion..

7. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

4rod
    It will ride better if you use the Aerostar springs. In mine it came with old cut springs and a set of Jamco in the trunk. I swapped to the Jamco but it rubbed too much so I swapped in the Aerostar springs after a few years. 1/2" difference but tire wouldn't rub the lip except at full turn and it's not as bad. Plus now Jamco just remarkets the Aerostar spring and they are cheaper back in the day they wanted $300. And well you won't have to deal with shitty service from Jamco if you go the Aerostar route.

daddio211 likes this.
  8. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

It was nice to see frame on the wheels

it's a good progress

/Stefan

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Stefan!
    At today my bro came to help me and we lifted the body back on the frame.But i dont have much pics of that yet,maybe tomorrow then..

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just got caught up . . . good show! Love your do-it-yourself attitude; your skills and imagination are fun to watch, but your dogged determination to finish this project is an inspiration to us all. Keep it up, brother.

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man,i appreciate your words!
    Well,i try to do much as possible.I cant paint or sew a shit,so at some point i have to hire a painter and an upholstery guy/gal.

Here is a somekind of update:

Friend of mine borrowed a 2 engine hoists at friday.My plan was to use 3 engine hoists with the body lifting operation.My bro came to help me with this job at yesterday and he noticed an old chain hoist.It was slightly jammed,but after a little WD40 spraying it was good enought for this project.
    I didnt shoot much pics of this job,but something anyway.I stashed the body at the attic of an old cowhouse.Its a filthy and dark place to work,but its a lot better choice than working in the middle of the white shit that came on the ground at friday night.
    Here is the body going back where it belongs:

[​IMG]

And done...

[​IMG]

Well,almost done.I have to mess with a few body pads and probably have to add shim plates here and there.But i'll see the need for shims when putting the doors back.
    The Aerostar coils dropped the front end nicely,just cant to wait how it looks like with the drop uprights and the another A-arms.

farmer12 and koolkemp like this.
  12. Way to go Antti . You have turned a corner on your build . Is the body on for the last time ?

13. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Andy!
    Yeah,i guess its a kind of milestone on this build.Never say never,but the plan is not to lift the body off the frame again.I think thats it with the body lifting/lowering job on this build.I just have to figure out what next,i think i'll start working with the rear axle and suspension stuff next..

14. Eric H

Eric H

Great to see it as a roller again.

15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yes it is.I pulled it out from the attic and pushed it back to the garage.
    We dont have much daylight at this time of year and i wanted to see how it looks like in the daylight.Its dark in here like in polarbears rectum when i get out from the work.
    So i decided to do this pulling/pushing job during this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its lower with the Aerostarcoils,but i guess it will be a bit lower when everything is bolted back.So the final stance will be a mystery at this point.

16. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Nice to see the body on frame on your shoebox
    now is only the rest left

17. Looking good man!

18. junk

junk

Looks great.

19. EBW

EBW

Looks really nice !! Great progress.

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks fellas!
    And merry christmas to you all!

21. lgh1157

lgh1157

Wow, just went through all these pages, so killer man, love your work !

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

23. 4rod

4rod

Really nice work. Great body lines after the chop. You are right ours are bout the same

24. lower99

lower99

Seriously, its awesome how much time and work you spend for all the details and stuff.
    Man i like it!
    merry Christmas from germany!
    Peace

25. Walrus ,checking in on your progress, The floors look sharp now, I have to do the same on my 50 box , floors a little rough. You have inspired me to get after it, My 50 uses a 302 with a c4 trans, Granada rear, power brakes, air condition, with a tilt steering column. Looks great going down the road, but I know it needs some floor work and so I am not satisfied. keep up your good work.

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    Yeah,they look like same.Really heavy chops doesnt usually look nice.Good metal shaping skills doesnt always mean that the chop looks perfect,there must be some artistic point of view too.

Thanks dude and merry Christmas to you too!

Thanks!
    Good to hear that this thread has inspired you.When messing with the floors,check the floor braces too.I had to replace 3 of them and the only "good" one needed some patching job too.
    What i've seen in pics,the '49 and '50's floors looks like a bit simplier than '51's.So they should be easy to fab by yourself.Good luck with the project!

27. I have no personal experience, so I can only imagine that it must be mighty dark in a polar bear's rectum! Thanks for the laugh.

Happy New Year Antti. Time for both of us to get back to work, it would be nice to see both cars on the road this summer. Possible?

28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Happy New Year,Andrew!
    I dont have any experience from the polar bears rectums either,thats just what i heard from the big boys:D
    Well,i am not sure about is this project on the road at next summer.I smashed my piggy bank and bought the truck,so there went most of my shoebox build funds.I guess that will make the process a bit slower,but that doesnt mean it will froze completely this build.

29. frosty-49

frosty-49

love your build, keep it up