Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Eric H

Eric H

Looks really nice!

2. Hey Antti, there's some nice progress coming along, congrats!! You did some hard work last time!
    Carsten

3. Looking great!

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!
    I guess the worst part is over with this project,after i got the frame done it will be mostly a "fine tuning".
    And its been cheap too from begin to this point.I havent spend much money for this project so far.
    Earlier at this summer i bought an off-topic truck from California as a new dailydriver,so the plan is finish the frame before the truck is in here.I am pretty sure that truck will take most of my quality time for a while.I have to do few stupid modifications for it to get it registered in here.

5. Eric H

Eric H

Hopefully not for too long. The fun stuff is getting close.

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nope,it should not take long.I have to add sidemarkers,rear foglight etc.
    Like i said:stupid mods!

7. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Looking good man,tons of work but well worth it.

8. Great work Antti . It's been a while since I checked out your thread ! I know what you mean about the heat , it's been hot over here as well . Seems the summers are getting hotter . I like the few pictures of your rotisserie that gives me more of an idea when it comes time for me to build mine . Later, Andy..

9. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Looks awesome!!

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

Thanks Andy!
    The rotisserie really makes bodywork easier.I guess only thing i would change is putting the hydraulic jacks from inside of the rotisserie.I think they would work better on the other side.Otherwise its good enought.

Thanks man!
    Btw,i still owe you some money.So come to get it!

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Same day that the body was sandblasted,i got same parts sandblasted too.I took them for powdercoating and picked them up at today.I tried to choose parts that doesnt need any modification,but i guess i missed some them.I think i have make few trips more for the powdercoater.
    Well,this is the first set of powdercoated parts:

[​IMG]

I took the batterybox for powdercoating too:

[​IMG]

12. Damn dude, that car is going to be sweet! Shit, I rattle canned all that stuff on my car :D

Eric H likes this.
  13. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Andrew!
    The powdercoating is cheap,if i take pre-blasted stuff for powdercoater.I guess it could be more expensive,if they have to do the sandblasting for my parts too...
    That pile above cost me 70 euros,i think i could not buy a good quality paints in here with that money.
    I stashed the body and started to work with the frame.Its mostly a boring stuff,like fixing shitty threads on the frame etc.I guess there are not much worth to post at the moment..

14. PistonHead88

PistonHead88

15. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Looks nice
    I like the lowers on the batteri box

16. A.Rykowski

A.Rykowski

Wow these pics are great! Nice job

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

18. Brentphx

Brentphx

I have to say... this thread sealed the deal for me on my 50. I knew that no matter what I needed to patch or cut out, THIS thread had it documented with pictures of the before/during/after. Print this out and you have a manual on how to do damn near every panel on the car! Fantastic work... great thread! Just need to convince the wife that i need a bead roller and maybe an english wheel now.

19. I agree with you Brent, this thread has been an inspiration to a lot of us. Antti's shoebox is going to be a sweet (and solid) custom when he's done with it, and most of it is done with just basic tools, patience and confidence. Just gotta get in there and do it.

Eric H likes this.
  20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks your words guys!
    I am not sure is this thread really a worth of printing how to build your shoebox guide.There are few things that i would do differently,but no way i am going to change anything at this point.
    One mistake was that i tried to save so much POS floor pans that was possible,that caused some problems later.If your floorpans are crap,they are crap.No mercy for crispy panels,cut all of them all off and fab completely new floorpans.
    Anyway,this build has been fun and pretty cheap too so far.But when the body is back on the frame,the financial downhill starts from there.:D

Eric H likes this.
  21. Yep, me too, should have just cut the whole damn floor out. Same with the wheel wells, you replaced yours, I worked around my crusty ones and now I wish I hadn't. There's a lot of stuff I would like to do better, but I'll save that for the next build.

22. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I think we all have things we would do different on our rides. I agree with the I'll do it on the next ride thing!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Eric H likes this.
  23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The shoebox is looking great !

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    I guess its time to update this thread.I change some of my plans(again),i gave up of the idea of using the 265 in this build.I thought that my life could be bit easier if i use some newer block in this build,but i dont want to take this build for too modern level.
    So,lets see....Few yrs back i bought a pile of 283,lot of good parts,some of them were new in the boxes.Only bad side of that deal was the block,its worn out and bored so many times that boring it again is out of question.
    Well,i know where to find a project 283 with a better block,so its not a problem.
    Using the project motor and the 283 pile i have,that should be a budget motor.
    I bought a SBC motormount kit from Shoebox-central and they delivered it really fast.
    Thats the way all the companies should do their business.
    Well,i did some mock up with the crappy 283 i have,i also mounted the 4" lowering leafsprings on the frame too:

[​IMG]

Nova oil pan?
    We dont need no stinkin' nova pans,the OEM 283 pan fits fine in there:

[​IMG]

Well,it worked fine with the OEM centerlink,but not so good with the chrome-moly center link kit i bought for this build.I had to do a slight notch for the rear corner of the oil pan.I think it doesnt effect much for the pans oil capacity.

[​IMG]

My score from Germany's ebay,the NOS Volvo steering box fits fine in there too:

[​IMG]

daddio211 likes this.
  25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

An another small update:
    I made these simply sleeves with a lathe.

[​IMG]

The outer hole is smaller than the shock side hole,just to get the stud nuts seat better.
    After some tig welding i got the rear shocks mounted with the OEM shock studs:

[​IMG]

And i also notched the crossmember too:

[​IMG]

I guess its time to start disassembling the frame for the sandblaster,before the weather gets colder in here..

farmer12 and Eric H like this.
  26. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

nice work

good progress

27. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Looks good thanks posting love it Rog MN

28. ausbuick

ausbuick

Nice

Check out my 49 Buick sedanette build

29. good progress, Antti, and btw. i like your "garden", exactly my style :)

Cheers, Carsten

30. Eric H

Eric H

Man! That NOS Volvo box is an amazing score.