Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Nice work again!

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!
    Last weekend was supposed to be a D-day for sandblasting and painting operation.
    I even bought primer and heavy duty stuff that is usually used on trucks and trailers.But then i noticed a pinhole on the drivers side lower quarter.After sanding it and poking that area with screwdriver,this was the result:

[​IMG]

Hidden cancer,i really hate when this happens.
    That was the only quarter piece i havent touch so far and i was sure that the rust issues are over,right...
    And it rained on that weekend,so that wasnt a real success.Well,i guess its good to notice stuff like that before the primer spraying.Now i have to wait for the replacement piece.

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Here is a little update:

I cut the rocker so low that was necessary,i didnt want to mess the quarter panel at this point.The inner rocker was pitted,so i fabricated new one:

[​IMG]

I had to replace lower piece of the inner fender too.My beadroller's tipping dies really suck,so i had to make it from 2 pieces.Those damn tipping dies made me really pissed off and right after i got it done i bought better ones from ebay.Thats the way i gather my tools,get pissed off and then some quality time on ebay...

[​IMG]

I fitted the replacement with clamps and clecos.I used the clecos in the batterybox project too.What a brilliant invention,works like a wiener in wc:D

[​IMG]

And its done.I really i hope this was the last rust issue on the body.
    Well,there is some door corner rounding and rocker seam smoothing project in the future,but i'll mess with them when the body is back on the frame.

farmer12, Kopperhead and daddio211 like this.
  4. Nice job Antti, that looks sweet.

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,i guess i cant say this is an update,but something anyway.I pulled the body out of the garage at today to get access to the garage lights,i had to replace few tube lights.
    It was good to see the body in the daylight,with the new quarter braces.Its just hard to see how everything looks like in the small and crowded garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think its ok for the sandblasting operation,i just had to make few drainholes on the quarters and rockers.Almost forget them..
    Well,i have to set new D-day for sandblasting,hopefully that will be really soon.

daddio211 likes this.
  7. Eric H

Eric H

You have done an incredible amount of work on this car and it will pay off soon. Keep it up!

8. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Niceeee! Looks darn good...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Looking great Antti.

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!
    I dont count hrs never with my projects,but i guess there are few done..
    And i think there are a lot of easier shoebox projects for sale,those rust issues just takes time.But whatta hell,its been fun so far.
    Well,it looks like that the sandblasting will happen after next week.And my annual 4 week summer vacation starts at then too.Just cant wait:D

11. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Looks good! Could you take some closer pics of how you have the body mounted on the rotisserie? I want to do that but I've heard these bodies are too weak for it. Looks like I heard wrong! How long is the mounted rotisserie? Thanks!

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    I shot pics of the rotisserie mounting,the front mounting:

[​IMG]

And rear:

[​IMG]

Shoebox body is a kind of tricky to mount on rotisserie,the trunk lid area is curvy and the front body mounting legs are on the way.
    So its difficult to bolt it to the rotisserie from firewall or from the trunk lid/tail light area.
    I made that rotisserie completely adjustable.So i can mount bodies from firewall/trunk lid area or from under on rotisserie,by using the same mounting parts i've made.
    That rotisserie is 5 meters(16,4 feet)long when its in the full lengt.The length is adjustable too.
    I mounted it on the rotisserie by using the floor braces at front and from back i mounted it to the trunk floor subframe.
    I guess these bodies are flexy,but welding a bracing inside of the body will help.
    I made an extra bracing for the inner rocker job too,but its cut off on the pics above.
    Well,i hope those pics help you.

13. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

That helps a lot, thanks!

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Its been really hot week in here,something like +30 in celsius(86 in fahrenheits)at every day.
    I talk to the sandblasting guy and he said that its just too hot for sandblasting and i agree.
    Well,maybe at next week then.
    One thing i had to do before that,was cleaning the roof skin from inside.There was surface rust on the skin and no way i am not going to stretch it by sandblasting it.The worst spot on the skin was middle of it.I guess there must been somekind of sound proof crap from the factory on that spot.
    After few hrs work and few worn out stripping discs the skin looked like this:

[​IMG]

The respirator came handy in this phase.My eyeballs were only white thing on my face after i got it stripped.
    Then i wiped the dust off the skin and primered it:

[​IMG]

farmer12 and daddio211 like this.
  16. Eric H

Eric H

That's a nasty job! Looks good though.

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Eric!
    Yeah,it was a dirty job.But the rotisserie made it easier.I just went inside from the door opening and flip the body sideways.There wasnt much room to work because of the bracing,but atleast my neck doesnt hurt because of bad working postion.

18. Eric H

Eric H

Ahh, that would make it easier.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Great work as always Antti!

20. wwauto1

wwauto1

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Eric!

Thanks!

22. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Looks good
    we have dam hot here too
    i have worked with mine shoebox indoor with air condision on and it help good

/Stefan

23. I scraped and painted my roof before I put my car on the rotisserie. I think you are the smarter man, I ate a lot of black crap that day.

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!
    Well,i didnt plan that roof cleaning with rotisserie.Sometimes good ideas needs only a good timing.
    Here is a little update:

Its been really hot in this week too,but we started the sandblasting operation anyway.
    The brothers i've known since they were kids,came to help me with their late dads portable compressor and sandblasting gear.Work in progress:

[​IMG]

The rotisserie was a great help in this job:

[​IMG]

Almost there:

[​IMG]

It was a really close call.We were almost done,when we hear thunder and it started to rain.We pushed the rotisserie back to garage asap when first raindrops hitted on the ground.
    The body got few drops too,but luckily it was really hot day and the drops dried immediately from hot steel.Looks like there is no harm done with the rain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the blasting revealed few spots that needs fixing and i need to buy more primer.But the plan is to get the body primered asap.

farmer12, daddio211 and Eric H like this.
  25. Eric H

Eric H

That looks great! Nice to see all that clean metal.

26. EBW

EBW

The blasting shows the few areas you need, but that is a good thing. Otherwise you may have overlooked those areas. You are doing great !! Keep at it !

27. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Good for you it's done
    It looks great that dirty work is done

28. PistonHead88

PistonHead88

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!
    I have to say this that i am not much of a painter,but i think you dont have to be a Watson or other Rembrandt of car painting when spraying some primer.
    Its been really long time when was the last time when i did some bigger paint job.
    Here is what i got done:
    First some primer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the heavyduty trailer/truck stuff:

[​IMG]

There are a couple of f*ck ups on the last layer,but i noticed that they will be hidden by the frame and no one will never know about them...Oops just told everyone:D

[​IMG]

The firewall needs some finishing touch,so i thought its good to leave it on primer for a while.I guess next step will be stashing the body and start working with the frame...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    farmer12, daddio211 and studeboy like this.
  30. PistonHead88

PistonHead88

Primer and truck paint stuff look nice and even, nice work:)