Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 47 Plymouth Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CM3112, May 11, 2015.

1. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

Well, after about a year of waiting for a Houston area shop to do some work on my 47 Plymouth, I finally got the car back (no work completed and still fighting to get my money back). Since I was extremely frustrated, I decided to tear into this myself and thought I might just learn some things as I stumbled through the tear down and rebuild process.

This is what I started with:

2. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Hit the button too soon

47 Club Coupe with a strong 218 flat 6. Runs well but I have some plans to change a few things. I am planning a traditional custom build with dearched rear springs, re-work the front suspension (new sway bar, front springs and re-located front shocks), some Goodyear Super Cushions with some 57 Lincoln Premier caps.

I plan to keep/install the bright work on the side but will shave the deck lid and peak the hood. I also have a 1950 Plymouth front grill that will make its way onto the front. I would like to have the top chopped a bit with a split rear window as well (in the works for late June).

The stock motor will go back in place, however I have a dual carb intake and some headers that will make their way onto the block.

Not sure on color yet but I would like a white roll and pleat interior.

Should be fun, I have already removed the body and I am working on the frame and suspension.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

Started to pull the front sheet metal in preparation for removing the body

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

Ended the weekend with this:

image.jpg

image.jpg

It really needed a bath...

5. chriseakin

chriseakin

wow, you work fast!

6. Subscribed......looks like you're moving right along. My 48 has been at a shop for almost two months. Not sure if I can wait a full year lol... I cant wait to see how this turns out.

7. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

I pulled an all nighter on Saturday. Not sure if the wife was impressed or annoyed. Probably annoyed but I was working on caffeine and sugar so I was not really listening

8. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

Ratty, my supports were connected to the top of the radiator, so they came off when I pulled it.

I have checked out your build before I started mine, looks good for sure.

ratty_aussie likes this.
  9. Subscribed...looking forward to the progress....although I think it looked bad ass to begin with!

10. 73RR

73RR

Did you rebuild the L6 ? or a gift from the previous owner?
    Either way, nice to have that part done. If you are looking for split manifolds, I think olddaddy
    (www.rustyhope.com) is still doing the mods.

11. brad2v

brad2v

Oh no! I'm reeeeaaaalllyy developing a crush on this era Mopar coupe. Neat car, have to subscribe, even if it's not my best interest :p

12. Cool i'll be watching this one. Rusty hope (mentioned in post #11) also has disc brake conversion kits for these. I have his kit on a OT '52 dodge truck and it fits good and was easy to install. I haven't driven the truck yet so i can't report on the braking improvement.

13. bako48

bako48

good start! looks clean parts for these things are hard to find tho there's a guy named Andy braumban (not sure of the spelling) but hes got a lot of NOS and hard to find parts.

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is shaping up to be a nice car!
    Subscribed.

15. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

I was fortunate that I recieved the car with a well running 6. I did get some new manifolds from Tom Langdon and I am really looking forward to starting the engine work.

16. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

Bako48,

I have already purchased some front suspension components from Andy Bernbaum. They shipped the parts super fast. Seem to be good folks.

By the way, your car is awesome...

17. 'Mo

'Mo

Love the car! Love the six! Love the plan!
    I also love fat-fendered cars with molded rear fenders, and lowered tail lights!. (Maybe '50 Merc ?)

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  18. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

So I have been able to sand and paint most of the chassis and rear end through the past week (I used Eastwood Chassis Black since it won't be seen once I put the body back on). I think it turned out pretty good for a spray can. While I was at it I went ahead and installed the Posies 3" springs along with the 3" blocks that the car had originally. My current thought is that I will have the springs de-arched just a tad and then switch to a 2" lowering block to avoid any scrub line issues.

I went ahead and remounted the rear wheels for now, but with the long weekend ahead, I plan on pulling the motor and will try and finish sanding and painting the frame. I also disassembled the front end and took those pieces to Mo Muscle in Conroe, TX to be blasted. While there they relocated the spring plate from the top of the control arm to the bottom (pics soon).

19. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

20. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

And here are the 57 Premier caps (just because)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431978319.465772.jpg

Frankie47, jakespeed63 and volvobrynk like this.
  21. CM3112

CM3112
    from Spring, TX

22. Very nice, I really like those caps!

Sent from my flip phone.

23. brad2v

brad2v

Love me some Premier covers

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Looking good so far.You know the old saying if you want it done right {and don't want to wait forever} do it your self.Keep us posted.ThanksBruce.

25. RodStRace

RodStRace

Diggin' the start!

26. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

I like it! Keep the posts coming

27. Alright another Plymouth buddy! Subscribed!