Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '39 GMC COE Build On Hold,Got Sold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flowmeister, May 16, 2012.

1. nowhereman

nowhereman
    from illinois

is it time to blow the dust off of this?

2. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

So cool to see fellow Calgarian's in this thread. Amazing work thus far! wow.

3. I agree nowhereman, unfortunately I probably won't get anything more done till I get back from my LSRU holiday.
    Thanks Graham M, Hope to meet you sometime, I am sure you are one of those faces in the crowd I always see at car events here.

4. Nice work. Have an enjoyable holiday.

5. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

Nice work and I love the old coe!

6. Thanks guys!
    I am determined to hit it hard after my holiday
    Check back for updates

7. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

Have a good time! maybe a little reserch into hotels etc for next years epic c.o.e. trip. take care K

8. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

tic tic whats up?

9. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

You must be hitting it hard, or you're still on holiday...
    Everyone needs a break. Looking forward to your progress.

10. b-bop

b-bop

This is why I do not have a build thread, too much pressure....:D

11. Pressure indeed.
    the fact of the matter is due to other things in my life right now,
    the COE is back burnered so bad it isn't even in my garage anymore.

12. nowhereman

nowhereman
    from illinois

damn the bad luck!

13. spankster

spankster

There were two different cab sizes in '37-'49 GMC Medium, & Heavy Duty Trucks. There wasn't much of a difference, but there was a slightly larger windshield opening on the Heavies, & the cab was slightly wider. That's why they had two crank out windshields (on the Heavies), versus one, for the Medium Duty. No such thing, as a 1 ton COE back then. 1 1/2 ton rating was the lightest.

14. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Maybe this will inspire you to get your COE rolling?

[​IMG]

15. Wow Barn Find, that's quite the bus.
    I am hoping to get back on my COE in about a years time.
    I am presently on a mission, but I can't say what that is just yet.
    I'm diggin' your truck story though!

16. Are you in missionary mission?
    Good to hear from you...im having a war withing myself on selling the coe or not!

17. Damn Seth, I haven't been in a missionary mission for a long time!!!

Yours is a lot closer than mine is,
    forge on brother.
    Get yours so you can just drive it a little bit,
    you will never consider selling it after that.

18. pull toy

pull toy

I have a '39 gmc coe just like yours mounted on a 3/4 ton ford frame with chev front clip, 9 foot stock gmc box and a 454 bb mill with 400 trany. truck is 95% complete and will be in body and paint within 2 months. problem is i need the very top grille bar, slick enough to be cromed, along with the drivers door inside window garnish moulding. thought you mite know of source for this pieces. stay hooked up on your project. remember getting there is half the fun. [228]217-6247 if you know a source. thanks

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  19. My 39 COE is a Chevy, not GMC. My grill should be completely different than your GMC. I will have extra Chevy grill bars soon. I have two part grills making one good grill & will have extra bars left over soon. Let me know if I can help...

20. austinhunt

austinhunt

Flow I really like all the pictures of metal work, but your perfect sandblasted surfaces make me jealous. Sounds kinda dirty but I swear that wasn't my intent.

21. Speaking of dirty, sandblasting is a dirty job,
    but the results are well worth it.

22. I agree totaly about the sandblasting, it really make a difference, I am having mine done bit by bit. The front grille was first and then onto the fenders etc.

This is my grille
    [​IMG]

Keep up the build.:)

23. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

I know this is an old threat but do you know who you sold the 1939 Coe to? Wanted to know maybe if hew old like to sell it, thanking you in advance

24. @luckylou The coe went deep South, i'm sure the guy isn't selling it.
    Look for it to be done and shown this coming summer.

I like your avatar truck!

25. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

Hum my luck a day late and a penny shy lol..... Thank you

26. ///Ryan

///Ryan

Wanted to show you that the COE is still being worked on. My dad purchased it and we made that short drive to Calgary to get it. On the way home we found a 39' bare cab in Austin, TX so snagged that too and used it to repair this cab. A few months later we snagged another 39 in the Carolinas that was in decent shape. Still on the same chassis but with Porterbuilt suspension and an LS1 engine crammed under the floor. My dad is on here but I dont think he posts, so I'll show him how to. The billet wheels are temp, I had them laying around my shop. Looking for something with more of an old school flair.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

rp087756 and K13 like this.
  27. Short drive to Calgary, ha ha.
    This is awesome that you posted progress, Thanks.
    Can't wait to see it done! @///Ryan

28. I am so jealous, you found two extra cabs? I can't even find one parts cab.o_O Just fenders & a hood is all it takes to build another truck. I'm glad to hear your still going forward, but, life does get in the way at times. So git um done so you can geter done.
    The Oldschool look sounds like the way to go, it's very cool to see an original looking old truck slammed & built to cruse, yet jump on the hi-way with all the comforts of a new truck. Keep up the good work.
    I am the definition of a slow build, so don't let time get you down...

29. b-bop

b-bop

I was really sad to see it leave Cowtown, but looks like it is in good hands. The Flowmeister cried for a couple weeks until he got busy on his 33 :)

Flowmeister likes this.
  30. Southfork

Southfork

I was watching Flowmeister's 39 GMC COE build thread for a long time to see how he would solve problems that I would face in building my 39 Chevy COE. Well, I never got started on mine because his thread stopped. :( I've got both a '39 and a '40 Chevy COE that need some attention.