Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My '32 at the drags first time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4thhorseman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I ran my '32 coupe at the Hot Rod Rumble 10/18/14 at Albuquerque Dragway this past weekend. DA was 6200' which is actually GOOD for us up here. My car ran 1.42 60', 10.6 @ 125mph on blower and 10.0 @ 135mph on 150 NOS all uncorrected times. Subtract roughly .5 and add 8mph for altitude correction to get ET for a normal altitude track. 9's corrected baby! This was my first time at the drags with this car after some test hits on a lonely desert road by my home. Brand new build. Car was meant to be a street build so converter and rear end gearing are not optimized for low ET's and the 6-71 is way too small for the combo, yet it still runs a decent number.
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  2. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

My son as crew chief.

[​IMG]

tylercrawford likes this.
  3. hotrod36

hotrod36

That's awesome man

4. Awesome, air under the left front.

5. Damn straight.......

6. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Hell yeah!!

Nothing like a big blown motor in a little light hot rod!

How about some more specs on the motor and the rest of your setup?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I bought a glass bodied '32 on a boxed frame with a hollow 9" and front suspension/brakes hung from East Coast Rod Shop in March of 2013. The intent was to build a streetable hot rod that was not truly "traditional" but had a 60's drag strip sort of look to it. Having a lot of success with big block Fords I opted to use one. I decided to try to keep the nostalgic flavor but would certainly use some modern parts even if they were visible in the interest of hauling a$$ and strength/reliability. March 2014 I had it complete enough to start enjoying it and it rolled out of the garage. It has a 460 block stroked to 523ci, Probe pistons, 6.8" h beams, 4.5" stroke crank all forged. Aluminum Super Cobra Jet heads (markings filed off and painted to look stock) and a solid flat tappet Comp Cam. BDS 460 blower intake, a legit GM 6-71 setup for gas at 15% overdriven to produce an honest 7psi stuffing such a big motor underneath. Twin reworked Holley blower HP 950cfm's and two Edelbrock RPM nitrous kits (1 under each carb) jetted 75hp each. Mallory electronic ignition. 2500 stall nitrous converter, manual valve body c6, ford 9" with 3.70's on a spool. 32x12.50 Hoosiers. Inside is a roll bar, a pair of viper style high back leather racing seats, 2 5-point harnesses, a Hurst quarter stick, and a compliment of gauges, tach, and a shift light.

I drive it on the street every weekend to local cruise ins and car shows. *Might* be occasionally involved in some very late night grudge matches that I can neither confirm nor deny. Planning to add more cage to it, have some nice upholstery work done for diamond stitched door inners and headliner, and remove the decals from the car and have hand painted ones applied. Having an absolute blast in this car. I cannot drive it anywhere without people videoing it while I'm rolling and coming up to admire, talk, and take photos.
    [​IMG]

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  8. No doubt about it,,that's one bad arse hot rod! :D HRP

9. racemad55

racemad55

East Coast Rod Shop in New York ? Ron, Chuck,& Chubb great bunch of guys.

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Now That's a Hot Rod brother !
    Well done.

11. Fatcat

Fatcat
    from Brainerd

Outstanding car, to run like that the first time out says a lot, you and your son can be very proud.

12. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Agreed! Saratoga and Schenectady NY are my old stomping grounds. Used to run with the "Saratoga Sleepers" in the '90's and hang out with the Scotia guys till the wee hours out by the GE and at "the Lot" in Albany. Used to run at Lebannon Valley Dragway then. I figured even though I moved out to the desert I'd give the NY guys some business. Ron was a great help.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

NICE! A hotrod behaving like one.

Andamo likes this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

Great numbers from that FORD power.

15. terry48435

terry48435

16. squirrel

squirrel

that's bad ass! What did it end up weighing? just curious...I'm getting similar performance to your non-NOS runs, at similar elevation, in my chevy II. I have way less motor under my blower, but also probably a lot less weight.

17. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Sweet. No need for a small converter, or steep gears, when you have a blown big block in a light car. Torque rules.

18. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

OUTSTANDING!! Hot Rods are made for FUN right! At the drags or the street it's all fun I'm sure!

19. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Squirrel, I'm a big fan of your builds. Love the gasser to death. My older son is stationed at the base in your town. Actually heading out there this weekend to visit him and his wife. Planning to see Bisbee.

I have not weighed this car but I'd guestimate it to come in about 2500lbs. The setup was running pretty fat. I was being overly conservative with the whole tune up and cautious... figured I'd work with it from these numbers. My plugs looked like charcoal. 30 degrees total locked out and pulling 10 on the hose. I swapped out the plugs and leaned up the carbs considerably but I've not yet had it back to the drags. It sounds crisper now and seems to hit harder but you never know until you run it.

20. squirrel

squirrel

give me a call and stop by if you can...

Interesting, mine weighs about 2700 without me in it. I do have it tuned a bit less conservatively.

You still have a bitchin car!

21. afaulk

afaulk

Turn up the volume! Smaller pulley goes ON TOP. At 50% over, and 35 degrees of timing, that Ford will talk to ya! Cheers, Allan

22. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Neat hot rod!! I really like the over all attitude and stance..........................

23. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Very nice my son went with me @ age 7. Often he was the only "crew"...drove the truck down to the big end to pick me up and drove the "digger" back. See pic from 78 world finals (I think)! That's my 8 year old looking out of the 74 Ford F250.

Attached Files: