Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 31 pontiac coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gtowagon, Apr 12, 2011.

1. gtowagon

gtowagon

and some more pics

Attached Files:

• 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      237.4 KB
      Views:
    • 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      236.2 KB
      Views:
    • 025.JPG
      025.JPG
      File size:
      234.4 KB
      Views:
    • 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      235.2 KB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      238.2 KB
      Views:
    • 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      235.9 KB
      Views:
  2. My vote goes for fenders too. It looks like something's missing w/o them.
    Years ago, I knew an old guy who had a 31 Pontiac 2dr sedan. It was all original except for the roof. For some crazy reason, the neighbor's kids attacked the original roof with steak knives.:eek:

3. gtowagon

gtowagon

a couple hours with a file and the intake and exhaust fit real nice all except for the rear most header tube which I guess I will have to cut and modify as it is a bit too close to the rear intake manifold runner.

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      241.1 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      239.4 KB
      Views:
  4. It was 1931 that Pontiac bought Oakland and I think both of them were in production that year at least. One with an eight and one with a six cylinder engine.

The radiator cap is certainly sweet, a cousin of mine in Iowa restored a couple of the Oaklands from that vintage twenty years ago or so and I remember him telling me how the correct radiator cap was the hardest piece to find.

Your car your way, I'd think outwardly original and modern mechanics is worth consideration.

That's a special car, have fun.

5. Great project! Love the drivetrain choice. I'd keep the fenders on the car, or at least in the shed in case you change your mind about them...

6. skoh73

skoh73

Sweet car! One thing's for sure, you probably won't bump into another one at a car show. I'm for the fenders as well, but do what you wanna do it is your ride. If you did decide on giving it a haircut, I wouldn't do much.

7. chopitdano

chopitdano

I love the 30's GM cars myself and you have a very nice example. Personally I agree with keeping the fenders, it makes the front look a mile long without them, a wild chop would make it seem even longer. Keep the fenders and maybe a very suddle chop would be my call but its not my ride so go with what floats your boat and enjoy the build!

8. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

I like it. Fenders for sure.

9. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

Neat car and really cool choice for power! I have a couple OHC 6's and want to use one in a lakester of some kind.

10. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I vote fenders and a nice paint job.

11. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Pontiac never bought Oakland, Oakland was owned by GM and the Pontiac was introduced as a low price companion to the Oakland, but it ended up selling better and they eventually dropped Oakland in favour of the smaller cheaper but more popular Pontiac. (There was also a lot of issues with the Oakland V8)

And the rad cap is the hardest part to find, I drove my 31 for 13 years before I finally got a good cap!

12. gtowagon

gtowagon

I really like it without the fenders and I havent decided on the chop and channel chop might be 2 or 3 inches but I am waiting untill the frame is done before I decide on body mods. I have a lot of head room now and can afford to lose 6 or eight inches before it gets too close.

13. gtowagon

gtowagon

I am looking for a rad cap now as I plan on using the original grill shell

14. That's a great project car. My vote is for fenders and no chop. But its your choice. Keep us posted.

15. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

I agree with Alpo...

Nice car, No Chop, run the fenders on!!!

16. SOLO

SOLO

Ditto!!

17. Pics of mine to show you fenders and no chop. In fact everything about my body is factory correct except horns (32 Pontiac) and tires/ Wheels (Vintiques) Hubcaps are original. My plans are to replace radial tires with bias WW soon.

Radiator caps can be found in various conditions. They are reproduced as well in bronze and stainless. I've seen the stainless repops and they are beautiful!

Attached Files:

18. Rarerodder...that is one beautiful car...I know another guy in DesMoines who also has a black 31 coupe with chrome Wires...has a full Jaguar front and rear suspension with SBC power...it's also a beautiful car...
    I'm building a non fendered 34 ford coupe but if I had a 31-32 Poncho it'd have those long, graceful fenders on it...

19. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Looks to be in pretty darn good shape!

F&J: that Chevy you posted is bitchin'!
    GTOwagon: I would use that Chevy as inspiration. I also agree with a few people on here about keeping the fenders, Pontiac's are classy, and don't look right without them. But its your car, so its your call.

Here is a pic of my fathers '32, a bit OT, but it will be going under the knife soon. He's had it on the road for about 25 years now, only thing that has change is the independent front end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. another poncho saved-way to go. keep the fenders.

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I had a '31 coupe just like yours. I bought it with the intention to rod it out with a Pontiac mill, tri-power, etc.....but it was in too nice condition to cut up. I kept it for about 15 years and eventually sold it to a guy down south for his museum collection. It was a beautiful car....maroon with black fenders, wood spoke wheels. I miss it. Good luck with yours, I'm subscribing here to see how this one progresses and turns out.

22. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

awesome thread... I thought i had one of the only 30's pontiacs around here. Guess not!

23. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Those are 32 caps on your 31, they look great though.

31 has a Navajo blanket kind of design on the center, 32 got the Indian head.

Where can you get the re-pop rad caps?

24. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

Another vote for fenders and no chop. I would undercoat the fenders with Rhino Liner or similar to protect from rock dings.
    Very nice car!

25. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I want to do this to most of my fat fender cars, but I have driven my 31 Pontiac for the last 13 on a lot of gravel roads, and with just a thin skim of undercoat I have had no damage inside the fenders to speak of, they are really thick though.

26. gtowagon

gtowagon

picked up a rad cap last week and finally got some matchine tires on the front so the car isnt leaning to one side they may be a bit short but they were free and fit the artillery wheels that i got with the car. sorry guys but the fenders are never going back on the car besides they would look funny once the car is channeled

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      240.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      235.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      233.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      236.3 KB
      Views:
  27. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

man that think is bad asss

28. Here's pic's of a local guy's 30 Pontiac Coupe, with fenders, and it looks great, the plates came off his old car!

Attached Files:

29. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

30. Actually I think that was true only for Canadian and exports. Here in the States, the Navajo blanket design originated in 1930 models and did carry over into early 1931 models. Mid year 1931 Pontiacs got the indian head hubcap. I have two original 1931 cars (cabriolet and coach) both with very rough indian head hubcaps. The same indian head hubcap was carried over to sometime in 1933 here in the states.

I will look for the company that's doing the stainless radiator caps. I used to have brochure but will have to search.

Rick