Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 26t Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, May 22, 2008.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Just started collecting parts for a new project, Hopefully my 32 will be soon finished and I'm really getting the urge for some track action again, Was going to uprate my T but it would mean some major modification which would spoil the look to be honest so decided to start afresh.

New project will be a street & strip car and as my T will have crossplys, Body will be channeled 4" over the frame but full height.

I've picked up a 26T Coupe body which will have a heavier duty version of my T chassis under it as the motor is going to be a Cadillac 500ci I picked up, I had a bit of luck as I was going to buy all the parts for the engine from MTS who are one of the Caddy experts but when I joined their forum I managed to pick up all the parts for the engine from a guy in the states as brand new parts still in the boxes 30% cheaper than new :)

Engine should end up at 500+ cubic inches and has the following spec

10-1 Keith Black +60 pistons
    Scat forged rods
    MT20 very lairy Cam
    MTS Valve train conversion
    MTS Heads
    Edelbrock ported intake
    Edelbrock EPS 830 carb
    Full balance
    Cloyes heavy duty timing chain
    2" Headers
    Art Carr TH400 with transbake (Thanks Crusty)
    B&M 2200 stall convertor

My aim is to build a 60's style T again with Radir Tri ribs, Copper metalflake paint & a White fur interior !!! Hope to run very low 11's or maybe high 10's on crossplys, Maybe more on slicks.

I'm aiming for this kind of look but with Copper flake and obviously a 26T body

[​IMG]

Here's a few pics of the used body i bought

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is mocked up on a friends frame, This is very much how mine will look.

[​IMG]

Sue has been telling me to move the 6metre length of polished 100mm x 50mm stainless box from the side of the house, wasn't quite sure where to put it so decided to cut it up to size, I got a bit carried away and ended up making the side frame rails, still save having to do it later !!!

This is what i started with.

[​IMG]

This is the front suicide mount which i drew up and had laser cut.

[​IMG]

Here the side frame rails are marked out, the chassis design is the same as my 23T but i've goneup a size on the box as the Caddy motor has twice as much BHP and Torque as the 23T. The 100mm x 50mm looks very klunky on the front of a T so from the firewall forward will taper to 3". Side rails also taper in from the firewall 3 degree's

[​IMG]

Here's the mockup in Ply

[​IMG]

Once i had the side rails marked out it was time to get the 9" grinder out which was fitted with a 1mm stainless cutting disc and the sides were sliced. once i had finished cutting i noticed that the sides of the box had moved all over the place, this will be corrected with clamps before tack welding.

[​IMG]

Here is the side rail being clamped back together and tack welded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here i'm marking out the lightning holes in the side rail, they are graduated to suit the taper and will be sleeved

[​IMG]

Holes were cut with a selection of good quality hole saws, they cut perfect holes out quite easily, i used 1/8" wall tubing to sleeve them but due to the holes being graduated some are not available in stock size so i will turn the odd sizes on the lathe.

[​IMG]

Here the ends have been rounded off to 3", i used 3" x 1/8" wall tube which made the job much easier.

[​IMG]

The ends are now boxed off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the suicide mount parts polished, Ready to weld together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the engine mounts i had laser cut, They will get polished very soon.

[​IMG]

These are the front steering arms that i drew up and had laser cut. I have yet to add the threaded bungs to attach to the spindles. the holes are graduated and were drilled after cutting.

[​IMG]

Will update as i progress, Thanks for looking.

duecesteve, brEad and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

that is gonna be one nifty looking T!! keep us updated

3. holy crap!

that is rad!

duecesteve and chevy54man like this.
  4. tjm73

tjm73

Money is obviously not much of an issue for you.....:p I mean gas is what $9 a gallon over there....

Sounds cool. Thirsty, but cool. :cool:

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its up to $11 a gallon now :-(

Its gonna be a ball ache running it but worth it i think.

6. Paul Y

Paul Y

Steve,

Top work as ever.

Really looking forward to seeing this one out and about.

As long as we have enough petrol for the Outlaws Picnic is all I will add....

P.

7. You furriners are fucking psychotic! How will we measure up?

P.S. I don't know if I'd mess with Radirs, I think the chrome reverse would look great!

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Paul your 56 is probably just as thirsty as mine will be :-(

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm sure you guys are up there with us Rich LOL

The wheels are still in the balance :)

10. LabRat

LabRat

Hail to the "Flying Goldbrick" ! nice work man , look foward to seein more .

11. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Lookin, good Steve (as per usual) when Asbo sees this he,ll want to get his T into the workshop, the F*&T is nearly done at last .The workshop will soon look like a rodshop again with the 34 & T.Just off to the tyre shop to sort your slicks.

12. Looks really nice! I love Ts

Keep us updated

13. Looking great Steve.....

14. Who's Model A in the first shot? Any more photos?

15. Big Dad

Big Dad

Looks like nice work ... !!

Me thinks you should find a better place for the can of thinner and the can of solvent than right where you are cutting ?

But, thats just me .. worry too much

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW! Keep the photos and progress report current on this built! Top shelf work!

17. floored

floored

Maybe its the color or something, but most T coupes need chopped yours looks great the way it is. nice work on the frame.

18. Wow, Great start!

19. What beautiful work. Keep up the detail photos, so I can learn. I love watching you guys, because I learn something new everyday on the HAMB.

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Sorry Rich i don't know who it belongs to, Just liked it.

21. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

That is gonna be sick!!

22. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

Wow i cant wait to watch this one. Im building a T coupe and was gonna run a Caddy also. Keep it up man!

23. skottyknukkles

skottyknukkles

wow very nice. frame is gona be killer..!

24. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

That frame should be INSANE looking when completed. Any updates?

25. kelzweld

kelzweld

I love the lines of the T coupes. The stainless chassis looks good too. When using clamps on stainless, I find a bit of cardboard under the pressure points will save a lot of polishing (the clamp marks out) later on. Look forward to seeing this one progress.

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Simply Amazing ! .... I love Tall - T's !

27. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

28. Man, i love seeing unchopped T's!!

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100&#37;" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 2835236" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Richard D</TD><TD class=alt2>Re: My 26t Project
    <HR>Who's Model A in the first shot? Any more photos? </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The model A in the first photo is an Australian car - from Victoria to be exact(check the license plate!).

If it's not Greg Ford's car, it's certainly influenced by it! (Although last time i saw Greg's coupe it was blown, running slicks, painted flakes-so-big-you-could-kill-a-man-with-em green, and screaming down a drag strip!)

On second thoughts, it's Greg's PICK-UP that's green-flake, not the coupe! 10 hours of studying for a math exam has fried my brain today!!

Looks like the photo was maybe taken at The Picnic? C'mon you Mexicans, one of you must have taken it, or at least know who owns the car.....!

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

30. Looking good Steve...but laser cut parts??? Not very traditional is it now :D