Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '26 Roadster / Vintage photo search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Sick, sick, sick, love it, love it, love it.

2. MrModelT

MrModelT

....sorry about the text, some how the program messed it up. The stuff that got messed is:

Chicago Mark-E overdrive....
    '15 Franklin headlights...
    and Laurel Underslung brackets...

..all the important stuff.

3. MrModelT

MrModelT

I will scale down a bunch more pics for you guys and put them up in a bit...

4. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

neat little car I like it :) welcome aboard

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

In response to Rathbone, with car as it sits I can cruise a 55 all day. with a High comp head about 60 or so. With the 3 to 1 rear end gear set, 65-70 easy :)

Most of of hard to find stuff are all swap meet finds, but for the real weird stuff (the overdrive, headlights and lowering brackets) Ebay was the saving grace.

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

In response to Kustombuilder,

I got into hot rodding because I grew around the old stuff and my Grandfather was heavy in rodding in the late 1940's and early 50's (have a ton of pitures of Woodburn Drag stip, our local track, from this period). He always had something (Model As, Ts and late model stuff). I personally have always loved the Ts and huge aftermarket speed industry that followed (it may be safe to say that the Ts were the reason for the aftermarket speed industry we enjoy today) and alway wanted to build on. My firend Chris is also building a T speedster and talked me in to actually doing it.

I guess the best way to put it is that it is a tradition to build them the way our Fathers' Grandfathers' and Great Grandfather built 'em that should not be lost in time.

alanp561 likes this.
  7. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

[​IMG]
    Did you check the oil recently?

8. MrModelT

MrModelT

see?

Attached Files:

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

For the37kid,

The Steering collum is actually from a '23 or '24 Willys-Knight Sedan or limo.

Here are some better details on the lowering brackets:

Attached Files:

10. Nice to see one how they REALLY did it way back when.

11. retro54

retro54
    from PA

MrModelT... great diagrams man, and pictures! Thanks a lot for the information... this seems to a period of hotrodding... or should I say Gow-jobbing, that is seldom replicated, and when it is, attracts a lot of attention... cheers man, that's gotta be a blast...

...Now if I can only talk my little brother into lowering his almost restored '23 touring...

12. retro54

retro54
    from PA

MrModelT... I am guessing that you replaced the axle 'tubes' between the rear hubs and ring and pinion housing? If so, I was wondering why that was needed? just curious... or is that part of the overdrive somehow?

And one more if you would be so kind... I take it you are utilizing the stock Planetary brake and the rear drum breaks? if so, I am wondring how they are performing for ya?

13. MrModelT

MrModelT

Here are a few more for all you H.A.M.Bers who have such an intrest in my car and have been asking for more info and pics

Attached Files:

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

Retro54,

They were not replaced. Those are the polished originals. I chucked them in a lathe and hit them with finer and finer emery cloth pieces untill it had a polished stainless look....took 8 hours, and it was all for looks :)
    There is a photo of this on my last post. That is the other question I get all the time " how did you wrap your axle tubes in stainless?" lol!

You bro's T would look AWESOME with a 4"or 5" drop. :)

15. MrModelT,

Great work and welcome to the HAMB!!!

There are a more than a few T diehards here, so please keep us up-to-date.

Nice job on lowering the front and rear- what length/grade bolt did you use for the rear shackles?

16. Oh, what headlights did you use (from the angle, they look deeper than early T)?

[​IMG]

17. MrModelT

MrModelT

I used the biggest grade 8s I could fit through the perch holes i could find. I wanny say they are 3/4, but I will check my notes.

The headlights are 1915 Franklin from what I have found.

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

I will deffinatly keep you guys up to speed! I currently working on building a top for it. stock '26-27 style, but chopped to match the winshield hight. it will be done in white and then appropriatly aged to match the rest of the car :)

19. MrModelT

MrModelT

...Almost for got to add a few of pics of my (tastefully done mind you) patina and one of it this summer at the one of the very few shows I got to. This coming summer, I would like to hit alot of shows and cruise ins

Attached Files:

20. Just don't aim anywhere near the gas tank:D!

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

....and yes the bulit hole IS real and no, I did not put it there. LOL!

Actually the story of the doors on my car is rather amazing. The Great Grandfather of the friend that I bought the car from had purchased the car in 1959 as a project car and never did anything to it. When he purchased the car, it had no doors. They had been lost to time. After purchasing it, I started the search for a decent set of ’26-27 roadster doors with no luck. 5 months later, in a conversation with my neighbor who is also a rodder, I bring up this story. He tells me “heck I have 2 sets that I picked about 15 years ago a few swap meets in California and I sell ‘em both to ya for $50”. Of course I jumped on it and promptly drug them to the shop and fitted them on the car and took a few snaps for the records. When I got home and looked at the pictures, I noticed that the body had the number “357” painted down the entire side of the car from the cowl to the turtle deck, including the doors I just bought. This scenario repeated on the other side of the car as well. I had purchased to ORIGINAL doors for MY car ….the odds are a trillion to one.

brEad and Outback like this.
  22. MrModelT

MrModelT

Very nice! Was your a roadster or touring? love to see more pix if you got 'em

23. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Try searching this( Aldrich roadster) I love your car! I too have A 27 roadster But it's on A rails, post war like. And it's all Henry Ford. Jared

24. couverkid

couverkid

Great car I will be looking for it around portland neat to see another young hot rodder that gets it.

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

Nice to find another young rodder as well. I frequent the Beaches Cruise-in during the summer. Hope to see ya there!

26. jetmek

jetmek

killer job on that! just dont run too close to the car in front of ya. the old touring car i had would lock up the rears but would skid forever on those skinny tires

27. MrModelT

MrModelT

Ya, I know what you mean, I had to lock her once and I'll never do that again.

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

Jared,

Any picture of you T?

29. MrModelT

MrModelT

MBL,

Very nice looking T! That has a nice look to it. The the radiator shell, '33-'34 Chev?

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

I thinking maybe for either the Roadster or my next T (a hot lookin' earlier T touring along the line of my roadster) I would like to try and overhead valve setup. These were quite popular in the early days with 4, 8 and 16 valve heads from maufactures like Roof, RAJO, Frontinac, Craig-Hunt and HAL on the market. It was also semi popular to adapt either a '28 Chev or 3-port Olds head to the T block. There is currently a guy named Neal Jern in California that produces kit for this application called the Jern Thunderbolt. Any body got a spare 28 Chev head layin' around they might wanna part with?