Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1929 Model A Ford AV8 truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Dec 12, 2010.

1. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

2. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

3. Roupe

Roupe

Truck looks great and I like the bumper. Keep up the good work!

4. Thanks, I wasn't sure about the bumper but I like it now. I can always change it later.

5. farmer12

farmer12

Looking awesome!

6. I finally got to finish welding the frame up. Below are several pictures. The first two are the f1 cross member being fit to the a frame. You can see where I had to move the pedal mounts closer to the center of the frame so they will clear the rails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then It was out to the sand blaster. That is my most favorite job. It took 20 minutes to get the diesel engine started, and then it was about 20 more minutes before the air was warm enough to stop freezing up the blaster. Then it worked good about the time I was done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was clean enough to weld on. I added a fish plate where I lengthened the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. I made some more progress the last two days. I made some frame notches to allow the axle to go up inside the frame. I used 1/8 x 2 flat bar and bent it in a circle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I finish welded the frame earlier, it bent in the rear from the heat. I used the torch with the rose bud to heat it and I got it to come back pretty good. You can see the heat marks in the last picture.

[​IMG]

Next I made boxing plates out of 1/8x4 flat stock. I plasma cut it to fit and then drilled 2 1/2" holes on 4" centers. I used one hole saw to drill 35 holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Saturday I made a little more progress. I primered the frame on the inside and also the inside of the boxing plates. Then I clamped them to the frame and started tacking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Today I managed to finish weld and grind the welds for the boxing plates and da the whole frame with 80 grit. I wiped it down with wax & grease remover and sprayed it with high build primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you need to go pro on Photobucket so we can see all of the photos in the thread.

11. Can you see them now?

12. lrapso

lrapso
    from Costa Rica

Your work is a good inspiration.

I am colecting parts in orden make one some day.

I hope in a short time.

go ahead

13. Looks good to me. I can't tell and didn't see where anybody remarked about it but that looks like a good solid body. I'm subscribing and waiting for updates.

14. Thanks!

yes it is a real solid body. it has been off the road since the 1950's. I have a title form 1960 and it has not been registered or put together since.

15. Well I got back at it Saturday. I took the rear leaf spring apart and finish welded the torque tube. I have new spring bushings to install yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took about 22" out of the torque tube to make it fit.

[​IMG]

Here is the driveshaft. I had the coupler bored and welded to the shaft. It cost me $80.00 to have done, but I could not bore it exact enough on my lathe.

[​IMG]

16. Well for the last 2 weekends I have been prepping parts for paint. I started with the sandblaster. It was 8 degrees both days I blasted. It works better when it is above freezing but I managed. It took 1 1/2 hours to do the pile below and the rear axle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next step was to assemble the trailing arms on the rear axle and weld the mount to the torque tube. Then I had to weld the emergency brake bracket on. I double checked that my shock mounts would clear also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I need to get to the tire shop to have tires dismounted so I get the rims blasted. I am using 16x4 1/2 rims.

17. lorodz

lorodz

looking good

18. voodoobuick

voodoobuick
    from geelong

Wow, you have a great vision for this truck man,really dig it!

19. Today I got a present in the mail:D
    an Edmunds 2x2 intake. I think it will look good on the Merc.

[​IMG]

20. I got the old tires off and the rims are blasted and ready to prime.

[​IMG]

Here is the rest of the parts ready to prime:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Today I cleaned up the block. Now I need to pressure wash it when it warms up.

[​IMG]

22. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

factory relieve job ?

23. Yep, with hardened seats. It has all the signs of a Mercury or industrial engine.

24. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

very nice.
    i like your build, gonna be a fun ride..

25. Thanks!

I took a main cap and rod cap off to check the bearings. According to the Motors Maunal, the main bearings need to be 1.085 or thicker. I measured them at 1.085" so no wear I guess. I think this is a virgin engine. It was painted red with no repaints. The rod journals have .00035 clearance on them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. 94hoghead

94hoghead

gonna be a great little truck!

27. Loving this build! Keep it up!

28. Red Ram Hemi

Red Ram Hemi
    from Shack

What trans crossmember did you use?

Red Ram Hemi

29. boxstr

boxstr

Great thrread. I love the 28-29 Ford flatback trucks. The Frog truck is my third one. Craig

Attached Files: