Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1928 Tudor All-Steel Build, 40 years in the making

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maximus55, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Maximus55

Maximus55

Hello Everyone. I hope you all enjoy the slow process here in which i hope to document the build of my 1928 Model A Tudor Sedan. the short history: I am 29 years old, and have been trying to buy this vehicle for 8 years. My uncle has owned it since the early/mid 70's when he had a full custom frame built and got caught up in life and parked it. Since retiring he recently purchased a 100% complete all steel 28 roadster and after a few years into enjoying that vehicle I was able to pull this one away from him. It bleeds 70's with quarter-elliptical rear suspension hanging onto a 55-57 Chevy rear housing held square by a 4-bar rear suspension, a custom front tube axle with a single leaf and 4-bar setup holding onto a set of 52 Chevy hubs, a 67 mustang steering box to connect the steering, a small block Chevy in the engine bay and a solid body with fading baby-blue paint. It even has the 70's Blue California plates that I am battling with the DMV to keep. This will be a slow build, its one of 7 classic projects I have and I have plenty of life-distractions, however whenever I get a chance I will continue to plug away on this project.
    My plan:
    the old mantra of K.I.S.S. or keep it simple, stupid

The 4-bolt main 350 is seized from water damaged from a leaky roof 20 years ago, so ill build that later for another project, in the mean time I have a full drivetrain out of a 90 Firebird, so its light enough to happily enjoy the 305 TBI motor and 700R4 trans, will keep the TBI for drivability. Will reuse as many parts as I already have laying around so to keep the budget low. (its hard to dump money into one car when u have a ton of projects) I can tell you that I will be buying a steel recessed firewall, gas tank delete cover (don't wanna hack up the decent 85yr old tank), cowl face panel to finish off the gas tank removal, and I will be adding a '32 style dash and autometer gauges, a '32 grill and take the beautiful styling front end sheet metal from the iconic '32.

Here are some photos of it coming out of its home of 40 years waiting for some attention.
    More to come, enjoy the photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. Maximus55

Maximus55

Here is a list of parts ive put together so far.
    Cowl top, firewall recess and firewall top filler:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Full floor pans (trying to keep the wood to a minimum...):
    [​IMG]

32' style dash panel and autometer gauges (haven't ordered the tach yet, that's waiting on a coupon):
    [​IMG]
    Gauges part # 1601
    [​IMG]
    Tach part # 1695
    [​IMG]

Late model finned valve covers and a finned air cleaner to cover the TBI:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still need to figure out all of my 32' grill and model-a to 32-grill hood parts but for now I think I will start cleaning up the 305 and piecing this thing together.

That's it for now...

3. 305 tbi, 700r4, street rod firewall, auto meter gauges does not a traditional hot rod make...no offense, looks like a cool project, but I think you're in the wrong place.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

in my opinion, neither does a GLASS 32 roadster or coupe make a traditional hot rod, but they seem accepted here.

5. Please, do tell. Why do you believe a coupe is not a traditional hot rod.

6. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

key word being GLASS, meaning fiberglass
    key word being GLASS, meaning fiberglass

7. Ahh...gotcha I read it as all Coupes. Sorry.

Personally for myself, I'm a real steal snob. But I think guys should buy fiberglass or reproduction whenever possible. It's good for everybody.... so I don't really want to get into that argument. It's moot. I also like wood boats over fiberglass boats. They cut the waves better. sound and feel more solid. Thats really where my fiberglass bias comes from. They are certainly way more affordable, But I rather buy a steel A than a glass 32. but I'd build someone a glass 32....so whatever..

One could argue that "Traditonal" comes from the sum of the parts. all things being equal, you can't tell the difference between a steel or glass car as it passes you at 30mph.

anyways, sorry OP to hijack your thread. I think Honestly the car is cool as is. I like 70's rods. I was only posting to let you know about this place. One of the keys to getting a pass on non traditional items, is to not feature them to much around here. I should have been more detailed in my original post. I hope you didn't take it as me saying your car isn't cool. Old cars are cool. Period. While my own stuff is right up the super duper anal alley. I keep tabs on the other less traditional sites just to keep up on what is being done out there. Not everyone wants a period perfect car. What your building is certainly the essence and spirit of hot rodding. Taking what you got and making it go, along with using the newest and best you can come up with. Sorry if you took anything I said as a dig. It was not my intent. I had read your other thread asking about traditional stuff and maybe should have posted there....anyways carry on.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  8. Maximus55

Maximus55

nah, i get the comment hitchiker, and I never tried to say it was traditional. That's why i started this thread in the "general" section, where there is a hodgepodge of vehicles. I did NOT create this thread in the "traditional hotrod" section for that exact reason. Ive seen builds of all makes and models on this forum, just trying to add to the populous.

Anyone have any decent luck with a steering column mount/steering column they used in a early ford? theres like 100 ways to skin this cat and I am just wondering what worked for others?

9. Yeah that section is strictly for "period correct" builds. Definitely doesn't belong there. Those guys are all nut jobs anyways ;)

Anyways, this is a Quote from Ryan the owner that can be found on this thread here. It was more of what I was getting at. I think if you just don't mention the EFI to much, you'll be good to go.

"As mentioned throughout these guidelines, the H.A.M.B. focuses on TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs. Posts pertaining to traditionally inspired, but not quite period perfect belong on the main forum found here. Please note that we don't focus on things such as modern fuel injected motors, big-inch wheels, frame clips, after market independent suspensions, etc... at all on the H.A.M.B.. As such, posts that stray away from the "traditional inspired" will be deleted."

the whole thread can be found here

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

I think the only thing you really need to avoid is talking about the fuel injection to much.

I'm just slightly older than you, and like to see other young guys building stuff, so I'm hoping to see this thread stay around.

Anyways, to your question about steering, From what I remember, with SBC it's a bit of a tight fit. I know I've seen F1 or F100 boxes in them with small blocks. But I don't know the details of if you have to move it back at all. I've got a 53 F100 box modded to bolt in to the stock location. I haven't had it on the road, but just in and out of the garage, it feels like power steering. Easy to move the steering from outside the car thru the window...which is really hard to do with a stock A box.

I know a Corvair box is common. But I know nothing of those.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  10. Maximus55

Maximus55

Thanks for the clarification. Ill ignore the fuel system.

My steering itself is already dialed in, the linkage is all in place and a '67 mustang steering box is connected to the front axle.
    [​IMG]
    My curiosities are more in the realm of the column itself. what different successes have people had with re-purposed or over-the-counter columns?

11. Okay gotcha. Chevy tilt columns are super common in the era your car was built . But kinda clunky looking in there.I would maybe look at limeworks? I think they are supposed to be pretty nice. Kinda look like old Ford stuff. Then just use steering joints between the end of the column and box. You might even get away with a stock style column drop at the dash. Probably will need to tie it into the firewall for support too.

http://limeworksspeedshop.theshoppad.com/#/

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014