Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mustang Dragstrip - Near Waco, Texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Randy in Oklahoma, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

Anyone have any history or stories from Mustang Dragstrip that was north of Waco Texas, back in the 60's? I have tried locating it on Google earth, but no luck yet.

I ran there several times, it was a flag start, about 200 yards long, in a grove of oak trees. I remember there were rail road ties across the end of the shutdown area, to keep you out of the farmers field.

Seems like it was near the Ross exit of I35.

2. chicken coupe cook

chicken coupe cook

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some rare pics of the strip. The track was owned and operated by Roy Stone. Roy was a Mustang Motorcycle dealer (Mustang Drag Strip). A driver was killed there and the strip was closed shortly after that. Roy is still active today and is still involved with Mustangs!

Don
    www.soupupmagazine.com

pecker head likes this.
  3. Chet Scheel

Chet Scheel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some rare pics of the strip. The track was owned and operated by Roy Stone. Roy was a Mustang Motorcycle dealer (Mustang Drag Strip). A driver was killed there and the strip was closed shortly after that. Roy is still active today and is still involved with Mustangs!

Don
    www.soupupmagazine.com[/QUOTE]

Never went to Mustang that I can remember, am sorry to admit. Do recall many trips to Prairie Hill (east of Waco) & Little River (outside Temple). That would be early to mid 60's.

pecker head likes this.
  4. Brian McMorrough

Brian McMorrough

Never went to Mustang that I can remember, am sorry to admit. Do recall many trips to Prairie Hill (east of Waco) & Little River (outside Temple). That would be early to mid 60's.[/QUOTE].

Was there every weekend with my dad as a kid growing up in West. Was there the last night of races in the early seventies and even rode as a passenger a couple of times. The strip is still there but it' was a driveway the last time I went by. During the early 80s there was quarter horse racing adjacent to the old strip.

AHotRod likes this.

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You did find Dallas Road and Wiggins on Google Earth right. I mean it is just like the sign says. Dallas road to Wiggins which you can only turn left on. Then a mile on Wiggins puts you some where on the other side of the rail road tracks. Probably plowed under....

6. RabenWolf

RabenWolf

The old Mustang Drag Strip is actually my property now...we've owned it since the early 80's. The drags strip itself is the driveway to my studio and house. The old 1/4 mile dirt track is now a wildlife refuge. It's grown over quite a bit since those early days. Someone posted a couple of pictures from the race day and I barely recognized the property. We are actually looking for old pictures of what the track used to look like back in the day. MustangDragStrip.jpg

D.Lee and pecker head like this.
  7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Cool! Everyone should have an old drag strip driveway...