Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Munn's Root Beer Cutlassfrom the movie Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobwop, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the white wagon was another Taggert car. Big block Chevy powered and driven on the street by Mrs. Taggert! But also bracket raced, by her I believe.

Billy told me it just got beaten to death and ended up with a bad frame. They pulled the powertrain and had it crushed.

2. There used to be a company in east TN(that's where I'm from) called Geiser productions that sold all kinds of the old hotrod movies. That's where I got my DVD copy of Hotrod at the Grand Run one year in Pigeon Forge. I don't know if they are still around. I couldn't find anything of them on the web. Maybe some of you TN HAMBERs could find something out.

3. ssppony

ssppony
    from ohio

Big fan of the Hotrod movie here. I was about 14 years old when I first seen it. I was hooked on a 41 willys ever since......Finally all these years later I am in the process of building a tribute of the movie car. The car is about 75% done. actually painting it this week. I will try and attach photos if anyone is interested.

elgringo71 likes this.
  4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

paint? now don't go and make it too shiny!

looking forward to seeing the photos

5. ssppony

ssppony
    from ohio

Trying to add some pictures....New to the board.

Attached Files:

elgringo71 likes this.
  6. ssppony

ssppony
    from ohio

Thanks for the reply BOWOP. Not making it too shiny for sure. I went with the satin grey from eastwood. Main body done, have to do the front end and outside of doors/decklid now. Its turning out nice.

lucky ink likes this.
  7. ssppony

ssppony
    from ohio

Rolling chassis....hand built in litchfield ohio at my friends gasser shop.

Attached Files:

8. ssppony

ssppony
    from ohio

Be gentle on me guys....it is a glass body....no way i could afford a steel body right now.....and finding one in buildable shape is a tough row to hoe.

Drive line is a Hot small block with a muncie 4 speed. 9 inch ford differential. My sweet wife says Santa might bring the 426 hemi for me this christmas!!!! I gotta love her!

elgringo71 likes this.
  9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

if you get the 426 Hemi, we will overlook the glass body!

keep us posted!

elgringo71 and racer-x like this.
  10. rebelyank

rebelyank

There is a guy around N.H. who sells all the old car movies including Hot Rod on DVD Ive bought several at the Granite State Nats.& New England Dragway. I will see if I have his contact info. Last month I got 3 DVDs for $25 and all are good quality.

bobwop likes this.
  11. Dwc43

Dwc43

Looking for detailed pics of the 69 Olds Cutlass from Hot Rod.

12. alsancle

alsancle

I'm embarrassed to admit I just watched this for the first time. Not American Graffiti but still a really good car movie. Love the Willys. Music was ok, except for the closing credits.

bobwop likes this.
  13. Stu Cool

Stu Cool

I am likewise embarrassed to admit I have not seen it. This short coming was brought to light when I posted a picture at 2doorpost.com of my old Nova bracket racer that was taken at Oroville Raceway in Northern CA in about 1984, possibly late '83. The guys there spotted the Munn's Olds in the other lane and got all excited about it. So that gives a clue as to where it was at that time. I have not been able to make sense of the name below the driver's window. I am going to search my old photos to see if I can find more from that day.

Attached Files:

14. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Bringing this old thread back. Has Steve started on the Munns car?

I was looking at google earth photos and street view, because I am a Nerd.

The link below is in Calistoga - very beginning of the movie after he pics up Johnny Hurricane, driving into town with the flag man in the intersection.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.578...4!1s06uB4jlxcnPArvXbJ8WoJw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The link below is also in Calistoga - the small building in view is the Munns Drive-In and the white building int the background is the Munns Rootbeer Hall of Fame.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.580...4!1sBZUEBZ2VMndadZe9Ux2a-A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I was bored one day and scoured the map looking for the quaint little place where "Violet Springs" is, but have no clue. Hope to see some updates on the Munns Car!

bobwop likes this.
  15. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

2016-11-26 01.32.45.jpg 2016-11-26 01.34.15.jpg 2016-11-26 01.35.02.jpg 2016-11-26 09.52.00.jpg 2016-11-26 10.42.12.jpg 2016-11-26 10.42.28.jpg My uncle owned the '41 Willys used in the drag race scenes at Freemont. As you can see the light primer pics were taken April, 1978 when it had a Hilborn scoop, the dark grey primer is after the film was completed with the glass scoop used in the movie. The production was a nightmare for him. His car was in More American Graffiti as well, which led to it being used in Hot Rod. They installed a fuel hemi from a funny car and cracked his frame just firing it...they had to construct a chassis for it. The movie company kept it over a year and were uninterested in returning calls or the car. Finally he got it back with many pieces stolen...he was frustrated and sold the car.

I'm trying to understand where the cars went. This thread documents the Steve Castinelli car is the body used for interior shots, now painted yellow. Sounds like someone knows where the street car went...is it still a gasser? Does it resemble the movie at all? I fear my uncle's car is the Bill Mullins pro-street rod I unaffectionately call the purple people eater. If so and I had the money to burn I'd buy it and turn it back into a gasser!

mad mikey likes this.
  16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I just had the great fortune to buy the 50 Olds. I sold it to a friend about 7 years ago and he gave me the chance to own it again. Of course I had to watch the movie again in celebration.

Attached Files:

belair, mad mikey and Finn Jensen like this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bobwop, did that '50 Olds start its 'career' in Sunnyvale, CA.? (around 1962, same style/color/stance, as I mentioned a few pages back?)

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I don't think so

19. jnorth

jnorth

I'm a huge Hot Rod fan myself. Is there any update on the Cutlass? Also does anyone know what happened to the second Satellite/Belvedere?

20. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am not seeing any progress with the F85. Don't know about the Plymouth

21. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

Steve Castelli has the Munn's Root Beer Olds, I was at his Annual New Years Day Party again this Castellis NYD party 2019 003.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 004 - Copy.JPG Castellis NYD party 2019 004 - Copy.JPG year.
    Here's a shot of it,
    Mick

Just Gary, AHotRod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Awesome!

Thank you

23. chryslerfan55, bobwop and Just Gary like this.
  24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.