Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mounting spring behind axle 32 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Oct 1, 2012.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

How would you mount the front spring behind the axle ? Have a 32 Ford with a heavy axle. 32 spindles , 32 spring and juice brakes. I like the look and I assume mounting the spring bhind the axle would drop you lower? Is the a special mount? I 've never done it. Thanks

2. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

3. 54MEB

54MEB

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

5. That look works for some hot rods, but it will look like ass on a deuce.

6. A lot of guys mount the spring through the radius rods, that pushes the axle forward if you put the spring in the stock cross member.

I think if you are going to mount the spring behind you should do with hairpins. The early radius rod while stout is not made to be a load bearing member of the suspension. When using a hair pin you can actually mount the spring perch though the bat wing. The bat wing can be built to handle the stress.

Like adjustablejohnsons has suggested the Deuce does not lend itself well to this mod, normally you would cut the fram horns off to do this it just breaks up the flow of the deuce chassis.

if you want ot lower you can reverse the spring eyes, and de-arch the spring, replace the cross member with an A cross member as well as drop the axle. All of this will leave thw axle in its natural location and you will not have to clip the horns.

7. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

agree 1000%. Any pre-35 Ford I've seen with the axle behind the spring looks like a tractor.

8. He wants to do it the other way round..spring behind axle. There is one of Don Garlits' old hot rods in his museum the has the spring in front, and maybe it is the provenance, but I dig it on that car.

9. So to give you just an answer, there isn't a bolt on kit unless you use custom bat wings. That look is most often found on Fad T's not 32's. It's hand fab work that is pretty easy starting with a pair of perch bolts and a good drill. Make sure you work on a center line not square to the bones. Yes it drops your stance. Depending on where the new bushing eye ends up, that point to where the stock one was, that's what you get in exact inches of drop. Some times trying to use a spring you have on hand can be challanging. I have found getting a new main leaf the length I need is easier and then using the rest of the spring pack on hand.
    The Wizzard

10. Well it is off topic for the thread but I have seen some cars with the sring in front that are real lookers, the car has to be built around the suspension for sure. Set up correctly it is sweet and not done well it look like butt.

Tell you what is ugly and even farther off topic for the thread, I saw a deuce with the original deuce frame fenderless with a corvair front end on it. Good goobldy goop what a mess. :eek:

Getting back to it, I think of you are using a stock deuce frame and want to do spring behind you really want to get the spring as close to the axle as possible so that you don't move the axle very far forward. A little bit forward doesn't look too bad.

11. F&J

F&J

Yes, spring ahead was done a lot in my area, and also in many parts of the country. I just saw a chop/channel old build 32 5w at the Alterboys show, built in Wisconsin in the 50s. The car also had mods I have never seen, and that car was a treat to see.

It would take courage to build one today.. just imagine the s--- storm it would cause on here ;)

12. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

There's a recent thread on here concerning Duane Spencer's car, and the Rolling Bone's interpretation of it. Both look great, and get the front end down with an undropped axle. Wish I could do a link for you,but a search will bring it up. And it's (the thread's) entainment value is right up there as well.

13. I have axle yolks and a '38 Axle just to start that storm, by and by.

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Pete and Jakes makes a rear spring mount pair of batwings for use with hairpins. Also you might try Waldens Speed Shop. Jitney Jake is manufacturing a set of rear spring mount batwings that allows the shocks to be mounted behind the axle and in front of the spring for a cleaner look.

15. Take a look at doane spencers roadster,
    Get back to us.

16. It drops you lower if you bob the frame horns.
    Is that part of the plan ?
    The axle and the horns will want to occupy the same space.

17. Koz

Koz

18. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Oops. Sorry, I mis-read the post. Spring behind not ahead gives a great look.