Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration !!!***Mother of all Friday Art Shows***!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOMONSTER, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

[​IMG]

Getting ready to show this at Gasoline Gallery's California Screamin 6 next Saturday May 14. Step-by-step-how-to to come.

I call it "Flathead". HA!

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. 57 Corvette ~ Bob

57 Corvette ~ Bob

Happy Friday

Happy Mothers Day ........

[​IMG]

Something a little different again this week ........

[​IMG]

3. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Here's how I do it... The following descriptions match the attached photo titles...

Flathead progress 1: I start with a new black scratchboard surface with my previously drawn image transferred to the surface. I like graphite. The Pizz told me he likes carbon paper. Wearing white archival gloves to keep skin oils off the surface (or is it to keep the black scratchings off my hands?), I start scratching, occasionally blowing off the the residue shavings so I can see what I’m doing.

Flathead progress 2: My work is a lot of repetitive scratch lines. To simulate squishy brain matter, it’s all about curving the lines - sometimes letting the lines touch to create a highlight - and letting the edges stay black to define the direction.

Flathead progress 3: For the flathead motor, I basically outline and and start to fill in details. What you don't see in the background is a couple of reference photos.

Flathead progress 4: For the chrome air cleaners, I scratch to almost all white and leave thin black parallel lines to look like chrome reflections. Ed Roth flies added for low brow effect.

Flathead progress 5: More brain matter has been added and the eyes start to take shape. Also at the base of the brain stem I added something I try to sneak into every one of my pieces - my car - a 1964 Kellison Astra.

Flathead progress 6: After outlining the eyeball veins - which look a lot like flames in this case, I fill in the whites with more scratch marks.

Flathead progress 7: Spinal cords and disks are added. Not exactly an anatomically-accurate rendition you’d find in a medical book, but close enough.

Attached Files:

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Somebody's Mother........;)
    [​IMG]

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT... Bomonster!!! Verry verry Cool!!!!!

6. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Hours later... (One thing you don't get here is a sense of how much time it takes to do one of these. Most of the time is spent creating the initial drawing, looking at brain and flathead reference and re-working until it looks right. I typically spend 12-14 hours getting the drawing right. I'm pretty slow. The scratching part you see here is 4-5 hours)

Flathead 8: Here’s where the magic happens. Dan Greenberg called what I do a “high intensity drawing style” last week and I really liked that description. I was originally going to do something different with the background but felt that in this case “high intensity” could only help. So I start scratching and scratching and....

Flathead 9: ...and scratching. It’s important to keep the lines parallel and directional like they are glowing off the subject matter. Sometimes to make sure I’m on the right path, I’ll jump ahead and throw some little lines down where I’m heading so that when I get there I can check to see if I’m still keeping them going in the right direction.

Flathead 10: This is a very important step. Once finished, I stand the work up and stare at it while enjoying a refreshing beverage. Inevitably, I’ll see something that can be better. Then I give it the “overnight” test. The next day, with fresh eyes, I always see something that could be better.

Flathead 11: Once done, I spray a matte fixative over the surface and frame for the show.

Flathead 12: No matter how much you love your own work, there’s nothing more humbling than turning it over to a gallery for a public hanging. Here it sits on the floor of Gasoline Gallery waiting to be hung next to a bunch of very talented and much more famous artist’s work. In looking at the other pieces by other artists for the show lined up on the floor I suddenly felt like turning around and starting the whole process over again hoping to make it better the second time around.

Flathead progress 13: Outside the world famous Gasoline Gallery. Next Saturday this whole tranquil city block is going to be turned into a tire burning, throttle-punching, car show, art loving, hot rod hangout.

Flathead progress 14: The show.

Attached Files:

7. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

9. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

If you like hot rod art (and who doesn't) then you owe it to yourself to get to next Saturday's California Screamin' Show at Gasoline Gallery. You're going to see way better artists than me there.

www.gasolinegallery.com

Attached Files:

10. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Bob - great work - although I can't believe so many people let little kids clean their precious rods. Love the new look on your something different picture.

BoMonster - that is my brain on drugs - whoops I meant on car art - Stupendous!!

Nice PS work Crawford

Great moody B&W hot rod 32 - really cool and unusual. - Off to bed now to jump back into it in the morning.

11. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Thanks......... DG

12. GaryC.

GaryC.

Purple Power!
    The beauty of mechanical parts formed into art.
    Imagine a chassis that not only serves a function, but
    one that is formed to match the cars lines.

Attached Files:

13. GaryC.

GaryC.

Bob... I'm liking the "different" very much!
    BoMonster... Crazy Cool!

14. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

cool pics.

you may gave to pay a fee to jefferyjames, he has " the mother of all " tagline copywrited.

15. 57 Corvette ~ Bob

57 Corvette ~ Bob

Dan, Gary,thank you both ..........

Dan, love the processing you do. HDR?
    Gary, killer work beyond words .......

Very cool work by everyone ........looks like it's going to be a great Friday show.

16. AWESOME WORK GUYS!! Here are a few tattoo designs I just did for a friend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. thanks for the step by step bo. its always good to see something done by a master of their given area. (always wondered how it was done BTW). everyone else awesome start to the FAS, thank you

18. oh and KUSTOMLINEZ that winged spark plug is just plain cool:cool:

19. Deuces

Deuces

Guess I'm feeling a little patriotic this morning... :D May the mighty
    bald eagle smile apon you always!. :)

Attached Files:

20. aceuh

aceuh

Looks like it's gonna be another awesome show everyone!

Couple point & shoot snaps from me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well.... I thought this was funny...

[​IMG]

21. jaz

jaz
    from London, UK

Early start today - great show

22. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Here are a some shots I got to take at Vintage Torque Fest last weekend. Thanks to all art supporters that stopped by to purchase some art from me!! Appreciate it!! Sold some originals-time to make some more.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

[​IMG]

My first attempt at art with my new tablet. Far from perfect

24. Britt8M

Britt8M

The Window Cleaner

[​IMG]

25. sinful-one

sinful-one

Killer show this week, the title says it all.

Here's my contribution. "The Hangout"

[​IMG]

and here's a close-up
    [​IMG]

26. kingpins

kingpins

sinful-one...awesome stuff!

27. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

heres a scratchboard i finished up this week . im all out of boards :( need to get some more
    based off a photo i took last year at vlv
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

gotta run to work now and make flower arrangements for all the mothers out there , cant wait to get home and see all the awesome work this week from all of you

28. KCsledz

KCsledz

Here is what I have been working on. These will be going to a resin art toy show in Los Angeles that will be opening in June.

My new zombie hand shifter that I am now casting. In a glass dome with base
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flying Pie Monster - I am casting some cool monster feet to turn shift knobs in to standing desktop art.
    [​IMG]

My Dum-Dum shift knob as a monster
    [​IMG]

Flying Von Krabs Monster. My Von Krabs shift knob as a desk top sculture with wings ad feet. This one is still in process but should be done this weekend.
    [​IMG]

29. KCsledz

KCsledz

In case you missed the shrunken heads a few weeks ago. Here are a couple that I have customized with hemp stitches and creepy glass domes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.