Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Most Influential Customs of the past 15 years?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McPhail, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Custom? Did HAMBers just get dumber?

2. I completely agree with you on all accounts. We're talking influence here people, not which ones we like best.

Consider just the PPE and the "rudy truck". I think those two cars pretty much started an entire genre.

3. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

4. Eric Maskee's car was a 47 plymouth.

5. Oh let's not forget Mike Ness's 54 chevy . Im not saying I thought it was some great sled all im saying is that a SHITLOAD of people were looking for 53 or 54 chevys after this car was built and seen.I dont mean the painted version either,im talkin bout the grey primered and then the black primered versions.He was cruising it before Jesse was cruising Baby Ray's old car.

6. TMoney

TMoney

Thought this thread was about customs.

7. 53chevy

53chevy

I wanted to say Plymouth, but I'm thinking Dodge. I have the article Rob Fortier did in Street Rodder. AND WTH, were talking Customs, right. Why the Hot Rods...........

Ken

8. jim jr and sr are defenitly the biggest influence for me and what got me out of lowriders and into kustoms

[​IMG]

9. Rikster

Rikster

A few more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Janne

Janne

NO hot rods to this thread!

11. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

You may suck, :) but your Chevy doesn't. Not trying to be a kiss ass, but your Chevy Floored me when I saw it in Austin a few years back.

[​IMG]

12. flash

flash

Hey Dave thanks for posting pics, you saved me from digging them up. Hope to see ya around this summer!

13. Wow! Rik great pictures of Eric's ol Plymouth.Great lookin kustom. His dad still cruises it around town sometimes.

14. For me Rick Dore's '36 Ford was a huge influence.

Attached Files:

15. 53chevy

53chevy

Ahhh yes, it is a Plymouth(should have known better)! Always loved this Custom. I think Merc John helped on this one. Thanks for the pics Rik.

Ken

16. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Dick Dean was Great!!!

Attached Files:

17. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

That one was an influence to me as well, even though I had already started on my own taildragger project by that time, mine was still a pile of rubble on the garage floor. Looking at that car helped me stay focused and motivated.

There just weren't may taildraggers around to look at at that point in time.
    Now there are many, many more built and being built which is nice to see the style coming back to popularity.

Originally, it was Zocchi's 39 Dodge and D'Aggostino's 40 Merc Stardust that got me hooked on customs (taildraggers in particular), but those cars showed up more than 15 years ago.

After that it was Ron Martinez' 40 Merc and just a very few others around at the time including the Tangerine Dream that kept me hooked.

Then, I think around 2002 came that issue of the short-lived Hot Rod Deluxe that featured the Chopper's cars on the front cover, Fish's 36, Dragnut's beauty, and Weesner's box. That issue cemented it all into place for me.

Then the Black Dahlia, a few others, and now you see them everywhere.

A lot of the cars on this thread are really too recent since they came to be, and therefore I am nut sure you can really say they had an influence - yet. But they are great customs.

The greatest thing is seeing all the early style customs that are now in-progress on the HAMB - very cool! You can definitely see those influences now.

18. axle

axle
    from Drag City

McPhail, Hey, just a friendly suggestion. I can't even imagine how much work is involved BUT, maybe you can do two paintings? the most influential Hot Rods and the most influential Kustoms of the past 15 years?

19. hudson_hawk

hudson_hawk

bass was well on the way with this chevy

Attached Files:

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car just wears me out. Everything works. Stunning crafstmanship. Style from hell, I just love it. What's up with it lately? I was following the build some time ago.

21. twochops

twochops

When I saw the rear view of Zocchi chopped 57 buick,I knew that my next project would be a chopped Buick.In less than 2 weeks I get my wide whites
    to complete the Buick.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What ever happened to it? He had another that he was building. It seems like Bass has a bottomless pit that cars fall off into once there are close to paint. hahaha!!!

23. Church

Church
    from South Bay

This is every bit a custom as it it a hot rod. I think it really kicked some people in the balls when it came out. Got to give it props......even if it doesn't land in the top 15.

Junichi Shimodaira's Rod-riguez.

Attached Files:

24. the black dahlia was built way before rick dores or fish's cars were built!

25. Shawn M

Shawn M

We have mentioned the Choppers and Ness' 54. Those guys were featured in the first issue of Hot Rod Deluxe in I believe '99. As I was standing in the grocery store back then at the magazine rack looking at the same old stuff, I see this, I was shocked to see that people were building this stuff again. My Chevelle has been on the back burner ever since. So those cars have been my first if not greatest influence into traditional rods and customs.

26. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I believe it is at Soncy Road paint & body in Amarillo.

The owner (Dudley) still has it, but last I heard it is still in the same state it was the last time it was here. I think he lost interest in cars for a while...but who knows, it could still get finished some day.

[​IMG]

The second Fleetline is still in my shop, waiting on more metalwork. And I do have several projects that are all approaching the bodywork/paint stage at roughly the same time. :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  27. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

I have to agree.One of the most amazing cars I've seen in person

28. McPhail

McPhail

That idea had entered my brain.........

29. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I first started getting into this stuff in the early 90s I guess all the ingredients were right to send me down the "Traditional path" it was more about style and attitude than shiny and expensive.
    as the years have gone by my tastes have changed but I remember a street rodder magazine in about 1995 that had a small pic of a carson topped 39 ford with a packard grille (that later was in the remake of gone in sixty seconds) and a 56 ford truck that looked alot like Sandy Wachs' but was magenta. There was something about those cars that were almost the definition of cool to me.

in the years to come Brewsirs pickup was definitely influentia.l it wasn't until I saw that around that I noticed other kustom trucks, and there was a shoebox that had mercedes benz headlights and angel hair that I thought was AWESOME in 2000. today I'd not care for that car as much as some trends have come and gone but I always remember "where I came from" Steve youngs chevy is gorgeous but it was on the rhino box set it's already seen press.

That desoto zephyr thing is amazing
    Anthony's bubble top is is definitely influential.
    and I think Tony Farnetti's 35 was really a torch carrier in the great traditional rennaisance.
    There was also a chopped hardtopped buick with flames that you couldn't spit at a car show without hitting or open a mazine without seeing I think te owners name was Jerry
    Finally I think Tommy Herreras T-bird was traditional and out of the box at the same time.
    I wish I could find pics but I guarantee everyone whos been around this stuff dor more than 8 years knows the cars I'm talking about.