Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most Expensive Ride You Got to Drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dennis kirban, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One of the newer ford gt's. Did the PDI on one at the dealer I worked for. Drove it about 100 ft. :eek::confused::rolleyes:

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

In the mid 80's, I worked the front office and storage lot for a paint & body shop. We got a '69 Ferrari Dino 206 GT towed in. The guy wanted a minor paint touched up. I got to drive it from the parking lot, to the body shop. About 100 yards.

YES! IT COUNTS!:p

3. 1965 my cousin let me drive his 1958 Facel Vega

4. In 1961, the husband of my Mother's secretary let me drive his 1959 F.I. Corvette. Alone! He told me not to over-rev it. I didn't. Close, but not over the red line. I was 14!

5. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Not this exact one, but quite similar. You could get a nosebleed up there...

bigcat.jpg

6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I got to drive some Rolls-Royces back in the eightys that were new. I took care of them for a doctor who hired me to do that. The next one would be the hotrod I drive now. My wife thinks I have a million dollars in it...............................

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1963 Porsche Carrera 2! Awesome car. I wanted it so bad....but I could not afford it. A friend let me keep it for a month or more. I did some work on it and it was not fun to work on but boy was it fun to drive.

8. The most expensive ride (not a car) I ever drove was a Navy PBR on the rivers & canals of Nam. Other than that it would have to be an all out racing set up Jag XKE on the 91 freeway back in the 60's.

9. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Actually, the trip to Dearborn was fairly stressful as far as I was concerned. We'd done a lot of mechanical and electrical work on the car, and it had never been road tested. There was some question about the vacuum (fuel pump) tank, and something quirky about the brakes. I can't really remember, but they may have been mechanical with a servo assist, sort of like a PTO, but the car had to be moving to generate assist. Uphill starts were terrifying. If you released the brake, but had to apply the brake again, the car would roll backward maybe three feet before the servo applied enough power to stop the car. It may have been worth $50,000.00 then, but that was a lot of money in 1976.
    Anyway, it was worth it. When we arrived at Dearborn Village, we found that the owners of the car had reserved the upstairs of a little guest cottage for us, just us.

10. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

I was a mechanic fresh out of high school back in 1988. A car came in for new tires, 1965 Corvette convertible with a 427 Turbo Jet and 4 speed, diamond condition. It was worth... well it was expensive so there. It had the knock off spinners instead of lug nuts... yea this gets sloppy. I was really careful not to scratch the rims as well as the spinner caps, using a phone book for buffer as I smashed them tight with the brass hammer we found behind the seat. I took it for a test drive and the tires rubbed the fender wells, so back in the shop for a smaller set. Do it all over again and the second set of tires were also too big. Third set of tires fit nice, no rubbing. I promptly took it out the back way to beat the shit out of it but I chickened out and just did my road test. Well, a month later I got promoted from the tire line into the chassis dept. Later that day, the Vette returned on a flatbed with the right rear wheel missing and the quarter panel was pretty much torn off at the ass. The manager walked up and said 'make sure he has a Corvette lug wrench in his toolbox'. No hard feelings I guess. Damn Chevys.

11. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

Worked as a lot boy at an exotic car rental place in newport Beach CA in the 1980's, got to drive all the cars, but my favorite was taking the "magnum pi" Ferrari to the gas station, I then headed to McDonalds for a burger (where else?), I parked the Ferrari illegally almost blocking the front door, I thought I was so damn cool, LOL

12. daddylama

daddylama

ex wife

wicarnut likes this.
  13. My job requires me to drive rare cars.

31 Chrysler Imperial Dual Cowl
    31 Chrysler Imperial Limo
    62 T-Bird tri-power Sports Roadster
    Saleen S7 twin turbo
    65 Cobra 427
    71 & 72 Pantera
    62 Vette fuelie
    54 Vette
    GT40
    60 Chrysler 300F
    70 Shelby GT500
    71 Mustang 429 Drag pack
    41 Chevy cabriolet

14. Only one - a 2012 Audi V10 R8 roadster all wheel drive. 450K and yeah, it was FAST !!

15. ross59

ross59

IMG_2950.JPG

Sort of familiar with these, though no post war cars wore the SS Badge technically.

16. das858

das858

We had a customer in 1995 that had a custom built 32 vickey to compete for the riddler award . He had a driveability problem where the car would intermittently stick at 3500 rpm . Turned out to be when the builder painted the engine some paint ran down the throttle shaft and would hang up one of the throttle body valves . He had about $250, 000 in the car .

17. I got to drive the cad-mad last year.....kinda expensive

18. My ex-wife's 68 VW beetle.
    I drove it to a lawyer and it cost me a fortune....:(

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I drove this one on an off the trailer when I worked with the owner in the early 2000's. Baja 1000 race truck. as I recall it had a 600 HP 390 cubic inch small block Chrysler at the time. worth $60,000 used, but built by Chrysler for a bunch more. I have a photo of it somewhere about 10 feet off the ground jumping over a whoopdee on the race track.

we would spend a weekend putting graphics on the body then the body would be all over the race course within a few miles. the chassis was a crazy bit of engineering to say the least

we were pretty good buddies, I wish he had a drag car instead.:)

129931-9d64202fb63f371dea55e8afe373b889.jpg

20. PixGif.gif

200mph before I left my driveway.......
    004.JPG

wicarnut likes this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

The one I have now..... $42,000.....
    Wish I could post a picture of it... I just don't want to piss off the BOSS man.....;)

22. cfmvw

cfmvw

Got to drive a 1949 Hebmuller, which is a two seat VW Beetle convertible. About 600 were built before the Hebmuller factory burned down. About 60 of them are still known to exist, probably a $100k car. This one was fitted with a 1952 Porche drivetrain (more $$$), but it sure was fun!

23. Stone 2 cents worth...
    I never drove anything expensive.

Clownpenis.fart

24. RmK57

RmK57

1970 Boss 429 Mustang.

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

OK fellas, lets get back to traditional hot rods and customs.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.