Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mooneyham/Sharp #554

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 12, 2008.

1. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

One of the best hot rods of all time hands down. Got to see it run a few times at Sacramento.

2. vntodd

vntodd

Does anyone know what color the coupe was at this stage???
    have some action shots of the 554 coupe from the mid '50s (just fenderless, but same paint job as seen here). The plan is to do a painting or two from the pics.

Thanks in advance!

Todd

3. Fenderless, before it was blue, it was metallic silver. In fact, the 554 numbers were taped off, leaving silver numbers when it was sprayed blue.

4. During the summer of '63, I followed Gene and Larry, and saw every one of their match races defending the 1320 Jr. Eliminator #1 ranking. I count seeing the coupe run in the 8's the very first time, on a Saturday night at LIONS, as one of my best memories. What I did not know then, was that Gene had sold the coupe earlier in the day. When I met Gene in '96, he told me the 8 second run came because the new owner wanted to run the car harder. The Jr. Eliminator rankings were for cars 9 seconds and slower. Gene related that he knew the car so well, he knew the exact tune up to run 9.0's at every strip. He made good appearance money defending the #1 spot, and told the new owner, once it runs 8's, the money stops. Gene Mooneyham was a humble man. He was surprised to hear how many guys were fans of his coupe. I got to know Gene pretty well in the late 90's. I am proud to have called him a friend. RIP Gene.

Attached Files:

5. talker

talker

the 554 coupe was at the nhra hrr in bowling green on display in front of the tower friday morning got some great photos will put them up when i learn how Talker lead announcer bg nhra hrr.

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Simply bitchin eye candy and music to my ears. Another reminder of why I'm currently building a hammered 34 5/w!

An 8 second pass and it didn't even sound like it was running at 100%...Anyone know what 554's fastest 1/4 mile time was???

7. Memories, memories, memories. Thanks Ryan....................just awsome.

8. brandon

brandon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. The coupe has run near 190, right down close to the 7's. Not too shabby for a 2700 lb. race car.

10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Another amazing thing,aside from all it's accomplishments, in the old photos, no rust anywhere!

11. beeper

beeper

STEINER RAN AN 8.10 AT FREMONT---90%----LOW LOW AIR IN THE TIRES----HE LOVED WHEN HE GOT TO GO FOR IT---BEST SOUNDS EVER----WILL POST MORELAND AND FAT JACK VIDEOS SOON----THIS VIDEO IS AT BAKERSFIELD---JON LUNDBERG ANNOUNCING
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNo1U3rSnLg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  12. frank spittle

frank spittle

beeper, how ya doin? This is the one I really like. Steiner smokes it almost to the clocks, lifts, nails it again just before the clocks and goes into heavy tire smoke again through the clocks. Man that car had some horsepower. Jerry loved driving it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8MhmS8A20

It didn't work. What did I do wrong?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  13. Johnny99

Johnny99

Got to see that sucker run at Seattle when it was still S.I.R. with Gerry Steiner [I think he went by the handle of the "Mad Austrian"] at the wheel. Smoked the tires to about 3/4 track. It was beautiful.
    John

14. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

YES ! and no burn out!

15. jlow

jlow
    BANNED

that thing is a god damn bullet...

16. I hope someone can get the tire smoking run youtube to work. I was there and remember it well but would love to see it again!

17. It was so bad ass, but I love it because body wise it wasn't too radical. Looks about like any '34 hot rod you might see...until closer inspection! One of the top 33/34s of all time. Right up there with Pierson Bros. coupe.

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

If you click on beepers link and then go to the side bar and click on the Mooneyham and Sharp link or the Mooneyham-Pure Heaven link you can see some serious smoke. I have not figured how to post a link.

19. beeper

beeper

Fat jack 46 ford---clay smith (stregal) blown big block---al ventura driving---ndra had a worlds fastest street rod class (had to be street legal)--this is a 3/4 pass--look at mph---this approx. 1985---when real NOSTALGIA RACING WAS GOING ON...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZyioNpUBwg

20. This is what I always thought was neat, runnin' a blown hemi on fuel through this:
    [​IMG]

I noticed the latest version has a Dana.

On another note, I was under the impression the car made a showin' at this year's Hot Rod Reunion @ Bowling Green. That was one of the reasons I cried myself to sleep every night over that weekend ... 'cause I couldn't go and see it.

21. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

There were quite a few Chain drives in the mid to late 50's Bicycle and Motorcycle

22. beeper

beeper

23. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

thank you , very much. that was bad ass.

24. beeper

beeper

I will post some more good ones soon.

25. beeper

beeper

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  26. beeper

beeper

27. cruzr

cruzr

awsum...............................................!~!~!~!

it dont get any better

28. RAY With

RAY With

There is so much old Iron out there thats still doing the shows. Its really an awesome trip to be able to see articles like this to stir the memories a little.

29. beeper

beeper

30. slepe67

slepe67

spinning all the way down the track he STILL went 11.90....

This is the car that started it all for me. At the time, I had a 67 Mustang I used to drag race. Went to Garlits and saw the coupe...then I found a 32 Ford Tail light on an Iraqi AAA piece and "borrowed" it. Then I found a frame...then I sold the Mustang hahaha

keep this thread going!