Register now to get rid of these ads!

Monroe WA Swap Meet this weekend!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, May 14, 2007.

1. F&J

F&J

Hey, I have a question on 56 motors... They used Hydramatics on the cheaper base 88, and those cranks are drilled for the pilot bushing like a standard shift. I know the Hydra 56 motor was a "V" code on the stamped ID number, and I assume std shift was also V. But the 56 Jetaway was "A" coded, and I could never find out if those A 56's were drilled for the bushing, because they did not need it like a Hydramatic. Is yours a 56? and is it A-code.... and is it drilled?

You might get lucky with a search on the Cad starter post on hamb. maybe

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My crank is drilled for the pilot bushing, I will check the code.
    On the Cad starter deal, I have looked at a few photos, They arent REAL clear, but I think its a "non-starter":rolleyes:. It looks like the solenoid on the cad starter is clocked inline with the bolt holes, and the starter holes in the bellhousing are canted about 30 degrees to the frame rail. The holes in the Olds starter changeover are verticle. It looks to me like the back of the solenoid will not clear the oil filter pad on the block. I think mounting an Olds starter upside down is the only way.
    If I run the 6 volt starter on 12 volts, it will spin faster(good thing) right?

GRRRRRRR! Did a little more research on the HAMB, looks like I just spent 2 hours searching for photos of the wrong @&$! Cad starter:mad::rolleyes:. Should be the cad flathead v8 starter. Im done for now, I will dig further this evening...

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm so full of sh!t...as if Mr. ocd could have just let this lie till evening...:rolleyes:
    I have looked at a few cad flathead pics, I am about 75% that this will work, and 95% sure I can get a cad flathead starter with one phone call.
    The pics I found of cad flattys LOOK like (the photos I found arent totally clear) the starter mount holes are verticle, and In the photo I saw with a starter installed the solenoid is canted towards the pass. frame rail. I will check ring gear tooth count on the cad flatty, but my guess is, this will work, and the solenoid with be oriented so it points upwards, canted slightly away from the block.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Was reading on an allard forum, the cad flatheads apparently use a 156 tooth flywheel, but you can swap the pinion gears on the starter. I can get the Cad flatty starter, so I will need a pinion gear for a '49/'53 cad starter, and Bobs yer uncle... I think...

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Sounds like i missed out on a ton of olds stuff! I actually came out ahead this year, which means i didnt find crap. Lots of odds and ends

6. JimSibley

JimSibley

It was fun. There were deals everywhere. That's a good swap if you ask me.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I thought so. The drop out center 4.10 ten bolt cost me $75 and its a tri-5 housing. I didnt even haggle with that guy, asked him how much, he said $75, I said DONE! I got the mallory for $100, '37/'41 spindles/kingpins were $50, got a '58 ford horn ring, delco generator, couple other odds and sodds, didnt pay more than $20 for any of that stuff.
    Heathen, the olds stuff I got from Paul wasnt actually for sale at the swap meet, I'd just arranged with Paul to pick it up there. We actually did the deal over the phone and by pm over the last month or so. I did find the mallory in the swap, but I snagged it about 5 minutes after the gates opened. Gotta be fast...

Jim, I love your signature line. Goes a long ways to explaining how I wound up with 8 friggen cars!

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

balancer,
    and J2 tripower sitting on spare '57,
    no pix of '57 Poncho 9.3 3.42 posi rear with Henry axles but you seen one of those you've seen 'em all

20150516_153744.jpg

20150517_123501.jpg

gsnort likes this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I am using my wifes stupid Ipad, I have never figured out how to post pics on this thing...

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Paul, that tailshaft in the pic is the end of the green 2x4 394, right? I saw another pic of that motor in a chopped Model A coupe with chromies and pie crusts on another thread. Is that what you are going to do with it? I really liked the looks of that deal, and it should really stomp. Neat car.

By the way, remember the two aircraft mechanics carrying on about my engine cradle? " oh man, thats not safe, that'll never make it home, Not structurally sound, yadda, yadda, yadda"? Well, not only did it make home, the motor is still sitting on it in my garage...those airplane guys are such a bunch of old ladies....:rolleyes::p

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

No, same engine different car, that coupe got a 6-71 blown 371, unfortunately I sold it before I got to drive it.

update on model a coupe

13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Made it on Saturday, it was a good swap meet seen some pretty deals on items. Picked up a Stewart Warner Hollywood gauge panel for $40, nice chrome, no gauges or insert.
    That's a nice wheel balancer, used my Dad's like that quite a bit. There was another of the same style with the plastic base for $45.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a balancer like that in a Firestone store in Waco TX for the three years I worked there and Dad had a 57 Olds that ran a J-2 like that including the same air cleaners.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hey does anyone know the guy in the back row behind the main building that had the two stewart warner electric fuel pumps on his table? I want to contact him.

16. JimSibley

JimSibley

I was the guy carrying the blower Pullies around all day like he had just found the holy grail.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Funny! I did the same thing with the olds dual point Id found! I was holding onto it like it was a holy relic or something...:D

18. samurai mike

samurai mike

oct. 10 2015. next weekend boys and girls! who's going this year?

caseywheels likes this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not this time around but I will be back for the spring one.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Paul are you going next weekend?

21. CGkidd

CGkidd

I am planning on going will see if I am working

22. samurai mike

samurai mike

thump is back!

caseywheels likes this.
  23. samurai mike

samurai mike

two more days. no shaggy?

24. Hmmm... Must be out solving mysteries with ScoobyDoo & the gang ? ;)

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. RmK57

RmK57

Supposed to rain hard all weekend. That will thin out the herd some.

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have a very good friend that ALWAYS has a booth set up there twice a year, he's even paid for two spots INSIDE, but he's decided not to go. I guess he's getting tired of have to "deal" with everyone, and their B.S. He's primarily a Tri-Five Chevrolet vendor. I was going to let him take a big supply of some of my new parts, but since he's not going to be a vendor, I might just go see what's what on my own. SHAGGY, have you ever used the OD transmissions you got from me? I'd like to talk to you about them. Any interest in a small journal 302 rotating assembly (all NEW)? Send me a P.M. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. samurai mike

samurai mike

one more day. anybody else going? i know it's going to be wet but we lucked out for a lot of years.

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yes, I plan to