Register now to get rid of these ads!

??Model T spring in Model A rear crossmember??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by general gow, Feb 19, 2008.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i am putting a T spring in the rear of my Model A to get it to sit just so, and i wonder if anyone has done this and can answer my questions on how to take up the extra space. the T spring is not as wide as the stock A spring which leaves room fore and aft inside the crossmember. Has anyone done this? how'd you get it done?

i tried a search, but it doesn't like one letter searches, like Model T.

so let me know what you have come up with.

thanks.

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

How much space? (couldn't be that much?) The front crossmember in my old roadster was built from square tube and had probably 3/16" of space between it and the spring on each side. It was located by the center bolt and held in place with the u-bolts. No problems. You might be overthinking this?

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

the center bolt should hold it where it needs to be....putting nubs on the U-bolt plates would help also down there

people bolt springs right onto flat plates for perches with no problems

good luck
    Zach

4. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

The A spring is 2.25" wide and the T spring is 2" wide.
    I would buy a bolt to go through the spring, make sure you get the webbing between the spring and crossmember (metal to metal surface is never good) and make sure the mounting brackets pull the spring snug against the crossmember. If you are really worried about the spacing, take some 1/16" metal/rubber and put it on either side of the spring before you clamp it to the crossmember.

Attached Files:

5. Ole don

Ole don

I used an A spring with a T curve. If you really have to use the T spring try industrial belting for a shim.

6. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Pasadenahotrod posted a guy that makes a copy of the 1928 Model a roasdster spring..its shaped like the t spring....I think its a company named " A Springs" I'm thinking of getting one

7. I used a Model T spring on my '28 Roadster P/U. I just centered it in the hole and tightened it down tight. To lower it more I heated the ends up and curled them in about 1 1/2 inches then cooled the ends in oil to re-temper the metal. I now wish I had the ends reversed because I want it lower and need more space between the end of the spring and the backing plates.
    So if you just curl the ends up more I would go 2 inches.

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

KEVIN,

the T spring is 2" wide, and the inside of the crossmember is spaced for a 2 1/4 spring. that would leave 1/8" front and back if centered by the center bolt. maybe i am over thinking it...

9. RPU Rick

RPU Rick

Wasn't this the norm "back in the day" to clear a quick change center section???

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.

11. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

About how much does using the T spring lower it? Thanks
    Ratty55

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

ratty,

the T spring with reversed eyes, like i have, should lower it from stock by about 2 1/2 inches. i also had my stock A frame stepped, a la the Bishop/Tardel book. this should lower the back end about 5 inches from stock. that's pretty much exactly what i am going for.

13. Both A and T springs will clear a quick change....

14. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

I've been dealing with over the past couple of weeks. While a 't' spring will fit in a 'a' crossmember with a little "play" due to it's width, the problem I had was with the spring clamps and the high arch of the spring. The arch and angle don't allow u-bolt and the clamp to come together. The clamp has a 'pad' on it that doesn't seem to allow the nuts to thread up on the u-bolts when using a 't' spring in a model 'a' rear crossmember. You could lose a couple of leafs or c-clamp the spring into the crossmember but it doesn't seem right to me. That said, there isn't anything that can't be modified. -stick
    And now for the shameless plug:D I have a 't' spring with reversed eyes if you need it.

Clamp w/pad
    [​IMG]
    'A' spring on top.
    Modified 't' spring in center With less leafs, reversed eyes.
    Stock 't' spring at bottom with full pack.
    [​IMG]

deluxester likes this.
  15. There are two different height 'A' spring clamps.

A tall one for 7/8 leaf springs and a short one for the thicker 10/12 leaf springs.

Maybe thats your problem?

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

BUMP- i have a T spring with reversed eyes too.

i know that the Rolling Bones guys use spacers at the bottom of the spring to tighten the u-bolts, fwiw.

17. SASROD

SASROD

When you bolt the stock clamps up to a stock "A" crossmember are they supposed to hit the spring first and then "compress" the spring some till they tighten against the bottom of the crossmember. Or n other words if you remove some leaves or have the wrong thickness clamps how do you know how much of a spacer to put back in to take up the slack?

18. Elrod

Elrod

Yeah. I don't understand the problem you are having with the spacers. Are you saying that the nut on the bottom of the clamp won't turn because there is a ridge there making it not work?

Or are you saying that the T spring contour is not the same as the A crosmember?

As far as there being space there, your rear wishbones are going to keep the rear end from wobbling to the front and back, and the clamps will hold the spring in tight.

19. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Ahha! Different sized clamps. That's probably the answer/problem. I ended up using a stock 'a' spring, it got me exactly where I wanted the frame to sit. Thanks for info fellas. -stick

P.s. does anyone know the best way to get the stock bushing out of the spring eye? Press, grind, or BFH!

Marcia likes this.
  20. Elrod

Elrod

I bought the bushing driver kit from Harbor Freight.

If it's really stuck, I've also used a chisel and rolled over the edges, and then used a punch and driven it out. I've also used a small hack saw with the blade through the bushing and saw for a while.

21. kirby1374

kirby1374

so...does a stock "T" spring on an "A" lower it. and if it is all about reversing the eyes and taking out leaves why use a "T" spring?

22. 30Apickup

30Apickup

my t spring is wider than my a spring the eyes on the t spring are very close to my backing plats