Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A pickup, my first build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by F-6Garagerat, Sep 11, 2010.

1. 117harv

117harv

Well done...drive it man, drive it.

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks Harv, I've been driving the crap out of it. Got in my daily driver a while ago and it felt sooooo strange, lol.

sko_ford likes this.
  3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

That came out great. Looking forward to seeing it next weekend

Martyn

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit

4. Great to see this thing on the road! You must be ecstatic!

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I am! Sick as hell with a cold and a fever today. Took it out for a ride anyway. It was still fun.

6. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Get some rest & vitamins, ya Knucklehead!

You gotta be well on Saturday for Sins of Steel!

Or I will drive ur truck with you strapped in the bed. (just so you won't yak in the cab)

Sent from somewhere using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Hahahaha. Way ahead of ya. Went to urgent care this morning. Antibiotics, cough syrup and the day off tomorrow. I'll be ready.

8. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Awesome truck, love the look!...bring on the inspiration for my build!

9. Truck looked really nice....saw it under the striping area at sins today

10. olskool34

olskool34

Saw the pickup at sins, looked really nice. Are you going to clean up the back of the cab where it was chopped or are you leaving it?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Beautious and beastly! Love it man!!

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks. The cab will get straightened up this winter. It was chopped in the '50s and gas welded, there is a lot of warpage that needs to be addressed, holes that need to be filled etc. and a ton of other things that will need to be tidy'd up. After being sick for a few years, I just want to have some fun this summer.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  13. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks Andy and thanks everyone else.

14. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Here's a few shots of the dash after Hiser laid some stripes on it.

image.jpg image.jpg
    And the man in action image.jpg

kidcampbell71 and sko_ford like this.
  15. olskool34

olskool34

Hell man, if you need a hand hit me up. I would love to work on that pickup.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

This made my night. That's my truck on the lower right of the page.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

kidcampbell71, kiwijeff, Tuck and 2 others like this.
  17. You're keeping good company there!

18. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Awesome pickup, you got it looking real good,what's the speedo,
    Cheers

19. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

QUOTE="whitewallwilly, post: 10464746, member: 182096"]Awesome pickup, you got it looking real good,what's the speedo,
    Cheers[/QUOTE]
    Thanks. Speedo is 36 Ford. Wish it was a 37 like the one below but can't find a good one. Anyone got one they might want to part with?
    image.jpg

20. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Looks great man! Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

21. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Just some pics of the new gas tank. I hate tractor grills on hot rods but they made some hell of a gas tanks. 1934 Farmall tank. 13 gallons.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

22. Sweet little truck, I'm partial to them as well. Love my little Model A truck. (see avatar)

23. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

Maybe the same guy chopped my 32, the back of the cab looked about the same, lots of oil canning and such. I'm not an accomplished metal finisher, but a few strategic cuts with a cutoff wheel and a few mig welds and it looked a lot better. Heat and shrink, hammer, dolly and grind.

Now I'm working on a 29 roadster, even tighter than your truck in the engine bay. I have cut the firewall something like yours. I am also going to use a 283 with tri-power, and it looks like I'll have to raise the body in order to pull the distributor, and I'll have to pull the rear carb to get the distributor cap off.

I knew these cars were small, but I can't believe how much room ain't in these things.

Your truck looks great, and I know that when people look at it they smile.

24. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks. Yeah it looks like a cut right through the welded seam with a thin cut off wheel will let it lay down. We will see when the snow starts to fall again. I'm having too much fun driving it around right now. It's been in the shop to tighten up/grease/inspect/adjust/install new gas tank etc. Drove it around for a few weeks to see what would break or fall off, lol. Need to relocate the battery tonight, give it the once over with the grease gun and adjust the brakes at all four corners. It's been down for about a week and a half now. Can't wait to drive it again.

25. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hey great deal on the fuel tank,alot of older farm tractors have similar shaped tanks ,and the look is great ,nothing worse than looking at a traditional style hotrod and seeing a polished fabricated alloy gas tank that looks like it should be in a billet car.

26. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks. I had one of those plastic race car fuel cells hidden in a box. It was cheap but I hated it and intended to find another tank but it did get me up and running. CaptainScarlet and I were walking the swap meet at Sins of Steel and saw it. I looked over and saw it and said, "oh shit there's my gas tank". It's 13 gallons and I get 12-14 mpg depending how I drive it :).

27. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

You can't be driving it hard enough if your getting 12-14 to the gallon, ha ha

28. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Lol I drive it hard enough. Had a heck of a weekend with it. Friday night the battery took a powder, got a new one Saturday morning at 9am, by 12 a stuck lifter had me sidelined for a few hours. She's all fixed now. Damn what a weekend.

29. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

That dash came out sweet! Are the chrome strips on either side of the ashtray something you came up with or was that a 35/36 option?

Never finished

30. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The chrome strips are Ford pieces. I'm not too clear myself on exactly what year or application. They were on the dash when I got it. The dash I know for sure came out of a 36 sedan. Wether it's early or base model (standard vs deluxe) or just what I really don't know. Maybe someone put an early 35 dash in the car it came out of. Who knows. I actually like it better than the waterfall myself. I don't see this chrome trim very often.