Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical model A opening rear window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 23, 2014.

1. i have seen rumble coupes with roll down rear windows, but have never seen a vented rear window. this accessory opening rear window came in a box of extra stuff with this model A coupe, it appears to have broken and was replaced with the standard window. it is missing the upper hinge and i can't tell what held it open. the unit appears to fit into the opening from the inside and was held in place by the garnish moulding.
    any one ever see one? what holds the window open? are they worth putting in?

Attached Files:

2. 41 C28

41 C28

I've seen one like that, but my buddy hinged his A coupe window from the top. I don't remember if he keep the garnish molding or not.

3. this one appears to be hinged on top, if the label is any indication.

4. i want to give the customer something for it. what's a fair price?

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is he a good customer? Bob

6. yes, it is M.Mc..

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

maybe just the air pressure from a tilted out windshield pushes it open.

8. i think it opens in, but maybe i am wrong.

9. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I was just going off your pictures so your probably right. especially since the way a model a rear window is mounted. its pretty cool though, I would want it.

10. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Any more out there ever seen them?
    For a long time I was looking for a r
    Crank down/roll down rear window.
    If you could design side quarter window crank down...that looked like a factory option ( not street-roddy )
    I'd be interested in seeing some more. Not to hijack your original question, $ no idea how much$$?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. the hinges and part of the frame that holds the glass is missing. that is why he wanted the regular fixed glass and trim back in.
    which is why i think it is pretty cool it can go in and out without modifying the car in any way.

12. I gather coupes didn't have spring-loaded roll-down rear-window blinds like sedans did.

Was the opening rear window intended to allow communicating between the interior passengers and the rumble seat passengers?

13. i believe rumble coupes had roll down windows for that reason.
    this car did have a window blind at one time but all that was left of it were the brackets, so i removed them.

14. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Asked this on another thread, but kinda fits in here too:
    Anybody ever make the rear Quarter Window (side) on model a coupe roll up/down?
    Or after all the engineering, would that just look streetroddish?

15. Put on the Ford Barn!

16. i never did it or seen it done but i think it would be cool.

17. i gave this to bcchopit......i wonder if he ever put it in?

18. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Yes I will....

WACCUSTOMS.COM
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Well?
    Lets see rear window open from O.P. bcchopit.
    THEN:
    Let's tech Model A COUPE roll-down rear/side Quarter windows

20. i think the hard part of making a quarter window open is finding a narrow mechanism. would almost be easier with a power unit.

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437864430.420761.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437864443.005559.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437864478.007047.jpg

I still need to make something to hold the glass in on the top. It was missing the hinges. I don't real feel save with glass swinging on hinges so I think I will try some plexiglass and just take the hole thing out when desired...

22. nice Bill. maybe add a couple more wing bolts and just make it removable and stow it in the back?

BCCHOPIT likes this.
  23. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

That what I meant when I said take the hole thing. Should have been more clear. ( the hole PC of glass)

24. cool, it looks right at home in there. it belongs in that car........but the nice thing is it could be changed back with no damage to the car.

25. @tb33anda3rd never seen one before and definitely not worth putting in. Did you need my address?

I damned sure would put it in if I had it and we should be able to figure out a way to make whatever is needed to hold it open.

26. hah, too late beano. and if any one can make it work it is Bill.

27. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Beaner...
    Two small hinges and new glass is all it needs to work as it was. But having glass sticking out pointing at the back of my neck... No thanks I will just use it with out the hinges and slip the window out on nice days....

Sorry Buddy this one is mine... :)

I will keep this thread posted as I make more progress.
    I need to get a new seal. It looks as if it's the same as the stock glass...
    It's cast alum. So it might look good polished up.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  28. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438004492.667210.jpg
    My kid liked the nice air flow so much he could sleep with a open header banger under his seat

-Brent- and tb33anda3rd like this.
  29. LOL it would be a ways from my head in the sedan. Nice little window.

Looks like you got it worked out. Cool :cool: