Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drivinford, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Drivinford

Drivinford

2. Drivinford

Drivinford

3. jackalope

jackalope

That stance is PERFECTO! I'm not trying to be a dick, but I plan to steel a lot of your ideas here! Not all, but some.
    Good stuff brother!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Drivinford likes this.
  4. AHotRod

AHotRod

What is the distance from the floor to the bottom of the frame rail at the door?

5. Drivinford

Drivinford

The body is not sectioned over the frame, the frame is sectioned! Thanks a lot for the kind words, copy this thing all you want man!!

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Let me rephrase my question: what is the ground clearance?

7. Would like to know more about the steering box you are using and how you stretched the sector shaft.

Like what you are doing.

8. 1951Biff

1951Biff

Very nice work! Thanks so much for sharing your build with us!

9. Drivinford

Drivinford

Thanks alot, car sits about 3 inches off the ground by the cowl door area

10. Drivinford

Drivinford

Finishing metal work on the motor mounts IMG_20161218_120034.jpg

Stogy, tb33anda3rd, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  11. Drivinford

Drivinford

Buidling a different set of headers for the model a IMG_20161219_235844.jpg

chop job and Stogy like this.
  12. Drivinford

Drivinford

Finishing the metal work on the IMG_20161229_212732_295.jpg windows

13. Looks great. I wish i had half the metal working skill you do !

Drivinford likes this.
  14. A Boner

A Boner

Wow...cool HOT ROD! A good combination...a craftsman with a artistic eye.

Drivinford likes this.
  15. Drivinford

Drivinford

16. Drivinford

Drivinford

Took it all apart for the last time before she's on the road! Busy couple of weeks ahead doing all the little things and buttoning up IMG_20161231_165520_149.jpg IMG_20170102_204240_806.jpg

17. Drivinford

Drivinford

Details on the chassis IMG_20170104_111432_476.jpg

'52 F-3, Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  18. Drivinford

Drivinford

Chassis work!

Attached Files:

19. Drivinford

Drivinford

20. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Drivinford

Drivinford

22. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Its an interesting build. Don't take this wrong, but it is a different style which I'm not sure what to call it. @ jackalope is doing a similar build. At first glance it looks like a R rod but the craftsman and talent by both of you, make it so much more. I wonder if this style is new or a nod to something in the past ??
    Also, in some of the other pics, it looks like the intake wasn't level, I'm I missing something or is that ok. No offense intended.

23. Drivinford

Drivinford

Thanks! I don't see anything that says R rod, because r rod means scrap parts rust, chicken wire, and pieces put together from scrap.... As far as the intake goes, it's not level, but that's how I wanted it, is this going to cause an issue, if so please explain? Thanks again!

24. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I guess the sooo low stance sort of gives it the R look. I agree, as I said, the quality of the build takes it out of that category. I think it's a very creative project and you've executed your "vision" beautifully. I especially like the engine mounts, very talented dude !
    I'm far from an expert, but I've always set up my intake mounting level. That's what I believe is correct, not for style but function. The bowls of the carbs will be tilted and the gas won't be level in the bowl so it won't be flowing through the float valve properly. Tilted toward the valve, it could flood or back could be a leaner mix. The flow of fuel won't be consistent.
    This my understanding of it, I my be completely wrong, wouldn't be the first time!. Hopefully someone better informed can correct be if I am. Looking forward to more progress, great job

oj likes this.
  25. jackalope

jackalope

The skill level in this build is second to none. I love this car and have borrowed many of your details. I wish I could borrow the skill too
    As for the RR comment that popped up early on in the build, I totally agree with your comments above. I see a "conventional" RR as more of scrap metal and a safety hazard. My buddy Ty has built several badass old rods and has referred to them as the R word but there is nothing about them that says that! Traditional cool cars.
    What you have put together is a badass, clean, and beautiful example of a kickass hot rod of your own choosing.
    I'm reluctant to even tell the HAMB what motor will be going in mine! Trust me, it ain't no rat trap but it certainly ain't what you would see in a 50's/60's hot rod!
    Screw everyone though!
    Keep up the great work and pics as others have stated!

Dino64 likes this.
  26. I have notice that the poor quality ratrod are slowly going by the wayside, even on sites like ratrodrules the cars and trucks are getting better every year.

Most of the one I see being built lately are first class this one included. The workmanship on this one is above average, and shows the skill of the builder (drivinford).

In my opinion there need to be a new description for them, I am also building one (long time project "dagels-1929-model-a-sdn") it is not a ratrod but I would say there not traditional either. I find it hard to describe what it is that draws me to this style you tell some one its traditional and they tell you its a Rat, tell them it is a Rat you told it is a traditional.

All I know is they can cost$$$$$$$$$ more in time and labor then just about anything else out there and they are a pain to get them to look right low and mean but when they are done right like drivinford I believe they will be here for a long time.

again very nice build
    Dan
    DBA Dagel's Repair

Dino64 and jackalope like this.
  27. Drivinford

Drivinford

Thanks a lot guys, some will say rhat rod and some wont, at the end of the day I call it a hot rod, but that's just me, the world is full of hate!!!!
    Anyway here's a simple shifter mount I finished up today for the A IMG_20170111_133541_035.jpg

Cali4niaCruiser and jackalope like this.
  28. Drivinford

Drivinford

It's a track master steering box! They come set up like that

29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well that's one way to get the fan in the middle of the radiator, LOL! Just kidding man, I dig it. Really bitchin build, your creativity is outstanding, as are your metal working skills. Thanks for sharing.

30. Drivinford

Drivinford

Lol thanks man, it's a fun build, learning alot!!

Blues4U likes this.