Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects (Update)Av8 coupster on a budget.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swiss50chevy, May 27, 2015.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think it would part out where I am for more than $1200 certainly, particularly selling smalls and shippable parts on eBay. That said, if it's listed for $1200, I bet you could get it for $800 on the low side but certainly for $1000 I'd say. It does not look like it was ever a finished car to me. This looks like an abandoned project in mock-up, or a collection of spares put together for sale to make room or fund another build.

But it all depends what you want to do with it and what you need out of it really. If you were looking to build a neat little hot rod dirt racer style car, I'd say go for it. If your dream is for a nice, high polish, finished rod, this may not be the best starting project foundation. I don't know what the availability is like where you are but if you're asking about this pile, I'd imagine you're having a little trouble finding a minty-cheap project car.

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

FYI, there's a better car for $4500 near Tulsa on CL:
    "1930 model a 5 window coupe ford - $4500 (Beggs) - has 4 inch drop front axle with 1940 hubs, comes with 9in. rear end. good straight frame. if no answer, make sure you leave your phone # clearly. will return all calls. good sold body or best offer"

I assume they mean, "solid" body. Looks like a stock Model A with a collection of parts.

00q0q_16chssosdiu_600x450.jpg

I also saw a T touring cowl with what looked to be a good subframe on it for like, $175.

3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Saw it on Craigslist and it is a bunch of junk put together . Over priced and very little few useful parts. Better deals out there.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Haven't you guys watched the reality car shows ? They pay $7500 for an A coupe with no doors ! ;):D:D

Don

mike bowling and patmanta like this.
  5. Roger53

Roger53

Well for the good old state of maine it'd been a pretty good price .Roger

badgascoupe and patmanta like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing about it, everyone's concept of the value of a stack of Model A parts with a few V8 parts thown in the mix is miles apart from low to high.

I'd have to ask myself how much of this can I use in a build, how much can I sell and recover something and how much will end up in the scrap pile. I'd think the pieces that a guy would actually use wouldn't be that many. A guy might be better off spending 1200 to collect pieces one at a time to build a car and not pay for what he wasn't going to use.

primeisnotacrime and Model T1 like this.
  7. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Well i got him down to $950. So guess I am gonna buy it!

AndersF and patmanta like this.
  8. Older heads on a newer block.

9. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think that's a good deal. That engine looks like it was built up at some point and it's clean enough to have hopes of getting un-stuck. Looks like it was stored buttoned up at least and it's already got the head bolts replaced with studs.

The quad water pump thing really has my interest up, if you go through with it, please update us on the teardown!

10. F&J

F&J

Did you notice how low the car sits in the front with the spring-ahead front end, without a dropped axle?
    Reminds me of an old build that way.

But, there is the issue of trying to get a radiator mounted in a place that it will look OK. What are the Model A guys doing with the radiator with that front end?

11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That's on account of there being NO SPRING in that there ahead ;)

But it looks like a flat bar crossmember, so it would sit pretty low with a spring ahead. Be easy to get an East Coast Style build going on this car with what's there.

[​IMG]

12. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

I am curious about the motor, I will post more pictures this weekend. Plan on picking it up on sunday.

patmanta likes this.
  13. fuzzface

fuzzface

Have fun with your new toy!
    I think you did fine on the price from what I could see in the pictures.

14. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Awesome!

I'd get that thing running and sprung and build that body with what it's got! At least for the first pass. I think it's cool even with just the sheetmetal doors and trunk. I think it'd be a hoot of a dirt track hero almost as it sits.

15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

It's worth $950, good buy.

16. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433118057.810278.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433118068.445515.jpg
    [ ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433118113.164710.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433118123.650732.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433118132.601110.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433118140.017164.jpg ATTACH=full]2919283[/ATTACH]

Got it home.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk, Model T1 and patmanta like this.
  17. F&J

F&J

Looks better already :)

wifey still talking to you?

he,he

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. mike bowling

mike bowling

Aluminum intake is correct for that motor ( any name?) and top water pumps too. Bottoms should just be outlets and an "ear" which is the motor mount. Congrats on the new "baby"- have fun with the build.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  19. missysdad1

missysdad1

So...now that you've got it whatcha' gonna' do with it? What's the plan, man?

20. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Not sure yet. Ive been looking at some coupster builds.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You got it cheaply enough. If it were me I'd be looking for a roof and putting it on to go back to a coupe.
    A coupes are cool , coupsters are not so cool.

22. Just got here, didn't read every entry but what I see tells me
    the car was going to be a solid body that you jumped into.
    The sheet on the trunk looks riveted, the non-door doors also.
    Even looks like solid sheet inside the door.
    Nobody was going to use a door or a trunk in this car!
    The car tells me, "keep me light, low no top, drill holes in the
    floor to let the water out." Remember the real old days it was run
    what ya brung, don't worry about what the guy driving his father's Plymouth
    thought, you got a hot rod!
    Just my observance and $.02

23. F&J

F&J

So, your word is gospel... A H

24. indyjps

indyjps

I'd suggest tube framed doors and trunk lid, skinned the best you can manage, add some kind of rolled transition to what used to be the top. Paint it with some light colored cheap enamel, then scotchbrite it down to dull it and thru in a few places. Go with the flow on this one and have fun.

25. mike bowling

mike bowling

54 posts and nobody told him to buy the Vern Tardel book???? Wow, things are improving!! It's a HOT ROD , and it's YOUR hot rod- build it the way YOU want it with whatever you can get your hands on ( legally if possible, if not wing it).( don't get caught).As said many moons ago " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"- sounds a little "flowery", but ya know what I mean. Kick my dog and run off with my wife ( please) , but DON'T tell me my car's not cool!

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. missysdad1

missysdad1

I may be a little biased because I already own one, but I think making a coupester is what I'd do with yours as well. It's a natural, and besides, coupesters don't have to be super-detailed to be fun!

mike bowling likes this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I don't care if it is or isn't, I would still be looking for a good coupe roof.

28. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

For the time being, i am just going to collect parts. But i am on a budget, so keeping it a roadster will probably be the game plan.

29. A lot of guys still think it's 1975. I've sold worse for more money.

I'm sure it would part out for $1200 no problem, the engine, frame, quarters alone should bring $1000 or better. And title is of zero importance in my state.

patmanta likes this.
  30. flamingokid

flamingokid

I have a soft spot for piles of parts that need love,so I would say offer the guy 700.00 and if he comes back within a few hundred of that,go with it.

volvobrynk likes this.