Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modal a oval speedo to newer tran. ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dana barlow, Aug 1, 2014.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Here a small tech;
    I did a search ,so nothing,,,
    Has anyone done this,make a 1928/9 oval speedo work with a newer tranny {1957 _ 3 speed]
    Worked on this off an on for two weeks;;What I tryed so far; Speedo works in my hand on the workbench when I spin it with concreat nail in my fingers,it turns to read anything counter-clockwise,reads nothing turning clockwise. I put two drive cables together by using the tranny end of my 1957 cable an housing,added to the top speedo end for the Modal A,cable is brazzed together an is strait,housings are linked together by a reinforced rubber hose and clamps comepleating the housing so cable is in the place/size to it's ends as before any mods. Hooked it all up and drove around the block=no reading at all at any time at all !. Could the 1957 Ford tranny be turning cable the wrong way for the 1928 Ford modal A speedo? If that is the prob,tommrow I'm going to try backing up to see if It reads anything? If it reads backing up only that way 1;what the hell can be done to make it work the right way? I've never seen adoptor for this werid stuff?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. Yes, you can get an adapter to reverse direction. Most speedo units do turn counter clockwise.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. 59 brook

59 brook

ft laud speedometer off st rd 84 near lesters diner

dana barlow likes this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Update,things I found out; The cable dose turn the right way{ but was not ingaging the speedo drive inside speedo] This I fixed with a spacer washer about 1/4in. thick. I guess there are def tips on cable for modal A years and my cables didn't match years or some thing even though housing did.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Bad day,I was putting this back together ,it was jacked up and I'm under anyway so I thought I'd adjustand the brakelight switch to go off better,its been sticking on some times=armtype switch,so let off adjust screw a little and go to push on arm to adjust=hole thing falls apart and I have to order a new one CRAP! Then the 1928 screw nut/whatever its called on speedo end of housing broke in two just with fingers as I'm hooking that back up,,must of been cracked,nerl top broke off threaded base but threaded base is in and looks to be holding cable in place? can't test RAINING again{really water] so had to stop.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  6. Man Dana,when it rains it pours. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  7. Rain,huh? We're in stage 2 drought condition. Illegal to wash your car.

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

HA Ha, if ya come by Miami Fla. bring swim fins,or buy me a twin car garage,an keep baling.
    ,I'll try to send some rain your way,I don't need this much.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

New arm type brakeswitch got here,so started to replace that,its just a lot fun when it don't fit,redesign all new bracket+this time designed in adjustment screw for new bracket,still didn'r work as at some point I must of pulled to hard on power wire to switch, had to replace that,BUT bingo brakelights works again. Back to playing with the speed-o,seems to all work by hand now,next is to put cable back into tranny then test! When my son comes over,so we can run GPS speed an compair to riding if there is any{yes its raining again.

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

photo 4.JPG Well,the sky cleared for long enought to run around our long block,were I could hold 40mph on the old Oval "A" speedo,by GPS reading we were doing 42mph=that is close enough,even closer then I had hoped fore,SUPER as is.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    33sporttruck and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  11. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Dana, All this rain is a bunch of BS !!! Has rained here at least 8 out of the last 10 days. Yesterday was supposed to be rain free and we had 3.64 inches in about an hour. Ground is so wet that it does not drain well and part of my yard looks like a small lake. North Carolina Coast this year is very wet !!! Glad you got the brake lights back and the speedo working.......................... Jeff

dana barlow likes this.