Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

Miss Serendipity

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Third DodgeBrother, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother Member

I don't usually do build logs until I'm done, because my builds have a tendancy to wander off into left field and fade away. Counting on you guys to keep me straight, and help through the rough spots. A kick in the rear, or a pat on the head as needed.

Where I'm at:

Got the stone axe [300 Ford six] unloaded and undressed

Shaved the brackets on the S10 posi rear

Ordered a stick of 1 1/2" x 3" x 3/16" tube. Steel yard looking for 6" pipe drops for driveshaft loops and gonad guard.

Axle, spindles, split wishbones: due Weds, spring shipped.

Tin seat, fuel cell, and vega steering box ready

NHRA rulebook on order

Pictures to follow
  2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. HA/GR owners group

Cool, another one under way. :cool:

Don't forget to send me some specifics and a picture when you're ready, so I can add yours to the photo & info thread.
    Yes, parts piles & intentions do qualify for the thread. :D
  3. Old28

Old28 Member

Glad to see that we have another SDRA car being built. As I have said many time on my thread, I do pictures better than writing ;) so the more the better. Are you going to run a C-4, C-6 or a glide for a trans?

One of the group in the Pacific Northwest cars is running a 300 Ford. If I recall he was running 11.50 - 11.75 with pie cut nostalgia slicks. Would love to see what it would run on 6" street tires.

Remember "Pictures, Pictures, Pictures" :):):)
  4. Third DodgeBrother

Pictures as promised

Attached Files:

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Old28

Old28 Member

Looks like a good start on parts. I like those mid 30's wide five spindles and wheel. :)

Are you going to modify that intake and run 6 one barrels?:D

Keep us all in the loop as we love to see a build move forward.
  6. Third DodgeBrother

I thought I was going to run a C6, unfortunately I couldn't tell the difference between C6 and E4OD. I can now! I'll have to see how the guys in Tulsa feel about stand-alone tranny-control computers.

I'd love to go with stacked fuel injection on this motor, but ... that isn't quite within the rules either. Seems like a natural spot for a homemade box plenum type manifold. I've got a pair of Holly/Weber progressive two barrels that might be legal. I'm not sure what four barrel I could use.

The wheel is swap meet '39, on a modern JFZ wide five hub, borrowed for mock up from Miss Enid (my avatar). I've been looking forever for the adapter snouts to Ford spindles, without any luck. Plan B is empty Ford wide five hubs and drums, like Marty Strode used.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  7. ThingyM

ThingyM Member

I got a set of those..
  8. CrkInsp

CrkInsp Member

DodgeBrother, Wish I could say you could run that trany, BUT sorry, no computors.
    Yes, you can run those carbs. Most any 4bbl. carb is ok. I think a vac. sec. carb has a lot of advantages in launching the car to prevent wheel spin. Thanks for asking your questions as they help other people wanting to build these cars.
  9. Third DodgeBrother

ThingyM : PM sent.

Plan C is repop Ford hubs with space saver spares!

Anyone need an E4OD?
  10. Third DodgeBrother

Axle arrived. Stone axe on dolly. Off to Goodguys Lonestar. Hopefully will be able to steal some ideas, and score some swap meet treasure.

Attached Files:

11. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

Run a 1972-78 C4 that was behind a 302, or 351W, the C4 eats less HP than a C6, or E4OD
  12. Third DodgeBrother

The Seven Point Frame Program

-Get stick of 1 1/2" x 3" x 3/16" tube ($74.00) Check
    -Cut in half Check
    -Add cross members
    -Cage mock-up, order hoops
    -Weld hoops
    -Fab and install brackets
    -Leave on the last yellow

The Acme gas rail kit

Attached Files:

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The tubing looks good sitting on the roll cage like that.:p
  14. Third DodgeBrother

Amen, brother. Do you ever get tempted, to section out the center third of your bucket, and just forget all about tinwork?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  15. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby Member

How old are you? The first two Dodge Brothers both died in 1920. We have a 27 Dodge coupe sitting in my friends shop, with a 53 Chrysler hemi in it. the owner died last summer. It is for sale by his wife, I think it is or was on Craigs list (Tulsa). We hope that you will race with us in Tulsa.

If I had your E-Mail, I could send pictures. not trying to sell, just thought that you might like to see them. Joe
  16. Third DodgeBrother

I'm 61. I only feel old enough to have died in 1920! I plan on racing in Tulsa, but then, at my age, I'm too old to plan buying green bananas!
  17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Kids! I'll be 66 in April. You are only old if you make your mind up to be old. I may be growing older, but I damn well refuse to grow UP! Keep at the build, it will help keep you young.:D
  18. ThingyM

ThingyM Member

Sh--t You guys are still kiddies,, I'll be 77 in a few months. But 47 at heart..Still thinking as to what I should put in my chassis for an engine,, But it will be SDRA allowed engine and trans..
  19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, I still have a hard time keeping the snot wiped off my nose. :p

Thingy, I'm glad you're keeping the car. The SDRA guys out here can use another racer, and you're a good one. I'm looking forward to lining up with you again.

3DB, your parts pile's looking like it might just become a car. :cool:

Gentlemen (and you too, Thingy :D), every HAMBster built (whether HA/GR or SDRA) helps both classes. :cool:
  20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have the right attitude Dick, Peter Pan is a good role model. Find the engine and trans you want and get back at it. Racing keeps us young!
  21. bobw

bobw Member

Nice to see the young guys getting interested in these cars. You're off to a good start.

Keep the pics coming, eh?
  22. Third DodgeBrother

Picked up a C4, which turned out to be a C5(E2)! WTF! Chilton and HPbooks and Haynes don't agree on terminology, so why should we. C5 is supposed to have stronger case and better oiling.. But it also has lock-up converter. One rebuilder's slogan is "C5 tough with C4 stuff!"

Goodguys Lonestar was a disappointment! Nothing of interest in the swap meet, and not much in the show area. Numbers: Last year 300+ pictures, this year 61, and most of them cars I had seen before. I guess I'm just not much interested in stuff "circa me" (1966+). I don't think I'll attend another GG, UNLESS Miss Enid gets ready for a run through the cones.

C4/C5 vs C6/E4OD

Attached Files:

23. Old28

Old28 Member

Your collecting parts a rocket speed, you will have this baby running in no time. In a few years you won't see anything but "Rice Burners" at a GG show and the old cars will be early 2000 model.

We love pictures!!!!!
  24. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

It looks like you have a C4 (the dipstick tube goes into the trans case), while the dipstick tube on a C5 screws into the side of the oil pan.
  25. ThingyM

ThingyM Member

You are correct Kenneth,, I run a C4 in my altered. Art Carr says it's good for 1000 hp. And I believe it..God only knows how many runs on it, No breakage...
  26. Third DodgeBrother

Yes you're right: It doesn't have the pan-fill dipstick tube, so it is not the '75 built C5 with C5 casting number.

No you're wrong: It has the E2 casting number, which makes it the C5 of '82 through '86.

I've seen horsepower ratings from 450 to 1000: I don't anticipate any problems, with this motor, at least, without turbo and nitrous!

On the Tulsa spec tire: What is the Coker part number? What is the height of an L78-15 mounted on six inch rim?
  27. Old28

Old28 Member

There is no spec tire in the SDRA Tulsa Rules. You can run the Coker L78 Bias tire that is 29" high on 6"rim or you can run a radial tire that has a 6" wide tread, I am going to run Cooper 235R-15 radials that are 28 1/2" high. I think you will find the Coker L-78 are about $100 more than a good radial that should hook better. Its your choice as long as they are 6" wide. Only HA/GR cars have to run a bias tire and most are Coker L-78.
    No cheater slicks.
  28. bobw

bobw Member

I use G78-15 bias tires that have a 6" wide tread. They came off a restored Chevy truck that the guy was upgrading. Point is, there's some options regarding tires.
  29. Third DodgeBrother

Honest, I wasn't trying to restart the tire debate, just looking for a measurement for mock-up. Actually, running out of Texarkana, I'd deserve to be shot, if I ran anything other than Cooper!
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  30. Old28

Old28 Member

Third DodgeBrother --We new you were just asking but some times we give to much information. Some call it rattling on.:D