Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miller Syncrowave 200 TIG...good, bad, ugly?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CharlieLed, May 20, 2008.

1. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I just bought a new 200. I looked at used, and the price of new was not that much more. I just finished the cart for it and will be picking up my bottle tonight. Can't wait !

2. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

can you show me your cart? i am thinking of building my own to save a little

3. I have a 180SD that I have yet to have an issue with needing more out of it doing chassis and sheetmetal work. I am currently only running it on 30 amps so I have to pace myself on heavier stuff or it will blow a breaker but realistically with an air cooled torch I need to let the torch cool down as well or it gets pretty hot to handle so it seems to work out ok.

4. I got a Syncrowave 200 , the thing is tits. You can weld every thing but the crack of dawn with it. I got it through Cyborweld they have the best deal around.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  5. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Got a 200 at home and one at the shop. Awesome to work with love how light the cable and torch is compared to a water cooled 250. Great for sheetmetal and exhaust and some frame fab here and there. Unless you are doing a bunch of 1/2" aluminum you will prolly never need a water cooled torch.

Since everyone has one i will hijack a little.....ever have problems starting an arc? Sometimes its like the hi freq isn't working and then it will run fine for woeeks or months and then act up again. Is it just me?

6. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

great machine....

7. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

I do believe that a 200 max is really 250.I have a older 300 syncrowave that can be wired single or three phase.I am pretty shure that the 200 can be wired either was as well.
    I had my unit at home first with a 70 amp breaker and never had a issue,but i do have to say i have a power factor in my machine.Basicly it is a bunch of capacitors that help durring surge or high demand times.Miller may offer it for your 200 ,ask your dealer about it.I definitly saw a huge difference in my electric bill as compared to my 300 lincon.Tig runner is a GREAT machine.Wait untill you see all the new friends you aquire haha.

8. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Here is my cart. A little thought went into it. I wanted a shelf for my Miller Spectrum 375 plasma cutter, that would plug into a common 220V cord. A longer cord, 20', was then added. I wanted a top surface to set crap. My Miller 210 TIG ends up as a shelf, and I hate that. Since the welder was so wide, I made it capable of holding two bottles. I probably will put my spare MIG bottle there or bunch of 2 inch PVC to hold welding rod. I wanted the cabling accessible on the front, rather than the side as it is normally. It was constructed out of a 1/4" x 2" angle iron as a base and 1/4" plate for the base of the tanks. I painted it with epoxy paint to last my lifetime. Like everything I build, it's overkill :)

Attached Files:

9. mark phoenix

mark phoenix
    Alliance Vendor
    from wisconsin

great machine and by the way nice cart

10. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

damn thats pretty nice thanks for the pics

11. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 180, and love it. We did put a bigger torch on it, to keep the heat down. Very good equipment for the money.

12. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I have a 180 also and I agree with most here. It is a great machine.
    my complaints I wish I had a water cooled torch and wish it had the tack feature to save the gas while tacking.

13. NWRacing

NWRacing

I have the 180 also I have loved it from day one, I pretty much learned to TIG on it I would be lost with out it!:cool:

14. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

i have a lead on a 180 with bottle and some extra cups and and stuff for the torch for $1200 is that a deal? only a 1 and a half old would i be able to weld like air bag mount and four link bars with this or is it not big enough

15. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 180 that I purchased on line from Cyberweld back in '04. I have used it to build two cars including the chassis' and have not had one problem with it.

16. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

This thread has a sell by date of 2003, the machine is now surpassed by 3 newer models. Can a thread of this age be closed? Is it still of use and benefit to the community? Something is fishy with this dead thread revival stuff.

17. I had no problem welding the chassis on my build with my 180 and as mentioned I was only running it on a 30 Amp breaker. I took it slow but it worked fine.

18. Not sure where you got the 2003 date but there is no reason to close old threads when new information can be added to them as needed. Someone had a related question and rather than start a new thread he actually did a search and added to this one.:rolleyes:

19. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Great welder.

I only wish mine was water cooled. No complaints at all with the welder.

20. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Sorry 2008, 3 years ago, not a record. There seems to be a lot of old threads getting revised like the UPS one from 5 years ago.:rolleyes: If you did a search and came along a 3 to 5 year old thread in the search would you add to it? Or answer it?:p Seems weird to answer it and pop it to the top again after 3 to 5 years, especially one of these would ya or what do you think threads. If he has'nt bought it by now he may never.:D

21. The guy that brought this back up to the top actually asked about buying a new Tig and wondered if the one originally mentioned would work for his needs.Seems logical to add to it to me.

Old threads are a double edged sword if you start a new thread on a topic that has been covered before you get your ass handed to you for not searching and now we have guys complaining that people are not starting new threads rather than add to old ones....Can't win for trying:confused:

22. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

K13 you're right, sorry to you, this one still has legs. It is a double edge sword. If he was going to buy a new TIG he should buy the next series of Miller, the 220 or better, has a better pulse setting. A used 200 will work great. He could get a great deal on a used in this economy.

23. We have one at the shop and it works great if anyone wants to know!

24. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

hey guy i did a search and decided to ask the guy who started this thread a simple question and the other guys came on to answer and throw a helping hand. your the only one pissing about it. why not start a new thread crying about or better yet do a search and then add to that. and for your information i went ahead and bought the 180 used but it was like brand new condition today for $1,200 and the guy threw in two electric Cushman chariots a Milwaukee heavy-duty chop saw for metal with a dry cut metal blade on it and a like new jack, not the china junk from HF for a extra 200 bucks. so i'm gonna keep one Cushman and sell the other to make some of my money back. i figure if i ever need to jump to a bigger one i'll just save up and buy one of those unless you want to pay-pal me the difference and i will sell this one for what i paid for it and buy what ever one you want to help pay for so this thread can die off.

thanks again guys for the help. now i need to get out there tomorrow and start practicing