Register now to get rid of these ads!

MIG contact tip recess

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonMoldy, Jun 17, 2008.

1. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I did a search on here and google and on the Lincoln,Miller ESab websites so don't get all bent out of shape if this is a repeated question.

I have a Lincoln MIG 110 welder I run the argon mix and want to weld mild steel.
    My question is about contact tip recessing.
    I screw in the contact tip as far into the gun as it will gun but when I tighten up the gas nozzle until it stops and the contact tip seems to stick out too far.

Is this ok?
    Can I loosen up the gas nozzle to adjust how much tip should be exposed or should it be tighten as far as it will go and just use it as is?

2. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

you should be fine, dont unscrew the nozzle...

the tip doesnt actually make contact when you weld, its the wires job to do that..

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The contact tip should be inside the nozzle about 1/8" or so.

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I was told to always leave the tip of the welder about 1/8 to 1/4" inside the nozzle. My SnapOn Mig had a bunch of Orings between the nozzle, and the insulator that screws to the gun. Therefore it is adjustable. Is yours?
    BTW, as the tip gets beat up, you can sand/grind it down to last longer!

5. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

^ I leave my contact tip 1/8" inside the nozzle. I have a plastic spacer on the bottom side of the nozzle to keep it there at all times.

6. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I usually clean off the tip and put some gel on it and the nozzle. My machine didn't have any washers or anything to adjust the nozzle.
    When I tighten up the contact tip all the way and screw the nozzle till it stops I still have tip sticking out. Should I try some washer or something and see if it welds better?

7. The tip should not stick out from the nozzle.

The tip can be even with the tip of the nozzle or recessed in the nozzle about 1/8 from the tip of the nozzle.

If you stick the tip into the weld puddle, you can burn up the machine.

If you allow enough spatter to build up in the nozzle to where it touches the tip & the nozzle at the same time, you will short out the machine.

If your not welding at more than 26volts, then the mig welding your doing is a 'short circut' process. You want that short circut happening when the wire touches the weldment.......you do not want any other short circut happening during the welding process.

Carl Hagan

8. Buy yourself a shorter tip or a longer nozzle. Either or will work. You can always grind down the nozzle tip too to shorten the distance between the nozzle and the tip if need be.

Carl Hagan

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Your right Carl.
    Sorry dyslexic today..
    I changed it to not be confusing.

10. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Ok guys
    I guess the nozzle included with the welder is too short.
    thanks a lot for the help. I seriously searched Miller ESAB and Lincoln sites and found nothing.

11. Lucky77

Lucky77

The Miller machines we used at school have the tips sticking out .125" from the gas cup when they're screwed on. My Hobart is the same way. Push the cup on the gun and the tip just barely sticks out.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When the tip sticks out beyond the nozzle its more prone to shorting out against the work and is exposed to more spatter buildup. See if the welding supply has a shorter tip, I've seen them in varying lenghts. If not check to see if you've got the correct nozzle.

Frank

13. raaf

raaf

what everyone else said re: fusing to your work, plus i've got to figure that it would mess with the gas shielding a bit too.

14. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

I have always cut my tip off at the end.Then I dress it with a tip cleaner the kind you use for a cutting torch.I used the same tip 5 days for 4 years.When someone(The Boss) would use it on the weekends he would always change it out.He said it look to short .The new tip would always get too hot and seize.I would put the old tip back in it.It would work great.The funny thing is he started thinking he couldn't weld.:D

15. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

the reason the nozzle is supposed to stick out farther is for shielding of the weld, as stated before you want the contact tip about 1/8" behind the nozzle and make sure the tip is always clean

16. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Gas nozzles come in differant lengths. 1/8 to 1/4 in. Use your nozzle jelly sparingly, as it will melt off and contaminate your welding pool if to much is used. I usually don't use it til it acts up. Then dip it in hot, and shake off the residue.

17. mailwagonman

mailwagonman

Just slide your nozzle down so it is about flush with your tip. Most of the nozzles you buy at a "store" are designed with flux cored wire in mind. Make adjustments as necessary from screw the nozzle out some or push it out some. It won't move unless you beat it up trying to get the splatter off it...crisco makes a really good nozzle gel...oly dip it in when the nozzle is hot and hit the trigger to blow out any excess.

JR