Register now to get rid of these ads!

Melting point of Teflon Tape.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie G, Jun 12, 2006.

1. What temperature does teflon tape melt at?
    Customer got a sbc hot enough to melt the teflon tape on the temperature sending unit. Let it get three quarts low on oil....and wants the warranty honored because now he hears a rod knock.:mad:
    Nevermind that I installed a temperature gage and an oil pressure gage when we put the engine in.

This is what I get for trying to expand the business.

2. Cword

Cword

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]High melting points (327°C [621°F] for Teflon PTFE; 260°C [500°F] for Teflon FEP, and 305°C [582°F] for Teflon PFA)[/FONT]

3. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Good luck on the warranty. Some people shouldn't have hot rods...

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Gauges are only useful for the person who looks at them.
    IDIOT lights are properly named and more reliable...when viewed by idiots.

Did you know you can buy little temp sensing tags to attach to the block that will fall off if the engine is overheated? All the big yards and rebuilders use them up here.
    No tag...no warranty...no arguments.

3 quarts...thats low. How long did he drive it before the knock (D'oh!) made him check the oil? That engine will likely need EVERYTHING gone thru and all new parts due to metal grindings and galling...no wonder your pissed!

What do you explain to the customers regarding break in procedures?

Maybe you should offer a free 500 mile oil change so you can monitor oil consumption and other potential issues like plugged oil filters etc.
    the minor cost to you might save you a fortune in potential rebuild costs and would give you a great name with the simpletons...I mean customers!

Some people are 100% clueless as I'm sure you've noticed!!!

5. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

If he let it get three quarts low, I would think that would void the warranty?
    You as the driver have a responsibilty to maintain the vehicle to keep the warranty "active".
    Try taking a new car in that is three quarts low and see if they will honor the warranty!

6. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

he just needs a good solid smack in the head while calling him a dumbass Red from that 70's show style....

then turn him around and tell him to go buy a motor from someone else, tell him he has a damn good core.

7. Slonaker

Slonaker

Why is an engine that you installed for a customer losing 3 quarts of oil? Was it sold to him as an oil leaking/burning engine?

Slonaker

8. 47bob

47bob

If 3 quarts low was by your observation or his own admission help him push it into the street on his way home.

9. All I can assume is that he did not follow break in instructions and the rings still haven't sealed.
    There may be a front main seal leak.
    He was told to bring it back "In a few days" to check everything out.
    That was three weeks ago.
    I am in the middle of writing up written break in instructions(To be signed) in addition to all the cautions in the warranty for future installs (Assuming I'm dumb enough to do another one).
    He was told how to drive it to break it in.
    He was told to bring it back if he noticed "ANY" leaks.
    He was told it may burn some oil.
    He called his Grandfather out to the driveway to listen to it when the lifters started rattling. HIs Grandfather is more PO'd at him than me which makes me feel a little better.

10. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

He didn't follow the directions given to him. His lack of resposibility makes it his problem. I've had customers at my computer store not follow directions given to them, and I don't budge an inch when they bring their computer back and they get re-charged for the same thing they brought it in for the first time.

My mechanic friend I'm working part-time for does the same thing, I've watched him do it just last week on an A/C job.

"Did you do any of what I told you to do?"

"No."

"Consider any warranty null and void. This was your screwup, not mine, and I'm not paying for your inability to do what you're told."

Charge his stupid ass, he deserves it.