Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Meltdown drags 2016

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Jul 15, 2016.

1. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you so much for the pictures. I too am very sad to see it end.

Moriarity likes this.
  2. I was 7000 miles away, so I couldn't quite make the trip! Thanks for posting, looks like it was the best ever.

Moriarity likes this.
  3. AmishMike

AmishMike

great pictures; thanks for posting. Nice black willy's but what are the 2 "eyebrows" on the trunk???

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think that is just a reflection of the back window

AmishMike likes this.
  5. AmishMike

AmishMike

Is that just a crazy reflection of some kind on the trunk - confusing the hell out of me - but love the car & much thanks for posting all the pictures - got to plan a trip for next year....

Moriarity likes this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this 55 was beautiful...and they were not afraid to drive it like they didn't have a nickel in it!!!!

PONTNAK123, oldsjoe and 41 coupe like this.
  7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Local car from my area, it's also on the street at many cruise nights.
    Beautiful,highly detailed car ,owner built.

oldsjoe and Moriarity like this.
  8. rooman

rooman

Dave's 55 is killer and as noted he drives it on the street as well as beating on it at the track. He painted it himself and also did the paint on Bob Buckley's Rock and Roll Express dragster that set low e.t. and top speed at the Meltdowns.

Roo

oldsjoe and Moriarity like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I recall seeing a magazine feature on this 55 a couple of years ago, very nicely done.

Moriarity likes this.
  10. rooman

rooman

It has been in both Hot Rod and (dare I say it here) Street Rodder.

Roo

11. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it is just a crazy reflection. Ron Norman did an outstanding job on restoring this car.

Moriarity likes this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

John Clark from Wichita, this nova really runs hard and consistent, he really makes it look easy!!!

54delray, 30dodgeboy and Model A John like this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you don't see many 58 chev drag cars. This one ran pretty hard and was a real time capsule right down to the spray on vinyl top!!! remember those?

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

I've got to agree with Larry- this certainly is much better than a " Did you wear Chinos or Dungarees in High School" thread.
    THANKYOU!!
    What a great collection of Detroit Iron ( and something for everyone).
    I need an "app" for my desktop that spews out " Essence de Burnt Rubber"!!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    enloe, oldsjoe and Moriarity like this.
  15. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Hey, thanks for posting these pictures, Mark! The Meltdown Drags is the best thing that's ever happened to drag racing. We've raced there the last 4 years now, and we're planning on going back again next year. The Great Lakes Gassers have welcomed me into their group to race with them against the Nostalgia Gassers the past 3 years, and its the best time I've had in 36 years of racing.

16. Saxxon

Saxxon

Have to agree with John. If it wasn't for the Meltdown event I'm not sure I would even be racing these days. I build all year for this one weekend. Any other race dates I manage to get to are just a bonus. I love the Meltdown format... or better stated... I'm not a fan of bracket racing... not fun. I'll Test n Tune all day - everyday.

Like John - the Great Lakes Gassers have welcomed my brother and I into their group and I couldn't be happier about it. The GLG and Nostalgia Gasser folks are great to be around. I'm very proud to be part of it all. My only regret is being so far away from the center of all the vintage and gasser racing activity. Just getting to these events takes vacation days and planning...

This winter I vow to not make radical changes to the Scout and not be thrashing at the last moment. Then hoping for a race date or 2 at my local track to sort out the changes before Meltdown... The last few years trying to sort out the blower and carb combination was terribly frustrating (and expensive) The change to injected on alcohol for the blower combination seems to have woken up the beast within and confirmed my suspicions that the previous combination has been unerachieving. I'm hoping to get the wheel stands under control and optimize the new set up... some folks think the Scout has an 8.90 in it... Kind of scares me just thinking about that.

Hmmm... then again... I could upgrade the converted bus blower to an 8-71 with teflon, bump the compression from 8.14 to 10.5 or 11 ... add shaft rockers, aluminum rods and step up the cam... THAT should get the heavy Scout down track in a hurry ... and probably upside down through the lights... on fire...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  17. bobw

bobw

loudbang likes this.
  18. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Ha! Saxxon, you just can't leave it alone, can you?

loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

can't wait for next year!!!!

20. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I hear ya Moriarity! I have never been but I'm planning on making the trip next year! Joe

Moriarity likes this.
  21. cs39ford

cs39ford

Me too!!

Moriarity likes this.