Register now to get rid of these ads!

Me & Gramps' '51 GMC 5 Window Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cubby, Jul 8, 2012.

1. lahti35

lahti35

Great project! I'll be watching this thread... My grandfather passed way too young and I never got the chance to do a build with him, just helping out here and there. I'm sure you're treasuring ever moment!

2. shadams

shadams

Man you guys are kicking ass.....love it...

3. Coach529

Coach529

What an awesome build. Great job guys!!

4. Awesome build! I'm taking notes!

5. Thanks! I am very lucky!

I appreciate it! They're great trucks!

Thanks! Need more of these GMC's out there...the Chevy's are plentiful!

Thanks! I waited too long, I helped out with stuff here and there, but this is our first full build together. Wish it was our 4th or 5th, but life's too busy!

Thanks brother, just trying to keep up with you!

Thanks guys!

6. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Looking good! I want one!

7. No updates on the truck because I became a dad to our first, a beautiful healthy girl, two days ago! Truck progress will probably see a lull, but I'll update when work gets done!

8. Awesome and congrats! I took over a year hiatus when our first was born 2 years ago. take the time and spend it with your family. Sounds cliche, but trust me... It goes by way too fast. Best thing that ever happened to us!

9. Coach529

Coach529

That is awesome....congrats.

10. Well, the little Munchkin is over three months old and I got my first day back with the truck yesterday. We had a really productive day and I just love seeing little things come together. Rebel wire was out of stock on the 700R4 lockup kits for a while so we weren't able to get it put on before setting the cab. We finally got to it yesterday and since my tranny didn't have the 4th gear port we had to drill and tap the cover for the pressure switch. The hardest part of the whole install was replacing the cover and the lock ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall not a bad install, even with the cab already in place.

11. Gramps drew up what we wanted for our column mount and took it along with a block of aluminum to a good friend and he made our mount for us. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's gonna take it back and have a small section cut out of the underside so that we can put the factory wire cover back on and run the wires down the column.

12. Got the stereo and speakers all mounted up. Gramps made some brackets to hold the speakers behind the dash grille and we're gonna put a piece of foam in there to keep them from being visible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. This was the first time we've hooked up the battery since doing any of the wiring. Stereo fired up and really sounds good for only having the 4 small speakers. Wipers (Electric kit from Classic Parts) worked like a charm, and gauges lit up nice. It felt so good to turn that key (we're using the original key and a hidden push button start, instead of the pull device we made earlier) and have all that stuff work right. A big thumbs up for rebel wire. If I get to build another, it will have a rebel wire setup in it just like this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. We also managed to get the steering pretty much figured out. We just have to pull the column one more time for the cut in the the mount and then we'll be ready to mount our support bearing and hook up all the steering.

[​IMG]

All in all a very good day. Gonna head down another day this week and keep the progress rolling. Here's our new addition, I can't wait for her first ride with dad in the '51!

[​IMG]

15. shadams

shadams

DUDE!!!! Congrats man, I missed that earlier....funny, my wife is due in a couple months. That is a damn cute little girl there!

Truck is looking bad ass as usual. Love how it is turning out..

16. greaser

greaser

Very good job!
    Congratulations, you have a very cute little girl there!

17. Coach529

Coach529

Looks great. I love them stereo location.

Planning the same location for Henry.

18. Yeah she's awesome! Congrats man, is this baby #1, and boy or girl? Thanks dude, I've been keeping up with yours and saw the big order came in. You're definitely gonna beat me to the road, but I hopefully won't be far behind!

19. Thanks so much, we think she's a keeper!

Yeah it's a little unorthodox maybe, but I think it's a great spot and I have a little remote so I can control it without reaching down there all the time. Pretty cool to think that this truck has gone 63 years without a radio and I was the first to blast some tunes in it the other day.

20. Coach529

Coach529

I think it will work fine with the remote.

I just wanted a stock look from the window.....but cannot go without some music!!

21. shadams

shadams

#1 and and also a girl, cant wait! As far as trucks go, I may be on the road before you but when you are driving yours will be done and bad ass. I'll have to get mine driving and then work on it little by little....if I could get my Gpa of his ass maybe I could get more done!! :eek:

I was thinking for mine I am going to mount a 4channel amp under the seat and put RCA's coming out in the glovebox or even where your radio is, then use an ipod or mp3 player hooked up to the rca's which will play through the amp/speakers.

22. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

Can't wait to see more of this Truck. That's awesome that you are building this with your Grandfather!

23. Brog

Brog

Awesome build I'm hooked

24. Same look I'm wanting, totally understand.

25. I've been told by several people that every man should have a daughter, and I gotta say I agree, it's really awesome! I had thought about just doing the amp and the aux input for an iPod/iPhone, but I figured it would be nice to have the radio & CD. I had thought about mounting in the glovebox, but I want the space available instead of being filled with a head unit.

26. Thanks gents!

27. Made another trip down yesterday to work on the truck. Had to make a little more progress before the potential snow storm later this week. Steering is all together and welded up. Wheel turns really nice, and even though there isn't a ton of clearance all the angles look good and have enough room to operate.

[​IMG]

We also hooked up the shift linkage and it all works nice. Length of travel is different (longer from PARK to R) than the column originally had so the indicator isn't quite spot on, but it's close enough. We re-routed the vacuum line and gave everything a little more room in that area.

Pressure switch is all wired up and ready to go.

[​IMG]

28. We made a couple of plates that bolt on and hold the column tight at the base. The mat/carpet should cover them up great and the column shouldn't have any wiggle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. The center dash section was ready to go in, but with the existing "vents" you could see the speakers clear as day. So I got a piece of foam, cut it to fit, and sprayed it black. I think it looks great and lets sound travel through nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm loving how it all looks as it comes together. Definitely happier all the time with the color choice.

30. Shift and tilt levers, indicator, etc all back on. Cigarette lighter and new defrost knob/cable in as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]