Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical mcculloch supercharger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrod23, Jan 7, 2015.

1. hotrod23

hotrod23

I have 292 y block out of a 56 truck that I am putting a mcculloch supercharger on. It has a Carter wcfb carb on it and I am looking for info on how to make it blow through. I know the fuel pressure has to be referenced. Don't know about the distributor and the timing. It has a vacuum advance. I read some distributors also have mechanical and vac together. Also read I may have to pressurized the back side of vac advance and wondered if that would work. Any info would be helpful and appreciated. Also any where else I could look. Thanks

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I looked into this and gathered parts to modify an Edelbrock,
    I bought an air/fuel gauge, a vacuum/pressure gauge and a fuel pressure gauge,
    found a Studebaker fuel filter/pressure regulator,
    foam floats, marine plunger, larger inlet..

[​IMG]

I haven't done it yet but it looks pretty basic
    here's a link to somebody else's how to:

Edelbrock Blow Through

Hightone111 and loudbang like this.
  3. mickeyc

mickeyc

Speaking of A McCulloch supercharger. I found a gauge a couple of years ago that
    is a McCulloch item with a blue goose logo on the face. It does reference both boost
    and vacuum on the same dial. This may indicate that you are on the correct track in regards to both pressure and vacuum being needed together in your application. Just a thought as I have little knowledge regards superchargers.

4. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

The easiest way is the paxton "igloo" box although it wouldn't really have a 50s look to it.

You can basically just tune via jets but you really would want boost-referenced power valves if you plan on street driving much. A jets only deal is primarily for a WOT only setup similar to a mechanical fuel injection setup. Nitrophyl floats are required as well.

theturboforums.com has a giant blow-through section.

I converted a standard holley 650dp years ago with a extreme velocity hat and a turbo and had some time and a couple of bucks in it and ended up with just over 500rwhp on 93 pump gas and a built up ford 302.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

7. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

John Erb @ 775-883-6494

8. dtracy

dtracy

The Studebakers with a supercharger had a lower compression ratio than the ones without. I never tried to supercharge an unsupercharged engine so I can't say how much pinging and piston damage will occur, but it may be something to think about.

Dave.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The '56 truck Y-Block, depending on model, was 7.6-8:1 compression, if memory serves me.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There is a web site VS57 that has the most info on this. Possibly the most popular car for McCulloch installations in the fifties, was 2 seater Tbirds and Fords with Y block engines. Mostly in California. The parts turn up from time to time on Ebay and other places.

You need to pressurize the fuel pump and an electric pump for more volume. Pressurize the float bowl. Seal the throttle shafts. There are other mods too. More details on VS57.

11. 33FDPU

33FDPU

has anyone heard from John erb? He is a master at these McCulloch blowers. he has one of mine but I haven't been able to get ahold of him. anyone talk to him lately??

12. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

My old car buddy 28rpu on here sent John Erb as VS57 over a year ago sometimes he calls him and the reply is it will be ready next week !

13. the supercharged 312 had 8.6 to 1.....and the 270hp 312 had 9.7 to 1....according to the sales brochure... 1957 ford super charger.jpg 312 220hp.jpg

14. 28RPU6

28RPU6

FYI,
    After 22 months of waiting and tons of phone calls, I now have a John Erb built supercharger in my possession. Best of luck to anyone waiting on theirs.

Hightone111 likes this.
  15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Easy peasy. Carb hat, boost referenced fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump capable of putting more pressure out than you're putting into the carb. I ran mechanical advance only. Sealed the carb so pressure didn't leak out. I ran points forever until the distributor shit itself.

[​IMG]

Hightone111 likes this.