Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Maui.... HAMB friendly stuff?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fedman, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Fedman

Fedman

Fedwoman and I are heading to Maui for a couple of weeks, any advice on what to check out or do there? Thanks!

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oh man, do I ever have a "must do on Maui" for you.
    It's the Mt. Haleakala downhill bike tour.
    One of my most memorable parts of our trip.
    Two tips though, if you have not been on a bike in awhile, I would get a little seat time on one first, before you even get on the plane. The other thing is, if you choose the "Sunrise Special" they pick you up at your motel/condo at 2:00 a.m.
    Yes you heard me right, that's 2darkformestill if you stayed out too late.
    These are "cruiser" style bikes, so only one gear, and even though they say the uphill portions are vary moderate, you will come to a different conclusion if you are as out of shape as I was. I won't get into the details, just check it all out on the internet. Don't recall if this is the one we used, there are a handfull of tour co.'s there.
    Here's one.

http://www.bikemaui.com
    Enjoy

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Fedman and timwhit like this.
  3. Well worth taking some time, and go over on the north side and watch the wind surfers. Better than what they show you about it on TV!

philly the greek and Fedman like this.
  4. Fedman

Fedman

Thanks Guys! Waiting to get on the Plane right now! My ass hurts just thinking of that Bike Ride! I was hoping to see some kind of Hot Rod Stuff while we are there if at all possible.

5. They do have a dragstrip, dont know when there open and probably not hamb friendly. Not hot rod related but drive the road to Hana if you have time.

Fedman likes this.
  6. bedwards

bedwards

You need to do Haleakala especially sunrise and the road to Hana. You can rent a 4wheel drive and go all the way around the volcano. Also the whaling village of Lahaina. They also have helicopter rentals and you could split the cost with another couple. Its been 20 years since I've been though. Sure things have changed.

Fedman and 59Apachegail like this.
  7. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

X2 on the sunrise or sunset bike tour. There is an old photomat booth where you can buy a cd called road to hanna (goggle it or ask the locals). Pop it into the radio and it will give you all the sites down to the mile markers. Don't drive the road to Hanna until after "rush hour" is done. If you go past the cane plant the main road ends and you end up on a smaller local road. It is pretty tight back there especially with occasional oncoming traffic but the photo ops are awesome.

Fedman and bedwards like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

can always try Peggy Sue's in Kihei Saturday Evening - maybe some Hot Rods will be there.

Fedman likes this.
  9. bedwards

bedwards

Fedman likes this.
  10. rfraze

rfraze

I know of a nice '34 in Kapalui that I built for Stan Borge. (No pics on computer) Visited them for a BBQ once and they had a garage full of cool stuff. We even went to the drag strip and ran a fast go kart. You will see the strip on right during approach to landing. I saw a few cars in garages while driving around.

philly the greek and Fedman like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Eat at Bubba Gumps in Lahaina.

Fedman likes this.
  12. Fedman likes this.
  13. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

The road to the top of the island is great too. Zero to ten thousand feet of elevation in 33 miles, going through several climate zones; the terrain changes around every corner.

We went to the top to "check out the sunset" from the top, but found an extinct volcano, stormy conditions and sleet blowing horizontally with 50 feet of visibility.

Fedman likes this.
  14. Fedman

Fedman

Thanks for all the good ideas everyone!
    "Blowing Sleet" holy cow I would feel at home with that!
    Was hoping for some warmth and sunshine though.
    Looks like we have a lot of stuff to check out..
    Thanks again!

15. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I was there earlier this month. We went to a cruise night at a pizza parlor. They have regular Saturday night cruise nights and you can find information like we did by goggling cruise night Maui.

John

Fedman likes this.
  16. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

They don't call the Hana Highway the "divorce highway" for nothing. The new bride and I put it on our honeymoon to do list and figured we'd do it ourselves with an audio CD tour guide in the rental convertible. Seemed simple enough. After 10 miles of being yelled at and accused of driving faster than the CD due to absolutely nothing matching the audio to our visual, enough was enough. I pulled over, threw her the keys and grabbed a 6 pack. After a couple beers to help my thought process and drown the hostility from the lovely bride, I figured out we started the CD at the wrong mile marker. Apparently State mile markers switch to County mile markers somewhere along the route. Eh, who knew. Obviously not me. The marriage didn't last. I would absolutely rent a convertible to pop the top and take in the sights. Enjoy!

Fedman likes this.
  17. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I did some pinstriping for Stan on that '34 while on one of my trips there a couple of years ago. He knows all the hotrod guys on the island and is a really good guy . Like others have said there's a cruise night in Keihae that's pretty good . Just ask the locals , they'll help you out .

Fedman likes this.
  18. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Fedman

You might give Diane or Terry a call at Ridge Reality in Lahaina, for some locals info on spots to check out and they both are great gals

They are running my Aunt & Uncle's biz, since they have gone on to bigger places

Like the one post says to check out the Valcano then drive right across the valley, and go up into the rain forest where it is misting pretty cool stuff to see

Enjoy DND

19. Screw that. If you are down on Front Street in Lahaina, have a burger and a beer at Cheeseburger In Paradise, listen to the cool live music, and watch the sunset from your table upstairs. Then you'll know you're in Maui!

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey Larry
    You should have taken one of the tour vans and then fly back in a chopper like we did.
    Been together 36 years......... and still yelling at each other.

21. Fedman

Fedman

Thanks again everyone for some great ideas.
    We certainly will find things to do to keep busy here!
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

22. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Absolutely. I'll probably head back over there one of these days. I've never been on the same road on which the mile markers sequentially start over mid journey. Unreal. Made it as far on the Hana Highway as the black sand beach park and watched the mongoose run around. Cute little farts. Bottom line, get off the beaten path and take in the sights. Loved the sunsets, gave myself a walking Mai Tai tour of Front St in Lahaina and tried to hit local fresh fish for dinner every night. Big Mama's Fish House was jammed every time I tried to get in but there's plenty of other great places to eat. Jim Livingston, semi-retired Woodburn Dragstrip owner, snow birds over there. He may be onto something.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sent the ladies on their way to hit up the shops, found a cool open air bar on Front St.
    Just me, some of that sweet and salty Maui air, and a cold one, now that was spiritual.

24. Pretty sure that's the place that had the burger with the fried egg on top, loved it. Never mind, I'm thinking of cool cat cafe on Front, great burgers.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  25. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hey Fedman

What's you been doing over there in ' Paradise ' ?

26. Fedman

Fedman

What have we been doing? LOL!
    Enjoying this paradise beauty!
    Went up to Lahaina yesterday and checked out the front street stores and had lunch on the water side, Lahaina Fish Company, good food and great view.
    Leaving front street we passed a bright red 33 or 34 3 Window Coupe the steamrollers on the back were so big I dont know how the driveshaft made it to the rearend.
    Peggy Sue's is having a Car Show next Saturday evening, they are shutting down the parking lot and vendors will be set up as well. I am not sure what we will see there, but if any are HAMB friendly I will take Pics and post them up. Have not seen much so far as old cars go, but I am keeping my eyes open! Aloha.....

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yay, pictures from paradise.
    T's, A's, 32's, 33-34's, are all good.
    Honda's, Toyota's, Suburu's, not so much.
    Don't forget the Macadamia nuts.

28. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Don't forget to get some of those original ' Maui Potato Chips ', bet you cant eat just one bag !!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  29. Funny, we passed that same 3 window when we went two years ago.