Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***March 2017 Banger Meet - The Luck of the 4 Banger***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 28, 2017.

1. The model A and B do not use cam bearings. You have to find a shop that will align bore the block then make up some, usually bronze, bearings.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. In reality, the blocks don't wear too much requiring bearings, the Cams are the issue.
    Usually, the center bearing wears the most, this in itself poses a problem, if you put a bearing in the center smaller than the rear, the cam will not pass into the block.
    If you are having slop issues with the cam, welding is the best way to correct the problem. The cams are made from really good material and even spraying the center and grinding will hold up well (must mask the gear).

If you have the bearings put in, make sure to have the centerline correct to the crankshaft.

J

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

MJW

Why did you search SCINTILLA for info?

Most Wacos are really tractor mags..... not performance items....... I messed with some before I discovered Vertex fifty years ago..... My best advice is buy something good .......Sorry, I learned a long time ago it's hard to light a fire with wet matches.

Dannerr likes this.
  4. This from Waco/Wico everything - 1481.jpg

edfueler and Old Dawg like this.
  5. The impulse, in simple language, is a mechanism in the base or lower part of the mag. It retards the spark and it trips out prolly tween 250 maybe and possibly as high as 500 rpm depending 0n what engine it was designed to be used on. Wico mags used a lag angle of from 9 degrees to 12 degrees. The Wico mags that are a direct fit into the A B engine were used , primarily, on farm equipment and various industrial applications. Some aircraft used them also. The amount of impulse retard is called the lag angle. If used in an Aluminum head they will eventually work loose.

Old Dawg likes this.
  6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Like I said...... Please buy something good ;)

7. Muttley

Muttley

waxhead and Tiny like this.
  8. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

I didn't but that's what came up the Google most often for general mag searches, occasionally vertex did too.

True. I have a 9n as well. This is really just for fun for the Race of Gentlemen, pre WWII and all that. Then the Phaeton will go back to a cast iron Snyder's 6 to one and a 32 distributor. I'm not a racer but a tinkerer so this excersize is interesting. I've got a sunpro tach drive for it as well. My electronics engineer guru and Ham operator is restoring it for me.

Wico made two mags for the model A mostly for stationary use. Petenpol used model A motors in his design but most ran the mag off the rear of the crank. I'm sure you know this, just throwing it out for general info.

Mark

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  9. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

Thanks Bill. The impulse really "snaps" loudly sounds pretty cool. Not sure what it's set at but I'll probably figure it out when I get it fired and set the timing.

10. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

I have this in a manual but since #1 is not marked on the mag I just guessed hence my 180 out comment.

11. noboD

noboD

I doubt the mag for a stationery engine has advance built in.

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Doug

There is no real curve in any of them, in the sense of a distributor but a starting retard and a impulse are common features.

Yes Mark
    They will kick out a pretty hard impulse. I have a Vertex on the blown Ardun. One of my friends thought it would be good to turn the motor and got a rather loud report from it...... It was interesting to see his reaction. BANG!
    I nearly fell on the floor...... Thank God the carbs were taped up and it was only a sputter...

I understand "Theater"but always thought it best to not only look the part but be able to back it up when "Pink slips" were involved. I offered to race an 1898 Benz with my 1897 Goddeu once.
    Sometimes you just gotta do it........

ghornbostel and cactus1 like this.
  13. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

These are the stories from you that spark the imagination with.

Not theater for me (or for Mel) but a bucket list and a dream of running flat out on the beach in New Jersey. Amazing that it can be done with current politics and regs.

Last time I heads up raced was back in the late 80s. Had a 68 mustang 3spd 289. In the middle of the drag the yoke broke, driveshaft dropped and caught on an expansion joint, bit messy....

I have done the standing mile with the ECTA in Columbus OH and set a record in an OT car so all is not lost :).

The Giants dispair hillclimb in a T speedster is on the list too.

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

No offense to you meant......
    I had a Waco on a jeep motor in a low tail midget....... that mag was a mistake honest.
    Your better off with a good distributor with that rig. I have a set up stuff with mag and distributor in case the mag failed. Mags are hard on starers, fuel consumption, and you'll need to carry a spare if you get beyond your AAA card.
    These are theater too:

floatless carbn.jpg

Like the sewers of Paris..... These are engineering wonders but still full of shit

Old Dawg likes this.
  15. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

No offense taken, didn't even think of it negatively. I'm from Jersey, the armpit of America, so real thick skin.

I have a few rebuilt '32 distributors if I can't sort out the mag before or if trouble comes up during. Extra head gaskets and I'll bring the Snyder's head along too just in case. I'm a belt and suspenders guy.

I'm an easy two hour drive towing the Phaeton and Hagertys has had a vintage tow truck there in the past... Hopefully I won't need it.

jerseyboy likes this.
  16. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i have an ENGLE #4 cam, it's ground on an early 5 bering cam, does anyone have any info on this cam??

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I tried a mag in my banger , not happy with it as no timing advance . the 9* of lag helps it start but cant run enough advance to satisfy me . fs electronic self advance is much better in my experience

18. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

True but electronic isn't as much fun, at least for me, and certainly isn't period correct.

I also think painting the mag body black from it's previous street rod metallic purple is going to give me at least 2hp back and maybe a couple more degrees of advance.

Old Dawg, waxhead and ROCKER77 like this.
  19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

you mean that all the time I spent , it was the damn purple paint ! hope you enjoy it

20. My apologies. The video was not safe I guess

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

My firewall protection count pulled over a hundred hits on it with that....... Beware guys.

Sorry Tiny.......

22. Really? That's weird I promise I'm not trying to crash you guys any other suggestions on posting it?
    I'm pulling it now

23. Bluto is this better?

cactus1 likes this.
  24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

need more views . looking in the mirror is good but not enough

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Tiny
    I know. It's OK, I run a lot of security here on the Eastern Front.
    I've never had so many bad guys try to breach the system. It could be my ISP attracted them but I just didn't want anyone unprotected going here without a warning.

I have gotten SPAM from the HAMB before but not in a long time..... Ryan keeps the door pretty tight 'round here.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Tiny likes this.
  26. Next time, I'll have him shoot it from outside the car. I think he was holding on for dear life! Hopefully they don't fix the hole in the fence I slipped through;)
    "But honest officer I didn't see no trespassing sign:rolleyes:. As you can see by my Hop Up shirt on It's official research Sir:D"

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

jimski , be safe & take care of Z

28. If a magneto has a impulse you turn it until it just snaps over then time to number 1. I time mine this way to get it running then mess with it. Back in the day Ha Ha there were some guys that had so much advance that they would get the engine cranking then turn the mag switch on ! I ran one one the street and when it idled you could hear the impulse snapping over.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

Bill,
    That is exactly how I set it up, going to try to fire it up this Friday....

30. I was talking to some of the For Ever Fours guys about running mags and cautioned about the dist/oil pump drive on the Mod "A". The Impulse should be removed and to start the motor, get it rotating before enabling the mag.
    It also test s the "P" lead every time you start it up, just in case.
    John

29 Speedster likes this.