Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mammy's Whammy – 55/56 Chevy Drag Car – Looking for Photos/History/Stories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Oct 15, 2015.

1. I have a buddy who's restoring the Mammy's Whammy III 56 Chevy sedan drag car that ran in the Junior Stock or M/Stock class. There was also a Mammy's Whammy I 55 Chevy sedan and a Mammy's Whammy II 56 Chevy sedan delivery (pics of I and II below). The cars ran primarily on the central east coast in the 1960s. Think Richmond, Sumerduck, etc.

My buddy also owned the number II sedan delivery, but it was too far gone to save. He's having trouble finding any photos or documentation on his number III.

Any photos, history, stories, or contacts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mammy's Whammy I
    [​IMG]

Mammy's Whammy II
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. is that the car that someone found in a salvage yard a few tears back? I remember somewhere seeing a post about a retired gasser that was in pretty tough shape

3. belair

belair

Awesome cars

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Did you mean "II" on the green 56 photos caption?

D-Russ likes this.

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

6. I see by these pictures that the car ran in a Stock Class,not Gas Class. Not sure if that may help track them.

lothiandon1940 and D-Russ like this.
  7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looks like a II on that one on my end.

D-Russ and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

That is interesting, also notice the date on the photo (0ct 69) dont know how that worked on those old camera photos back then but... (I was born Nov 69).... anyway if his is III and wasnt built until II was decommissioned, the 56 sedan would have more than likely been a 70s car
    ......the photo of the 55 was late 66 or later judging from the 67 up ford truck in the photo.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    D-Russ likes this.
  9. The date would be when the photos were developed and printed. Something you would have to send out in the mail and have done for you back in the day. So the picture could have been taken earlier and developed later. I have lots of old family "Christmas" photos with March 19__ printed on them.

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and D-Russ like this.
  10. Dave, one place to start is to run down what we can find about Quality Auto Body and Paint, their primary sponsor. I'll ask around. Somebody will remember them. They were located here in Richmond.

lothiandon1940 and D-Russ like this.
  11. Bump stick.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. lee flowers

lee flowers

Mammy's whammy is in panama city,fl

D-Russ likes this.
  13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Got any more info?

D-Russ likes this.
  14. Yes, please post any photos or info you have. The car you're talking about could be no. I, but I'm betting it's no. II, the delivery. I heard that car changed hands several times up my way before disappearing.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Was't the Sedan Delivery being sold on E-Bay a few years ago? It was in sorry shape however, really sorry shape.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

D-Russ likes this.
  16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Anything to report on the restoration?
    Sounds like there will be several Jr. Stockers both original and tributes at the Tri 5 nationals.
    Butch the sedan delivery was on racingjunk a few years ago. Like to know where it ended up as well.

17. My buddy still has the car and it's still undergoing a full, very slow restoration. His growing family and go kart racing have gotten in the way.

18. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Thank you for the update.

19. bubba5969

bubba5969

Here is the car , I have it in Panama City fla

Attached Files:

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

upload_2019-3-23_4-51-5.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-23_4-51-24.jpeg
    Not saying it isnt the same car but it sure looks a whole lot different if it is, All the lettering is different, with the exception of whats on the door maybe, but even that almost looks readded if the other was sanded off,
    (The original door lettering almost looks like a gold/yellow, this lettering looks lite, ....faded?)This one has rear bumper guards, (Which could have easily been changed with a different bumper?)......been a long time but sure is different...........I like to see something preserved even in faded rusted condition but I think this one would look better with a redo and period correct wheels etc.........unless you have photos with this lettering settup from back in the day.......but would still do the wheel change reguardless.....just my .02, carry on as you please.
    Thanks for sharing!

21. loudbang

loudbang

22. bubba5969

bubba5969

Attached Files:

23. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I'm just glad to see it was not turned into one of those fake gassers.

quick85, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Oh the humanity; those wheels and tires on Mammy's Wammy!!! Pass the bleach please!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

The sedan delivery is BAD ASS!

loudbang likes this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

posted by Junior Stock in the NHRA Junior Stock thread

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940, Butch M and lumpy 63 like this.
  27. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Still look forward to a report on the progress on the 56 sedan.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  28. stumpnc

stumpnc

I remember seeing the sedan in a Junk Yard in the 70's. Carlton Tinsley ran a Salvage yard if memory serves me in or near Ashland va. My buddy and I were in our teens snd would go to his junkyard looking for parts for my 64 olds F85. He was a big ol guy with a flattop crew cut. I remember asking about that car sitting and he just said it was one he had raced..never went into any detail about it.
    I seem to recall it being green with Mammy's Whammy painted on it.. its been a loooong time ago but I can still see his face and him saying take it when I asked how much I owed him for the whatever I had rescued from the yard..

29. JC63

JC63

I remember seeing this car and a purple '55 with I think "Pappy's" something on the side. They were at a house on Greenwood Road in Glen Allen near Longdale rec center. I believe the house was owned by someone with the last name Tinsley or Comer. This would have been mid to late 70's and into the eighties.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. The elusive Mammy's Whammy III 56 sedan – I've been told it was purple, but I haven't found a color photo to prove it:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 10.13.24 PM.png