Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnesium wheel experts wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Ok all you magnesium wheel experts out there, what the heck are these wheels? I bought them this weekend, made in Argentina and for sure Magnesium.

Attached Files:

2. look like euro rims

3. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Is that Dow coating on them,or did someone just spray paint them? What size? Bolt circle?
    Not a bad looking wheel.

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Looks like these...

bauferchevy2.jpg

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

Kinda odd that the stick on balance weights are on the outside of them,but not bad looking wheels.

6. I looked at buying a pair of these a while back that were 15x14 - wish I could remember the brand name...

Steve

7. Algon

Algon

Western Wheel made something similar, as with the one piece wheel often mistaken for a type of Keystone. Every style was offered in aluminum or magnesium but...... they were made here.

What size and bolt pattern are they? That might help identfy them.

8. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

All four are 15 x 8 and the bolt circle is 4.5 and 4.75. The guy I bought them from said he had them for close to 20 years and bought them from a guy in Detroit who raced a 1970/71 Camaro and was tied into the factory. Thats all I know, the gold is paint that I plan to remove and coat the magnesium with Gibbs. They are very light and unique. They are stamped made in Argentina and have a 4 inch backspace (O offset)

9. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Stampings inside the rims.

Attached Files:

10. Safari-Tracker

Safari-Tracker

I wouldnt alter them at all untill you ID them. You could destroy the true value of the wheels.

11. mtpockits

mtpockits

can am racing wheels.

12. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

that stamp - EB - Ettore Bugatti....obviously these are one-off wheels for a Bugatti race car slated for the Pan-America Endurance Rally. Or not At first, I thought maybe just copies of something - but magnesium means it's likely they were mounted on a real live race car of some kind - but five lugs is sort of a pain in the patootie when racing, so...¿quien sabe?

13. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

The stamp is ER not EB. I am going to check them out real good tomorrow and post any new findings. Thanks for all the replies so far.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Mtpockets hit it earlier with the comment on Can Am racing wheels. Look at almost any of those cars from the early seventies and they all ran similar wheels to what you have. Most were of a knock off design though. I'm just wondering if at some point they have been machined for their bolt pattern. Trans am and IMSA sport series cars ring a bell for this type of wheel too.

15. aircap

aircap

Dunno what they are..... except frickin cool.

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Didn't all race sanctioning bodies ban Magnesium wheels in the 70s? They burn like a magnesium flare and require special extinguishers to put out the fire. Water makes it burn better. A flat tire could start a magnesium fire and burn a car to the ground.

17. Capochi

Capochi

Hi! I think these were the wheels, which was mounted the category TC in Argentina in the '60s- '70s, and also the Argentinian mission in Nurburgring with the "Torinos" .
    this model was made ​​by "Ruedas Argentinas" and named "Nurburgring".

I took this photo the last year at the Museo del Automovil Juan Manuel Fangio in Argentina; the wheels are very similar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

another pics, same design

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

other cars with similar wheels, same period:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry for my english-
    [​IMG]

18. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Capochi-

Thanks for the pictures and info, your on the money. Looks like a common wheel on old road race cars in Argentina, each of the wheels were slightly different but im sure all made by the same company. I wonder how they made there way over here in the states? They look killer polished and I think they deserve to be. Now to figure what their worth? I wonder what would be the best way to get them seen by the correct market. They are 4.5 and 4.75 bolt circle which make them fit just about all muscle cars and would look great detailed, you would be the only guy with a set around im sure. Maybe evilbay............:rolleyes:

19. Capochi

Capochi

you're welcome!, I do not know how they arrived in the U.S.

The price in Argentina for une of them is more or less, u$s 85,-

20. Weasel

Weasel

Man they have some ugly cars in Argentina - those Kamm tailed racers are reminiscent of the infamous Ferrari 'Breadvan' bodied by Piero Drogo....

[​IMG]

21. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one tough Rambler!

22. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Always liked this car. In 2004/2005 I had the chance to see it up close and spent quite a bit of time with the owner at a show in New Orleans. Even had the chance to see it run a road course. Definitely love/hate it kinda car.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  23. CalGasser

CalGasser

Dave,

Cool wheels! Mount them on your Willys and go CanAm racing...:D They remind me of the factory sponsored cars (Camaros, etc.) of the 70's that used to run - Donahue, Penske... memory's fading :confused:

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

What does 'Quien Sabe' mean?

25. Weasel

Weasel

^^^Who knows?

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Somebody must.

27. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

The price in Argentina for une of them is more or less, u$s 85,-[/QUOTE]

Are they still availible, and is that $85.00 US? Can you put me in touch with who sells them or where to buy them, thanks!

28. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Dave,

Cool wheels! Mount them on your Willys and go CanAm racing...:D They remind me of the factory sponsored cars (Camaros, etc.) of the 70's that used to run - Donahue, Penske... memory's fading :confused:[/QUOTE]

Vic-

I was thinking they would look alot better on your 55 Chevy or Henry J. Dont think our Willys would look right with 8 inchers on the front axle.....:eek:

29. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

What does 'Quien Sabe' mean?

I was wondering the same?

30. CalGasser

CalGasser

Dont think our Willys would look right with 8 inchers on the front axle.....:eek:[/QUOTE]

I dunno, maybe they would look good - ever tried? :eek::D:confused: