Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magic invisible buttons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prewarcars4me, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Model T1

Model T1

On my first car 49 Dodge, I used black rubber coated tiny momentary switches in the edges of the windshield rubber. In plain site but no one noticed. Not real great in Illinois in winters. Emergency pull cables? Back then we never thunked we needed any. Lucky we didn't. But many days I drove to work holding the driver door shut because of a frozen button.
    On my 54 Ford and the 49 Ford they were just under the rockers. On the 49 Ford I had side pipes and my toe barely fit under them to press on those buttons. Again, no emergency cables. My 1948 Chevy panel truck uses modern remotes like other late models. Inside I have a choke cable release for each door but nothing outside. Might be screwed if I ever start driving it and have a dead battery.
    I've seen those magnet releases at car shows but always forget about them. Great idea. The two cars I drive in avatar still have real door handles. Sort of a nice idea too!;)
    On my 39 Ford coupe I used a temporary release cable inside for shaved trunk. Went to the first Nats in Peoria, Illinois and the cooler in the trunk slid over that cable. Busted the inside trunk latch getting it opened. D'oh!

2. Model T1

Model T1

Problem solved. Have young wife wear hot pants and a low blouse to distract others. Worked everytime. This was before Daisy Duke wore Daisy Dukes. Actually it was when Daisy Mae on Lil Abner wore them in the cartoons.
    Never been broke into or locked out. Except that time I didn't have time to hook up a solonoid after shaving the trunk. Damned cooler slid over the pull cable.
    Have proof, sort of, about those hot pants. Somewhere some perverted car guys got wife on one of those newfangled video recorder things at the first street rod nationals which was in Peoria, Illinois. :D
    Some people think I make this shit up.

3. 312

from Cali

What's rain? ;)

4. been a rodder most of my 70 years. my 1954 GMC is the first rig with shaved handles. I put my Bear Claws in the B pillar instead of the doors so my emergency release cable doesn't need to go thru the door hinge. I don't trust any remote system that relies on my battery or wires.
    I'm not worried about someone seeing me open it. it will onlly happen once in public

5. You'll get over it....... I already have.

6. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

It would be my luck that this stong magnet killed the cell phone in my pocket.

7. Tin Can

Tin Can

very cool idea

8. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

or all your credit and atm cards. been there. done that. i really like this idea, but this is my only concern

9. You can use small/smaller magnets. Only reasons I said 1 of the big ones is you can activate it from several inches away and if I said small magnet, some guys would go for the tiniest cheapest pos magnet they can find and then bitch how it doesnt work :rolleyes:

I have a small magnet glued to the head of my ignition key ad it works fine. If you have a phone that frys from that....... might be time to not buy $2 phones :D

I keep my keys in my front pocket and my cards in my wallet in my back pocket. I dont know how effective it will be in your purse :D

10. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

pretty sweet thanks for the tech

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you can get RFID boxes that work the same way, but will only respond to a specific tag on your keychain, the issue with the magnet is a smart thief can figure this out pretty quick

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i built a backup for the door locks in my off topic car, that uses an independent alkaline lantern battery, I wont reveal exactly how i trigger it, but the lantern battery and a relay setup can operate the door actuator,even with a complete system failure and a dead battery, it's separate from the main electrical system when off, those batteries stay charged for years

13. The small magnets in your worn out electric toothbrush head are pretty darn strong.

14. Model T1

Model T1

I had to go back and see what forum and thread I am on. Real rodders worried about magnets messin up cell phones and credit cards ? I'll bet some of them do carry a purse! Hope it's a purdy one like mine!;)

I thought I was the only guy to put the bearclaws in the
    B-pillar. Did on my panel truck. Makes sense. Less wires through the door. Just a short choke cable for emergencies. But we never have those, do we?

Sent on a cell phone magnetically with my Sears credit card.:rolleyes:

15. Thanks for the info on how to do the magnetic entry. I may try this on one of my vehicles instead of the usual radio remote fob.

16. Thanks for putting this up. Very informative.

17. A smart thief will just use a rock to open the window.

18. Model T1

Model T1

Reminds me of something i saw on a bloopers show. A guy threw a cement block to break a shop window. It bounced off the glass and knocked him out. That's probably what would happen if I threw a rock at a car window!

19. They need that cell and credit card, so they can order a kit from 1-800-Gold Chainer.

Look guys, I was asked to put up a quick tech on how I do it. If you have a way that is better, feel free to put up a tech post of your own, rather than trashing this one. :cool:

20. Gone in 60 seconds..... "I got to get my tool" "Tool hell, thats a damn brick." :D

21. That's why I leave mine unlocked. Window cost more than anything inside.

22. I still can't figure out when my invisible ink pen runs out of ink...:confused::rolleyes:

23. Always excellent idea's.... Magnetism if finding more uses in "our" cars,but totally agree that a mechanical back-up is needed.

24. 27 tallt

27 tallt

;)Hey prewarcars4me, love the magnetic switch idea, but I have a question. If the solenoids are already being operated by a relay, why can't the magnetic switch just ground out the relay to that solenoid? This way you won't have to wire in an additional relay.

25. 1ton

1ton

This thread reminded of Wizzo the wizard from the Bozo show. He would wave the stone of Zanzabar and BAM....Magic would happen.

26. It could if you find one that can carry that amount of amperage. The reason for the relay is because the magnetic switches I use wont carry the amperage required to activate the solinoid. If you are already using a relay, then it only needs one relay. Most guys with a "button" that activates the solinoid, the "button" carries the load without a relay.

27. 27 tallt

27 tallt

:DThanks for the clarification.

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

GREAT post!

Here's what may be a Good question: Years ago, 1957 or 58, George Barris brought a chopped '50 Merc Full Kustom to the San Jose Autorama. As Barris would always do, George had a 'show & tell'.

He had a good crowd around, and walked up and waved his hand over the shaved door where the handle had been...the door opened, with a loud 'Click!'
    Was this a variation on the magnet theme, or was it done with the electrical static that humans have?
    This was 1957-58, remember.

29. I have no idea, but I'll bet it was a magnet (or a trick with a remote button and a buddy).