Register now to get rid of these ads!

MAC MB 1700 tool box parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadster36, Jan 13, 2010.

1. roadster36

roadster36
    from Sonoma

My MAC MB1700 toolbox has worn drawer detents ( the things that keep the drawers closed if you roll the box around) they are little plastic parts that attach to the rear of the slide rails. My box is 15 years old and they are worn and or missing. I see that MAC no longer makes or services the box. Does anyone know if someone else is making the repair parts. SNAP-ON has a totally different system so that is a no-go. Thanks for any assistance.

2. wow, that is lame.

the fact that you can't get parts...not your post

3. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

I would recommend calling the area rep and asking him to find the dealer who has been in the biz the longest. that guy may have it in stock. good luck.

and not to rub it in just proof of the difference in the brands, I as a SnapOn Dealer I got parts for a customers box from 1962.

4. Silly putty, or bubble gum would be my fix....

I wonder if velcro could work?

(Mine are busted too)

5. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Where you located? I could sell you some new drawer slides.

6. bry@n

bry@n

Sorry to bring up and old thread but Mac does service this box.

I have a mb1700 and all of my detents were worn. I called Mac, they asked how many I needed (which was them all) and sent me to an area rep. He ok'd the deal and Mac sent me new slides for every drawer.

If you need the part #'s. let me know. Oh and it was free. I didn't even have to send back the defectives.

7. slowride66

slowride66

I am in Central Florida & I'll take those Numbers please ....

SR66:D

8. chris-parts

chris-parts

I just got off the phone with Mac 1-800 number and they said detents are no longer available. Need to replace slides at a cost of $21 per slide or $42 per drawer. All of my detents need replacing so 30 drawers later it will cost me $1250 to repair my Mac tool box. They didn't bat an eye when they told me either. I had to call Mac 1-800 because I couldn't get any help from my local Mac man.

I have found that a piece of vacuum line (fuel line) will do the trick. Use one that when pinched together will barely fit over the metal tab sticking out on the tool box. I tried several sizes before I found what worked for me. Then cut 1/4 inch slices off the end of the hose and slip them over the tabs. The catch on the end of the drawers should grab the rubber hose and keep the drawer shut. Cost me a buck or two to buy a couple feet of hose.

After this experience I think I'll stay with Snap-On from now on.