Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects M/F-ing HOT RODS, '32 3W build for a HAMB member!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, Aug 12, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Body on and shimmed into place, the exhaust was up.

Two 35-36 Ford drive shafts lost their lives so we could build a killer exhaust.

[​IMG]

I cleaned up the tubes and measured the tapers on them to give me the longest section of tube with one taper end in place. The extra taper ended up being the reduction cone from the manifold down to the 2" section of pipe. Before we installed the U-bends we capped one end and filled the entire tube with DRY play sand and rammed it tight. I rigged up a pipe vice and some blocks on my table and a ratchet strap to assist in the pull to put a neat-o curve in the pipe per Ant's request.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Gotta test fit and consult with the boss...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boss man said more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I force Joel to sand all the blemishes out of the tubes. He hates me now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the front reduction cones and elbow got welded into place and finished off. We also brainstormed and came up with a simple bracket to hold the long end to the frame without being seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

if you haven't already said, how much is the coupe chopped front and rear?

4. I was told it's chopped 5"

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

thanks...the stance is great...the top of the tire to the lip of the fenderwell is dead nuts perfect.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Still kicking ass and taking names...

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey! I thought I had the only Chinese hillbilly in captivity!!! Looks like everything on our computer, just sounds better....

8. Tell him to lose that crappy Fram filter! Pipes look good.

9. redzula

redzula

10. So that wrapped up that, needed to add some mufflers or some sort. You were already teased to some that a few pages back. Here is how it went down.

Drew up a core, cut it. Joel made a hardwood pressing die to form some perforated sheet. He welded the cones to the core and I cut up a locking ring to weld to the end of the core so it could be removed like an 1157 bulb. A big one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finally got that Ox-Pho Blue from Brownells, neat shit right there! We experimented with it a bit to get the formula down. Joel and I found if we cleaned the tubes down good with a gray scotchbrite then cleaned the pipes with a clean paper towel and alcohol, then soaked a microfiber towel with the Ox-Pho and did smooth directional swipes keeping the tube as wet as possible gave us the best color.

Here's the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D-Russ likes this.
  11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those pipes are rad, tits and knarly.

-Abone.

12. Don't forget wicked awesome!

13. redzula

redzula

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That video was damn near as messed up as Judy's Chinese Rockabilly CD in the Mercedes... Yes, you heard me right. You've never lived until you've cranked "Pretty Woman" in Chinese with the windows down, in town. Weird looks ALL around!

15. not to forget beatufully done....

Lookin' awesome.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm sitting here in front of my computer with tears in my eyes because I've seen Jesus in those parts's you've assembled. It's breathtaking work and this is going to be nothing short of amazing.

Well done.

17. Steve, Just wanted to give out a BIG THANK'S for the shop tour......
    All you guys that have a chance to stop by and check out his work should make it #ONE on your list. COOL DUDE, GREAT WORKMAN SHIP...

18. That blueing is a cool coating, killer pipes.

19. Nice work Steve. Does the bluing offer any corrosion protection or just a color to the pipes?

20. Steve, I was wondering about the exhaust cones. Are they going to be too restrictive? Perforated material looks kinda small. Have you used this before? Just wondering. I like the idea alot as I have to come up with something similiar for my setup. Has this been tested or is this the prototype-Dale (The bluing you were telling me about when I was there looks awesome.)

21. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Just sat and gone thru the hole thread (avoiding the b.s) and love your work. really inspiring, a lot to take away.

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Real nice stuff now I gotta go get all the 32 frame shit outa the pile ….. Thanks man :rolleyes:

23. Damn straight!

Thanks man!

[wallflower] aw shucks. Thanks!

It does get a bit troll-ish to hear people bitching about what others have over what they lack in life, isn't it.

This is what is used on guns for corrosion protection. I assume it's not the same as chrome or paint. I guess we will have to find out how it works. It's easy to touch up though...

If you notice in the last few shots we changed the shape of the cones a bit. I too am worried about the resistance. But you ever looked at a SuperTrapp? They look way more restrictive but work well too.

[​IMG]

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks so much for the tutorials Steve! How do you decide MIG vs. TIG?

By the way, you are one sick musical puppy.:D

25. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

HOLY SHIT!
    I'm on the HAMB many times a day, and I've completely missed this thread.
    Awesome, awesome car, congrats to everyone involved.
    There's not a thing I would change, and that's saying a lot.
    I love all the workmanship, and the bolted together chassis.
    And all this mindless banter between the build pics is just icing on the cake.
    The only thing that pisses me off, is that I was just in Phoenix, and would love to have seen it in person.
    Keep 'em coming Steve.

26. [​IMG]

Thanks to the mods for cleaning things up, I do apologize for feeding the trolls.

Message to everyone reading this thread: BUILD BAD ASS SHIT!

27. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

Did I miss more hating ???

28. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You missed more hating from the people who are envious of the pure awesomeness of this build.

[​IMG]

iPhone - TJJ app

29. If it is normal gun bluing it will need lots of regular oiling. In Az you guys should have no issues. I would not try it in humid areas.

30. I must have missed something......but that is no surprise.....I only look at the pictures anyways.....;)

Great build thread you got going here.....learning tons.